Anyone on the Paleo Diet?

Options
How is working for you?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do vlc - 20 grams a day.

i can't imagine losing weight any other way.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am, its good, I'm not hungry, I feel really good about what I'm eating and don't feel deprived. I'm feeling a slightly sluggish from cutting out the carbs though, but from what I understand that is normal and will not last.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't do any diet, because you will gain it all back! I think MFP is about a lifestyle change, not a diet
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I try to stay on Paleo and have lost about 15 lbs. since I started about 2 months ago. I find it to be hardest at lunchtime while at work to find things to eat that don't come on a roll or bread. I've recently messed up by eating some junk food and desserts - my biggest setback was eating 4 slices of pizza last weekend - my weight went up 2.7 lbs over night and has mostly dropped back down again, now.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I don't do any diet, because you will gain it all back! I think MFP is about a lifestyle change, not a diet

I wouldn't really call paleo a "diet"
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started a "if it used to be alive, I'll eat it" diet, and then found out that's basically a paleo diet. I've cut out most dairy except for straight milk (and occasionally ice cream, but even then I've switched mostly to organic sorbet instead), and I changed all of my carbs to whole wheat instead of just cutting them out. I might eventually cut them out, but I need the extra energy right now.

I feel great. I'm losing weight (finally!), and I'm generally in a better mood. Giving up the white flours and sugars tightened my waist by an inch almost immediately. I really feel full because I don't have to worry nearly so much about portions.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm following JERF*, which is a whole lot like "paleo". Lost 30 pounds in six months, followed by an attempt to gain lean weight on it over the next six months which has so far yielded ~11 pounds gained...(was ~15 pounds gained as of last week, but unexpectedly lost a few of those pounds gained ... *shrug*).

Gaining on this diet, so far, is...challenging.

(*Just Eat Real Food)

EDIT: Oh, and I predict that this thread will blow up...or implode...but either way, will probably get ugly.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

I wouldn't really call paleo a "diet"

This^

Paleo is a lifestyle change. If you go paleo and then go back you'd def gain some.

I'm not a paleo but it is intriguing. Very divisive. It seems people either swear by it or think its complete psycho BS. I'd like to try it someday though. It's just a huge change to undertake and I have other priorities at the moment.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I don't see why anyone would stop doing paleo once you start it. It's not a fad diet or something you do to lose weight quickly, it's a change in lifestyle and how you fuel your body. Maybe you should look more into what paleo is. By the way, "diet" as a noun isn't an exclusive term to "way of eating with the goal of losing weight". It's the word that describes the types of foods you eat.
  • fit_momma
    fit_momma Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree, its more like healthy eating.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

EDIT: Oh, and I predict that this thread will blow up...or implode...but either way, will probably get ugly.

Exactly. Like I said, very divisive and people really seem to not know how to agree to disagree on this topic. Don't know why.
  • ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm following JERF*, which is a whole lot like "paleo". Lost 30 pounds in six months, followed by an attempt to gain lean weight on it over the next six months which has so far yielded ~11 pounds gained...(was ~15 pounds gained as of last week, but unexpectedly lost a few of those pounds gained ... *shrug*).

Gaining on this diet, so far, is...challenging.

(*Just Eat Real Food)

Good Job!! I like your JERF diet!

• scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Love the Paleo diet. Check out Nerd Fitness.com
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options

(*Just Eat Real Food)

ha, this exactly!!! I was low carb, then went more intense with Paleo...now I'm pretty much that but I only have one rule...WHOLE FOODS!! it has to be real, not processed food. Grass fed beef, free range chicken/eggs, vegetables galore, the way our ancestors ate. I've never felt better!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal. Love it and it's working for me. I never go hungry, that's for sure.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    I struggled with the Paleo - headaches etc. I now eat decent food and do the maths. More out than in - weight drops.
  • fit_momma
    Options
    JERF is the way to go! Processed foods are the number one cause of obesity and health problems. (Stay away from JUNK)!
  • fit_momma
    Options
    Good to hear it's working for you. So many people are physically and mentally affected by refined carbs and don't realize it till they curb or climate it from their diet.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I try to stay on Paleo and have lost about 15 lbs. since I started about 2 months ago. I find it to be hardest at lunchtime while at work to find things to eat that don't come on a roll or bread. I've recently messed up by eating some junk food and desserts - my biggest setback was eating 4 slices of pizza last weekend - my weight went up 2.7 lbs over night and has mostly dropped back down again, now.

whatever you want on bread... without the bread.

i make sandwiches into salads all the time.
    burger on salad.
    deli meat in salad
    BLT salad.

when you get pizza, eat the toppings, chuck the crust
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the Paleo - headaches etc. I now eat decent food and do the maths. More out than in - weight drops.

I had headaches for the first couple of days,but they went away pretty quickly.

I eat 'real food'. Ive been what would be classed as paleo for about a month now and Ive never felt better. Like to the point where Im creepily happy. I dont eat low carb paleo, I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, including sweet potato. The food I eat is delicious and Im really enjoying myself. I do have one day a week (usually a Saturday) in which if I want something non-paleo (like a dairy dessert at a restaurant) I'll have it, but lately Ive been finding myself wanting non-paleo food less and less. If I dont go to a restaurant I dont bother with a 'free meal' or whathaveyou, I'll just make something yummy and paleo at home (like a big *kitten* steak with sweet potato wedges and guacamole). I do have a non-paleo protein shake.

Im not eating this way to lose weight, though I have lost some (Ive mostly attributed that to the fact that I started working out differently), as I make sure I eat a lot to keep me going for my workouts. Being strong and becoming leaner is my main concern, with strength foremost at the moment, all good things in time.

Paleo seems to be a bee in a lot of peoples bonnets, but whatever, I eat healthy, good, nutritious, delicious food, and I enjoy it.