Polish Sausage

Options
I'm pregnant and have a mega craving today for sausage, kraut and pierogies.
I was going to pick up some Polish sausage at the store and I was appalled when I read the nutrition info.

Sodium - through the roof

Protein - only 7g. Really?!

Ingredients: MSG, Sodium Erythobate, Corn Syrup and a bunch of other crap and chemicals.

Can someone recommend a good Polish sausage that is at least quasi-healthy? And FYI, I do NOT have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's anywhere near me, so those are out of the question.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    homemade kielbasa.

i had potato pierogies on my cheat week, they were divine.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love love love Polish Sausage
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    don't think you'll be able to get away from the sodium with that sort of product, but I have found that Turkey Sausage and Chicken Sausages are not too bad.

Maybe you could substitute a really good hot dog or Brat instead. :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    your best bet to get additive free sausage would be from your local butcher. They can tell you everything that goes into their sausages, I hope...lol who knows these days! Gotta be careful! good luck!
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    Options
    Why did I think this was going to be a rude post.......?
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're going to find anything in Valpo. I speak from experience. What about Whiting? I assume since they have pierogi fest there that there must be something local. Worst case scenario, that festival is at the end of the month.
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do any of the local markets have a full service meat counter and make fresh brats and sausages. Around here we have Hy-Vee and they make theirs fresh and they are deliscious.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    don't think you'll be able to get away from the sodium with that sort of product, but I have found that Turkey Sausage and Chicken Sausages are not too bad.

Maybe you could substitute a really good hot dog or Brat instead. :)

THIS! If you can find some local farm made, they are most times a bit healthier...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Find a good butcher in a Polish, German or Jewish neighborhood.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you could always check the nutritional info on all the kielbasa that is sold in the store you go to, and just go with the best one. too much salt one meal won't kill you, just drink a lot of water, and lay low on it for a day or 2
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Fresh made! Don't go for the grocery store kielbasa - if you've got Poles in the neighborhood, chances are there's a deli close by. I have 3 Polish deli's within a 20 mile radius of my house.
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know they have Turkey Polish Kielbasa at the grocery store,i make it for the BF a lot..wayy better for you then regular Kielbasa & it tastes just as good :)
  • andcowsfly
    andcowsfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whole foods would likely stay away from that extra crap. It may still not be "healthy" - it's still sausage.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Guys, she lives in a town of about 30,000. In Indiana. Her closest option is probably an hour away. I'm not saying the trip to Chicago wouldn't be worth it though.