How do I increase my calorie intake?

Options
Maybe its just because my body is getting used to eating differently, but a few days ago I decided to cut out all the bad stuff I have been eating forever ( ice cream, pizza like every few days, soda, mostly white breads, cookies, donuts, lots of cheese, cheetos, etc :/ ) and start living a healthier lifestyle...I also started drinking 8-9 cups of water each day.

The problem is that since I substitute all the old food with healthy foods like veggies, wheat bread/pasta, salads, fruits etc, my calorie intake is kinda low...like, about 1,000 each day give or take a little. On here, it says I need 1400 something calories per day. The last thing I want to do is starve my body...how do I get my calorie intake up while still eating healthily? I feel like I eat all day long...like 6 times a day...and I get kinda full off of all the water, as I'm not used to drinking so much...

Replies

• gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some healthy fats: nuts, seeds, avocado, peanut butter, etc. :)
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you just need to add a little more w/ each meal.
    it may take some time to get used to and do not eat past the feeling of full!!
    try having some almonds as a snack, full of good fats and calories.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more higher calorie healthy food. Try larger servings of lean meats, nuts, nut butters, healthy oils (EVOO), dairy, cheeses.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a good choice, as are high density caloric foods like nuts.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yup add fats! oils (olive) nuts, add some low sugar/salt sauces, make larger portions, ryvita are great too!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I always tailor my dessert based on how many calories I have left.

The base is usually always a yogurt of some kind. If I need calories, peanut butter and bananas always fit the bill. A little bit of Dark Chocolate is always a treat. If I don't need too many calories, I go for frozen berries, and maybe half a serving of peanut butter.

I like peanut butter. :love:

Wheat toast with some peanut butter. Almonds are always a great suggestions. Just keep the fats as healthy fats. Google "healthy fat foods" and you should get a whole list. Good luck! :drinker:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just because my body is getting used to eating differently, but a few days ago I decided to cut out all the bad stuff I have been eating forever ( ice cream, pizza like every few days, soda, mostly white breads, cookies, donuts, lots of cheese, cheetos, etc :/ ) and start living a healthier lifestyle...I also started drinking 8-9 cups of water each day.

The problem is that since I substitute all the old food with healthy foods like veggies, wheat bread/pasta, salads, fruits etc, my calorie intake is kinda low...like, about 1,000 each day give or take a little. On here, it says I need 1400 something calories per day. The last thing I want to do is starve my body...how do I get my calorie intake up while still eating healthily? I feel like I eat all day long...like 6 times a day...and I get kinda full off of all the water, as I'm not used to drinking so much...

add a handful of nuts ( cashews are 160 cal per ounce) mid afternoon, a few slices of avocado (150 cal per 1/2 avocado) to your salad or sandwich...stuff like that. I also make sure to allow myself treats when I have TONS of calories left to eat. One of my favorites is an Atkins brownie with 2 T of peanut butter ( about 400-450 cal).
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You'll figure it out after a few weeks or so. When I started I had trouble hitting my calorie goal. I kept adding in healthy snacks until I finally hit the mark. I find peanuts and almonds are a great way to hit the mark for me. I have also taken to adding 1-2 servings of sugar free creamer to my coffee or an extra snack of celery and two tbsp of regular (gasp!) ranch dreessing on days I know my calories will be low (i.e. when I pack salad lunches.) A little bit of fat is not bad for you, definitely watch the sugar though.
  • galaxiasmama
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

It's very complicated, but I shall explain, and I have science to back this up.
    How does one increase calorie intake?
    Eat More......:bigsmile:
    Seriously, a McD cheeseburger or a few spoons of peanut butter is better than a stifled metabolism.
    Just eat something.
    Keep it simple.
  • galaxiasmama
    Options
    You'll figure it out after a few weeks or so. When I started I had trouble hitting my calorie goal. I kept adding in healthy snacks until I finally hit the mark. I find peanuts and almonds are a great way to hit the mark for me. I have also taken to adding 1-2 servings of sugar free creamer to my coffee or an extra snack of celery and two tbsp of regular (gasp!) ranch dreessing on days I know my calories will be low (i.e. when I pack salad lunches.) A little bit of fat is not bad for you, definitely watch the sugar though.

Is natural sugar still bad? Like the sugars in fruits? I've noticed that I usually go a little over my sugar limit each day because of fruits mostly
  • brenbell
    brenbell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is low on some days too. I should be eating about 1400 a day. I have not hit my goal in calories yet. I am usually anywhere from 1000 to 1300. Some days I feel like that is all I do is eat. I do make healthy choices. But, my question is why do we need to eat so many calories? Is there a physical reason for eating that much?
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is low on some days too. I should be eating about 1400 a day. I have not hit my goal in calories yet. I am usually anywhere from 1000 to 1300. Some days I feel like that is all I do is eat. I do make healthy choices. But, my question is why do we need to eat so many calories? Is there a physical reason for eating that much?

I believe it is because you have to keep feeding your metabolism. If there is no food for your body to break down, your metabolism slows down because it doesn't have to work that hard.