Any campers out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Door County WI, Wagon Trail Campground - Hiking, ziplines in the area, kayaking, just a bit off Lake Michigan. Plus you can take a Ferry across to Washington Island from the very northern tip of the county. Everything is within 40 minutes drive up there.

Upper Peninsula Michigan - Wells State Park. You can camp right off Lake Michigan. Clean, modern facilities, lots of hiking

Kohler-Andre State Park, Sheboygan WI - One of my faves. Great camping, Lake a short distance from campsites, hiking and they have several in park Geocaches if you like that.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We are actually leaving next friday for a week of camping (tent). Sadly with work and life and everything else that gets in the way I don't end up camping as much as I would like to.
    Theres a few spots we enjoy. Unfortunately I'm no help with the states. We love camping on Clear Lake near Renfrew(Ontario, Canada)
    I grew up camping, we were there every weekend from season opening to close (13yrs or so) trying to push my Bf into the idea....kind of hard he's an indoor, gammer type :ohwell:

My BF is the same. He is from NYC and is used to "city life". I am dying to get him to come camping with me but he seems so hesitant. Any thoughts?

A cheap camper!

My wife refused to go camping, no tents, no not sleeping rough. Well we got a camper on Craigslist for about $2000 and she loved it, was big enough to sit in when the weather was bad and could sleep off the ground, but for everything else we lived outside.

Ended up with a bigger better camper and doing a lot of traveling, but life and health got in the way and we sold the truck and camper :( we'll get back to it later.

(Yes I know the purists will say Campers are not camping, but when the tenters get washed out with the rain and go home next morning I really liked the solid sides)
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    We go every year. Maine and NH are great places to go. Rockford IL was nice too. We have also stayed in PA in a few spots that were nice.

We either use our Pop up, or a tent. It all depends on how long we are going for and if there is power available.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Awesome camping in Montana! I go every possible weekend. Summer is way to short here to not get out and enjoy it!!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are going on our first camping trip (ever for me, since he was a kid for him) this weekend. We've in NV, so we're heading up to Mount Charleston. It's about an hour drive from Las Vegas. If all goes well, I hope to make a trip to Zion NP and also Grand Canyon North Rim this year. We're avid hikers and look forward to hiking to the river at Grand Canyon. I'm so excited to try this out!! :bigsmile:
  • mgood989
    mgood989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love to camp. Some of my favorite places to camp are Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod (MA) and Arcadia National Park in Maine. Both places offer great opportunities to go hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. Exploring the tidal pools in Maine or walking out a 1/2 mile on the tidal flats of Cape Cod Bay and never having the water get much deeper than you knees are very cool experiences. We tent camp but you can use either a tent or camper in both parks.
  • dsmease7
    dsmease7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My wife & I love to camp & so does our son! We live in PA where ther ate a lot of State Parks to camp at that have many hiking & biking trails along with beautiful wooded campsites. We do have a travel trailer we use, started out tenting & after a few rainouts we upgraded:)

I do agree with a previous poster on Acadia National Park. We camped in that area last year for a week. Awesome place to enjoy the great outdoors. Only one more week till we go again!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    We are actually leaving next friday for a week of camping (tent). Sadly with work and life and everything else that gets in the way I don't end up camping as much as I would like to.
    Theres a few spots we enjoy. Unfortunately I'm no help with the states. We love camping on Clear Lake near Renfrew(Ontario, Canada)
    I grew up camping, we were there every weekend from season opening to close (13yrs or so) trying to push my Bf into the idea....kind of hard he's an indoor, gammer type :ohwell:

My BF is the same. He is from NYC and is used to "city life". I am dying to get him to come camping with me but he seems so hesitant. Any thoughts?

A cheap camper!

My wife refused to go camping, no tents, no not sleeping rough. Well we got a camper on Craigslist for about $2000 and she loved it, was big enough to sit in when the weather was bad and could sleep off the ground, but for everything else we lived outside.

Ended up with a bigger better camper and doing a lot of traveling, but life and health got in the way and we sold the truck and camper :( we'll get back to it later.

(Yes I know the purists will say Campers are not camping, but when the tenters get washed out with the rain and go home next morning I really liked the solid sides)
    I hear you, we've done it all. Walked in with a tent, had a popup, then a bigger popup, then a trailer and now a trailer with slideouts. People also tell us that we arent camping. Welllll, after hiking, fishing, boating, swimming, geocaching, canoeing, cooking by the fire all day...I like my air conditioner, microwave, showers, satellite tv, etc. to relax. LOL We basically only stay in it to sleep. I do miss tent camping but my achy bones like my queen sized bed. Also, my husband is ill so it's easier on us to leave everything in the camper rather than pack a ton of stuff each and every time we go. So far this year I've camped about 6 weeks. :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Getting advice from people who have 'been there' is the best! Happy camping!
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Deleware and VA coasts have great campgrounds!!!

Penssylvania has a ton, too!
  • lme0627
    lme0627 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We just bought a camper last fall and have just started going this year. LOVE IT. So far we have camped only at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border. We have a 4 yr old and he loves it. (This is a private campground so I gotta throw a disclaimer in here- this is my kind of camping- have indoor/outdoor pools, bowling alley, 3 places to eat and get adult beverages drinks :happy: )
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

A cheap camper!

I hear you, we've done it all. Walked in with a tent, had a popup, then a bigger popup, then a trailer and now a trailer with slideouts. People also tell us that we arent camping. Welllll, after hiking, fishing, boating, swimming, geocaching, canoeing, cooking by the fire all day...I like my air conditioner, microwave, showers, satellite tv, etc. to relax. LOL We basically only stay in it to sleep. I do miss tent camping but my achy bones like my queen sized bed. Also, my husband is ill so it's easier on us to leave everything in the camper rather than pack a ton of stuff each and every time we go. So far this year I've camped about 6 weeks. :)

Been tent camping my entire life and last summer was the first time we trailer camped with some friends. Honestly....I LOVED it. AC when it was super hot...radio, etc. I can definately see the hubby and I getting a camper one of these years...
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Big time camper here (fifth wheel).

We have camped at:

Fort Wilderness (FL)
    Val Cartier (QC)
    Morin Heights (QC)
    Camper's City (NB)
    Malybel (NB)
    Various places in PEI
    but our favourite spot is...

Sugarloaf (NB) because of the bike park. We have developed a LOVE for downhill biking. We also get a chance to mountain bike and hike there too... nothing but a good time :)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We just bought a camper last fall and have just started going this year. LOVE IT. So far we have camped only at Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border. We have a 4 yr old and he loves it. (This is a private campground so I gotta throw a disclaimer in here- this is my kind of camping- have indoor/outdoor pools, bowling alley, 3 places to eat and get adult beverages drinks :happy: )

OK, I've been to some fancy campgrounds, but never had a bowling alley :)
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    lake chelan and Wenatchee (In washington state) are where we like to go :-)

I love camping and walking on trails, I love nature!
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    lake chelan and Wenatchee (In washington state) are where we like to go :-)

I love camping and walking on trails, I love nature!

We just camped out at Lake Chelan a little over a month ago! Beautiful area... :bigsmile:

And yes - the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area in the Cascades are wonderful, too!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    lake chelan

One of my best childhood memories is of Lake Chelan. I'm from Toronto, and our family always camped. In 1965 we camped across Canada to the west coast, and crossed the border into the US to make our way back. We camped at Lake Chelan, and there was a swimming area built into the lake with wooden decking marking an area for kids to swim in. We were all good swimmers (I was 9) because my mom grew up on a river in northern Manitoba, and insisted all her kids be strong swimmers. We were allowed to swim outside the decking, and my brother and I were trying to figure out if it was safe to dive in. It looked too shallow for diving, so we jumped in, expecting the water to be about 4 feet deep. It was closer to 12 feet deep. The water was so clear. I bet you could have thrown a quarter in and be able to call heads or tails. Amazing!

Also, I had a good friend in Toronto whose family had a cottage on Clear Lake near Renfrew, Ontario, and we passed Sharbot Lake on the way. Beautiful area! Anyone camping near Bancroft, Ontario, I highly recommend Silent Lake Provincial Park.

I live in the UK now, and my wife was initially reluctant to try camping. When we finally did get out and do it she became a convert, and actually instigated us buying lots of camping equipment and a fabulous (and massive!) tent. Camping here is nowhere near as rustic as I'm used to, but it's still a great and relaxing way to spend a few days.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Love camping. My husband and I go camping with friends every summer. We tent camp, only way to go. Nothing is as relaxing to me as sitting around the campfire, falling sleep listening to the crickets and then waking up to the birds and NO CARS.

We are going in four weeks. We always go to Watkins Glen, Finger Lakes NY. I wish we could go more often but getting time off work is difficult (I work two jobs). I cannot WAIT, I get all reminicent just thinking about it.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    The Finger Lakes area is beautiful. Only camped there once, and also camped at Saranac Lake and near Lake Placid.

Have a great time!