Lunch/snack ideas for nurses?

Options
MrsTomy
MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
I'm a nursing student and I just got a job as a nurse extern at a nerby hospital. I am working in the surgical/trauma ICU and I am really excited about it! Only thing is I will have very little time (30 mins max) to eat lunch...and I will be working 12 hour shifts! What are some foods I can eat that will keep me full for that long without being bad for me?

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student and I just got a job as a nurse extern at a nerby hospital. I am working in the surgical/trauma ICU and I am really excited about it! Only thing is I will have very little time (30 mins max) to eat lunch...and I will be working 12 hour shifts! What are some foods I can eat that will keep me full for that long without being bad for me?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hmm we'll something that will fill you up and last would be protien and fiber....so how about a nice turkey wrap (whole wheat wrap, with tons of veggies and maybe some lite mayo) maybe a yogurt and fruit to go along...that would fill me up and last I think....can you keep snacks for a quick pick me up, like granola or fiber one bars for when you feel hungry again but can't stop for a meal....

good profession girl!!!

hugs and good luck!
    Ali
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I am also a nursing student and recently started working at a hospital as a CNA. I have only worked there for about a month now and at first, I did find it hard get the right snacks in, not only to fill me up but also ones that weren't filled with a ton of calories. And the 12 hour shifts were difficult at first but I love it! I work the night shift, 7p-7a, (that was another task for finding the right foods) but I usually take, Fiber One bars, peanut butter crackers, bananas, Wheat thins or popcorn. Big meals usually never happen, no time!!

Good luck in your studies!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I posted this for someone else today...But I LOVE picking up Sushi (my favorite - California Roll) at the store. It is very healthy and you add the spicy green...forgot what it's called! stuff, along with soy sauce to zest it up. YUM!

I also buy the individually packaged tuna lunch packs. I love that it is easy to take with me and already measured. It isn't pricey either.

Good luck!
  • bbrantner
    bbrantner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a physician assistant and I love south beach diet lunch wraps. They are in the lunchmeat aisle, require no microwaving, low in calories and high in protein. Very tasty!!!
  • mfeidbo
    mfeidbo Posts: 24
    Options
    try these: Think Thin Bars.. www.thinkproducts.com They're gluten free and full of protein at 220 calories, with a good large glass of water, they'll keep you full for a good 2-3 hours. Also, I recommend microwaved potatoes with garlic salt and fat free sour cream. The baked potato has a high fiber/satiety count as well as carbs to keep you energized throughout your shift. But, if you're working for 12 hours on your feet... you're going to need a whole lot more food than that.
    I'd pack energy bars all over the place