Thoughts on Phenylalanine?

Options
In my quest to consume less calories, I made the switch from original Coca-Cola to Coke Zero. This is certainly not easy for me because I love me some soda. Here's the thing, I've been able to do it (for the most part, except when I eat out and I treat myself with a real one)! But I'm afraid my mood is changing and I'm becoming very irratible, especially with my husband. I took a minute to read up on the sugar sub in Coke Zero and there were some quite intereting facts about Phenylalanine that I wasn't aware of.

I wondered what other peoples thoughts were on this compound, especially from a psychological standpoint? I realize it's natural, etc and from what I know, I am not PKU. What's worriesome is that I do have anxiety and trouble sleeping though and I wonder if the switch is affecting me?

Thankfully, by basically weening myself off real soda, I am drinking a lot more water which is obviously good. Hopefully I will be able to do that more and more going forward so that I can no longer be that dependent on sodas. I'm down to about 1 - 3 a day, so that's not too bad. Thanks for reading :happy:

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It can cause anxiety, irritability and insomnia in some people. Hence, the warning on the label. I would avoid it if you have been experiencing those symptoms.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It can cause anxiety, irritability and insomnia in some people. Hence, the warning on the label. I would avoid it if you have been experiencing those symptoms.

^^This. I have heard diet coke can be very addicting due to the ingredients. Not sure if this is true or false. I avoid diet soda all together. I used to drink 3 or 4 pepsi's a day... I feel your pain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Some will have reaction to it, some won't. Drinking a couple cans a day of diet soda doesn't affect the general population according to actual scientific study. Mega doses will but that would be like 20+ cans of daily drinking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking 2-3 Coke Zero's a day for the last 3+ years.

I'm as happy as a lark. Healthy and chipper :bigsmile:
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Some will have reaction to it, some won't. Drinking a couple cans a day of diet soda doesn't affect the general population according to actual scientific study. Mega doses will but that would be like 20+ cans of daily drinking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Uh Oh, some times I get a little too close to that :)
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking 2-3 Coke Zero's a day for the last 3+ years.

I'm as happy as a lark. Healthy and chipper :bigsmile:

I drink diet dr pepper and diet coke, So is coke zero better or worse than regular diet coke and why? :)

I also don't experience any side effects but I have known others who get headaches...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I choose Zero solely based on taste. If I am at a restaurant where Zero isn't available, I'll drink diet coke, because I do not like spending my calories on beverages unless they contain alcohol.
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    Options
    I choose Zero solely based on taste. If I am at a restaurant where Zero isn't available, I'll drink diet coke, because I do not like spending my calories on beverages unless they contain alcohol.

I agree that the taste is much better than the Diet sodas, which I can't even drink. I'm actually going to try to only drink soda on occassion. I'm scared but I'm going to give it a shot. Something worries me about the Phenana....

I hear you on the calories in beverages not to be wasted unless there's alcohol. It's been fun trying other kinds of beer that are lower in calories to what I'm used to drinking.