Any campers out there?

Options
TrailRunner61
TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
I love to camp, hike, etc. and plan on going more often this fall. I'm in Illinois and camp mostly here but I can go anywhere in the U.S.
Do you have an awesome, fav. place to camp at?
I have a trailer but I also tent camp so I can do either.

Replies

• smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We are actually leaving next friday for a week of camping (tent). Sadly with work and life and everything else that gets in the way I don't end up camping as much as I would like to.
    Theres a few spots we enjoy. Unfortunately I'm no help with the states. We love camping on Clear Lake near Renfrew(Ontario, Canada)
    I grew up camping, we were there every weekend from season opening to close (13yrs or so) trying to push my Bf into the idea....kind of hard he's an indoor, gammer type :ohwell:
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Anywhere along the Washington coast... We head out there a couple times a year, pitch our tent, and fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. A lot of the places we go require a couple miles of hiking to get to, but they're sooooo worth it. Total bliss. :happy:
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Like to camp with my family. I'm from Iowa. We like to go fairly close to home-half the time we end up needing something from there. This weekend we're going to a nice one w/ a swimming beach, river close, lots of playgrounds and paved trails for biking. And a shooting range very close :)
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    We are actually leaving next friday for a week of camping (tent). Sadly with work and life and everything else that gets in the way I don't end up camping as much as I would like to.
    Theres a few spots we enjoy. Unfortunately I'm no help with the states. We love camping on Clear Lake near Renfrew(Ontario, Canada)

LOL heading up for a week at Sharbot Lake next week myself! Small world :o)

I've always been a happy camper... my husband too. We had twins 4 years ago and camped the first time with them when they were one - they love it just as much as we do now! (thank goodness!) The pic of them in my ticker was taken last year at our site on Rock Lake in Algonquin Park - perfect place!

OP- there is really some gorgeous camping to be done in Canada if you are ever up this way! Let us know if you plan a trip and we can tell you all the great spots :flowerforyou:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    We are going next weekend actually. Just got our tent out last night to set it up and air it out. I live in NE Wisconsin, so we have a TON of beautiful places up here. Door County, Boulder Lake in Shawno Cty, Lake Hilbert, etc. We're very lucky. Just hoping for some cooler weather next weekend so we don't have to suffer like last week!
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Camping is just about my wife's and my favorite activity. We bought a new folding trailer this January, and have gone out three times, with four more trips planned for the summer. With my weight loss, we're doing more day hikes. I love that I have more stamina, and it doesn't kill me to walk longer distances.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Anywhere along the Washington coast... We head out there a couple times a year, pitch our tent, and fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. A lot of the places we go require a couple miles of hiking to get to, but they're sooooo worth it. Total bliss. :happy:

High mountain lakes in Washington State. Council Lake, Olalie Lake, Horseshoe Lake. That's where I grew up and my most favorite places to camp. With Mt. Adams as a backdrop off the beautiful lakes you can't beat it.
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    Florida has beautiful camping. Blue Springs State Park is amazing, you can kayak, canoe, hike, and there are even manatees that you can pet (yes, they're wild). http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Camper here... every chance I get. I prefer the hammock to the tent. Have a trip planned to the Blue Ridge in Aug and a trip to the Art Loeb trail in Oct.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    Yes!

I'm really into backpacking. Did a bunch of hiking and camping last weekend. Took the time off MFP as I just ate what I wanted and didn't feel the need to track (burned around 3-5k calories a day and pretty sure I ate less than that).

In fact backpacking is one of my motivations to lose weight and get in shape. A couple years ago I was the slowest in the group now I am the fastest :D
  • spiffysara27
    spiffysara27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love camping! We usually go backpacking and try to hike in at least 5 miles. My favorite place so far is Red River Gorge in Kentucky. It's a really secluded area, and doesn't even have running water. You have to get your water from the local spring. There are some beautiful rock formations and lots of hiking trails, from easy to very difficult.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    LOVE camping Tent...we are leaving this friday for 3 days , I truly enjoy camping n the Eastern Shore ! Rock Hall Md is a nice place to camp as well as chestertown MD...we will be camping in DE this weekend, but I will go anywhere also ! Just love it !! Camping have been some of the best memories I have growing up and same for my son .
  • EmergencyGraphics
    EmergencyGraphics Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love camping (tent) but don't get to go as much as I would like. Darn work getting in the way. I do have a trip coming up at the end of the month. Most the camping I do is in upstate New York. Love spending time in the Adirondacks.
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I really like the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. -- At the end of next month I'm going to Sleeping Bear dunes near Traverse City, MI; my husband tells me its beautiful there.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Colorado most definitely.
  • Kswiss83
    Kswiss83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I grew up camping, we were there every weekend from season opening to close (13yrs or so) trying to push my Bf into the idea....kind of hard he's an indoor, gammer type :ohwell:

My BF is the same. He is from NYC and is used to "city life". I am dying to get him to come camping with me but he seems so hesitant. Any thoughts?
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping in a few weeks at Lowden State Park in Oregon, IL. I live in Michigan now and there are tons of beautiful areas to camp here, although it's been too damn hot this summer for tent camping with kids. Hopefully the weather cools off when we head back to IL.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love camping. I have a 'popup' camper that we've taken out a few times this year so far. I also love fishing so I always go somewhere I can fish.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    I always camp in the fall and kill furry, tasty things.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

LOL heading up for a week at Sharbot Lake next week myself! Small world :o)

I've always been a happy camper... my husband too. We had twins 4 years ago and camped the first time with them when they were one - they love it just as much as we do now! (thank goodness!) The pic of them in my ticker was taken last year at our site on Rock Lake in Algonquin Park - perfect place!

OP- there is really some gorgeous camping to be done in Canada if you are ever up this way! Let us know if you plan a trip and we can tell you all the great spots :flowerforyou:
    wow! small world for sure. :happy:
    We had some good times camping big/little Frontenac.
    Charleston Lake is the one we camped yrs ago. I'm looking forwards to discovering many new places.

And yes OP, If you ever think of crossing the border into Ontario/Quebec give a shout out I'd be happy to provide suggestions
    Wishing many days of great weather to all the campers :flowerforyou: