Offended by a compliment

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I would be extremely pleased if someone said that, then again I'm trying to build muscle. Instead, I went into GNC yesterday for supplements and the clerk told me I didn't need half the crap I was buying because I was "too skinny already". THIS offended me, because I'm trying to look tough lol.

The clerk said that to you? What a no no...
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that sometimes the things I find attractive aren't the things a chick wants to hear. In my early 20s I commented on a chick I was dating's wide hips. I thought they were awesome. She didn't. That didn't end well. After several more of these incidents I learned to keep my mouth shut about big butts and thick thighs and other stuff I find attractive. There was a chick running at the middle school track where I was running last week who was doing sprint intervals. She had obviously been working on running/conditioning for a long time. She had big thick muscular thighs and I thought "wow, those are some awesome huge thighs" but I used my inside my head voice - both because I've learned that girls don't always like to hear those things and because younger chicks probably don't want to hear that the creepy old guy is looking at their thighs.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So true... I've heard guys say those well-meaning and totally innocent comments before. I absolutely HATE the word "thick" being used to describe any part of my body. The word itself is just so... Off putting. For me, anyways. I much prefer words like strong, muscular, tight, or even voluptuous to... thick. Women who have strong and muscular legs like me (and the OP) shouldn't hide them!!! They are great powerhouses that can do amazing things, especially with a squat bar. I love my legs and butt! And as soon as they're chiseled, I'll love them even more!
  • dunnweb
    dunnweb Posts: 49
    Options
    A lot of people confuse muscular for toned. He could have been commenting on how tone your legs are.
  • Bizeebec150
    Options
    Strong is associated with muscular doesn't mean you are looking BUFF LOL - Crossfit tightens and tones everything keep up the good work! Remember muscle helps burn fat so enjoy and bask in the compliment and your new founds strength
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Today, I was at Crossfit and I have progressively been lifting heavier. I joined the eat more to weigh less group and have been eating more and have gained a little over 10 lbs in the process and will "reset" for few more weeks before cutting my calories.

ANways, one of the guys at my gym (who is almost 40 and married, but super strong) commented "wow! you're getting stronger and your thighs are getting muscular.. they look like one of those Crossfit competitors!"

He absolutely meant it in the best way possibly, but as a single girl who is turning 23 next week, I don't want to be MUSCULAR. I want to burn my fat and have lean muscle but i dont want "muscular thighs." I think there is a huge difference between being tones and lean, vs muscular... i hope this makes sense.

i want to be toned and lean, but DO NOT want "muscular thighs"....

i love that i am getting stronger, but for the sake of bigger thighs makes me want to cry. I already have thunder thighs with a lot of fat especially on my inner thighs and the inner thighs and my bat wings are problem areas for me so its just a sensitive topic i guess. l am hoping and wishing that this muscle will "eat" the fat away sooner than later.

i think im rambling but hope this makes sense. i am venting and confused about this compliment... gosh i need to find a man soon LOL. Thanks for reading!

You wanting to cry over this is absolutely the dumbest thing I have heard. If you are offended by a getting told that you are looking muscular, you should re-evaluate the work out you are doing. First off, while working out you are gonna drop fat, and look more muscular, that is your bodies natural reaction to exercise. Secondly that is a pretty beast compliment. I have what are refered to by most ppl as "Tree Trunk legs" and I love it. Eat your calories work out hard and gain muscle. You will look spectacular! BTW a compliment like that coming from a man, is a VERY good thing.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Today, I was at Crossfit and I have progressively been lifting heavier. I joined the eat more to weigh less group and have been eating more and have gained a little over 10 lbs in the process and will "reset" for few more weeks before cutting my calories.

ANways, one of the guys at my gym (who is almost 40 and married, but super strong) commented "wow! you're getting stronger and your thighs are getting muscular.. they look like one of those Crossfit competitors!"

He absolutely meant it in the best way possibly, but as a single girl who is turning 23 next week, I don't want to be MUSCULAR. I want to burn my fat and have lean muscle but i dont want "muscular thighs." I think there is a huge difference between being tones and lean, vs muscular... i hope this makes sense.

i want to be toned and lean, but DO NOT want "muscular thighs"....

i love that i am getting stronger, but for the sake of bigger thighs makes me want to cry. I already have thunder thighs with a lot of fat especially on my inner thighs and the inner thighs and my bat wings are problem areas for me so its just a sensitive topic i guess. l am hoping and wishing that this muscle will "eat" the fat away sooner than later.

i think im rambling but hope this makes sense. i am venting and confused about this compliment... gosh i need to find a man soon LOL. Thanks for reading!

You wanting to cry over this is absolutely the dumbest thing I have heard. If you are offended by a getting told that you are looking muscular, you should re-evaluate the work out you are doing. First off, while working out you are gonna drop fat, and look more muscular, that is your bodies natural reaction to exercise. Secondly that is a pretty beast compliment. I have what are refered to by most ppl as "Tree Trunk legs" and I love it. Eat your calories work out hard and gain muscle. You will look spectacular! BTW a compliment like that coming from a man, is a VERY good thing.

If you don't want to look muscular, crossfit isn't exactly the right place? Am I missing something?
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I Love Crossfit and started it over a year ago in hope of being building muscle, losing fat, and getting toned. I can't really control how my muscles look or are built

I guess i want this and don't mind looking like this
    http://www.flixya.com/photo/1393810/muscular-women

But when someone says muscular, I imagine this...I don't want this
    http://womensmuscularlegs.tumblr.com/page/2
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and knocking some sense into me :). I will keep working hard and hopefully shedding some fat will reduce the size of my thighs and just get fit overall! HUGS TO EVERYONE!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Let's see your legs and get another opinion. Most guys don't know now to describe muscularity on a female.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I Love Crossfit and started it over a year ago in hope of being building muscle, losing fat, and getting toned. I can't really control how my muscles look or are built

Even sure, those are some GLUTES! Damn!

Take the damn compliment, muscular is awesome, muscular is strong and big thighs are completely kick *kitten*! I now find skinny jeans a nightmare, do I get upset over it, no, because I can squat over my own bodyweight. Skinny jeans can f**k off, I'd rather be awesome.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The thing is - he didn't say your legs were getting BIG - he said MUSCULAR.

Different things. Perhaps he was noticing they were a better shape.

Also - there is no such thing as 'toning' muscle. There is muscle size and there is body fat %age, and various combinations give various appearances.

Toning is actually tonus, which is how tense the muscles are at rest.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I think you are over reacting and taking it the wrong way.... He was trying to be nice...
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Honestly - that stuff doesn't happen by accident...
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is that he noticed, the fact remains that you are undoubtedly building up that muscle. Think of it this way....when you are doing your reset after a long period of VLCD, and you work on building muscle during your reset, your body can believe it's in a 'faux bulk' phase. Even though you aren't quite eating at surplus like a normal bulk, your body THINKS you are eating at surplus at first because your metabolism hasn't caught up yet. So in essence, FAT and MUSCLE is getting put on your body. This eventually evens out and stabilizes towards the end of your reset and you should see a stall in your weight/inches or a slight downward trend in inches. This means you are ready to cut!

When you go to cut, that LEAN muscle is going to show through as you shed the fat layer and your legs will start getting smaller. For now that guy is probably seeing a mixture of the new muscle and fat and that's ok right now. Also, as soon as you go to deficit, you WILL lose a small portion of that new muscle (comes with the territory of cut) so having a bit extra now would be a good thing! It will take several cycles of true bulking and cutting for you to end up with seriously huge muscular thighs and the beauty of that is you can CONTROL how large your thighs get!

Take the compliment as a good thing that you are building up that fat burning muscle that is going to help blast away that fat during your cut.....You're doing awesome! It'll all work out in the end!
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    A compliment can be taken in any way you CHOOSE to take it, if you know it was meant as a compliment take it as a positive.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fitness is sexy girl own it! Being chubby is the alternative ;)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Always try to take a compliment in the spirit it is given. If you know the person meant something positive, you should see it as positive. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry but this makes no sense to me.

you want muscle but you dont want muscle? you want to look "toned" and burn fat and you're expecting something else besides musculature to show? what exactly are you expecting to show when you burn fat, kittens and unicorns?

is no one required to take biology and anatomy classes anymore??
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would be really excited if someone complimented my legs! Or any of my muscles! You should see he meant well and honestly i would really love that if I were you.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Serious? Nobody has complimented your muscles? Who is the guy with you in the last picture, punch some sense into him.