calories see high

Options
my goal for each day is to have 2300 calories w/ my exercise counted in. this seems like alot of calories , this is my second day i have tracked everything and each day i eaten pretty much what i wanted and still coming up about 750 cals short of my daily total, im not hungry, is this ok or do i need to eat as close to my daily goal as possible...im 6' 245 ....goal 205

Replies

• dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    that does sound like a lot of calories. How many do you burn with your exercise? i burn nearly 900 and i still don't get to eat that many. Mine is a little over1800 but then i also have a desk job. If your on your feet and on the move most of the day that could be why.
  • AndrewCols
    AndrewCols Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure they have some messed up math.

It told me I can eat almost 2100 a day, if i ate that much I'd totally gain weight.

Hell I have been eating less than 1400 a day and im still not losing weight.. so im not sure i would trust their calculations.
  • ncoller
    ncoller Posts: 1
    Options
    To be very honest I recommend any who uses this site talk to a Dr. or nutritionist about yor calorie intake and %'s. I used this site for the most part of 2006 and I lost 65lbs. However I used it only to track my food as a tool and did the custom calorie, fat and carbs per the nutrionist recommendations. According to both the nutrionist and personal trainer I saw, the caloric intake was way too low to actually loose weight. On the contrary, dropping so low can cause your body only to burn what you put in it. Andrew, this may be why at 1400 you are not losing. Metabolism will adjust to burn what you give it, which is why many times when people go on crash diets with shakes and bars, they of course loose the weight because the calories are so low but realistically you can't eat shakes and bars forever so when you go back to eating normal, you body at that time is only used to burning what you previously gave it and the pounds come back. The nutrionist told me while is sounds odd, people trying to lose weight sometimes need to eat more than they think in order to burn and not conserve.

Additonally, while exercising, no matter how many calories you burn with exercise does not mean those are "free" calories just to eat which I think is what this site teaches. My intake with exercise was set at 1800-1900 and without exercise 1600-1700. Which is only a minimal difference and nothing compared to what I may burn durning and hour work out. And those levels are a recommended 1- 1.5 lbs per week which is all the nutrionist recommed losing.

Seeing the nutrionist was worth it for me to make sure I was on target with my levels to lose and do it the right way to keep it off. It's just a suggestion. I think this site is great and again I've been a member for almost 1.5 years but I do think its generalized and it's best to set custom goals per a recommendation of a professional.
  • big_guy
    big_guy Posts: 8
    Options
    While I agree with the previous poster, I would point out that eating too few calories can be hazardous to a diet as well. Judging by your screen name, AndrewCols, I would assume you are a guy. If so, 1400 calories per day may be too low a goal causing your body to go into starvation mode.

The original poster claimed his total calories for the day was 2300 when exercise was included. If I add hiking for an hour to my exercise for a day, my allotted total calories jumps from 1700 to 2500! 800 calories burned in an hour may seem high to a 120 pound person, but a 270 pound person does burn more calories than a lighter person doing the same exercise for the same amount of time.

Of course that doesn't mean I NEED to eat all the calories I "earned" by exercising -- only that if I burned that many calories then ate that many, I would net the same number of calories as if I had eaten my standard 1700 without exercise.

With that said, I try to stick to my standard daily allotment of 1700 calories regardless of how many calories I burn during exercise. If I go a little over, all is well thanks to the workout, but I make an effort never to go more than 100 calories BELOW the minimum listed!

I've compared the numbers this site comes up with against a few other free sites and they all seem to be about the same so I don't know that I really agree that their math is off. More likely, how the end user interprets that math may be a problem.

Just my 2 cents...
  • ragsrulz
    ragsrulz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It keeps telling me...the website, when you click when you are finished with logging food and exercise, that I am not eating enough and need to increase my calories....but if I am not hungry........???????????
  • MissEm915
    Options
    does anyone have some advice on something healthy to eat that maybe has higher calories? I don't come anywhere close the calories that this site says i need sometimes, but i don't want my body to think it's starving. i am eating if i'm hungry...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Miss em,

nuts. a handful of walnuts has almost 200 calories in them.
    avocados are a regular calorie bomb. Around 300 calories, and full of good fats and fiber.

an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter is around 300 calories (depending on the apple) as well.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    my goal for each day is to have 2300 calories w/ my exercise counted in. this seems like alot of calories , this is my second day i have tracked everything and each day i eaten pretty much what i wanted and still coming up about 750 cals short of my daily total, im not hungry, is this ok or do i need to eat as close to my daily goal as possible...im 6' 245 ....goal 205

your a male in his 30s. that doesn't sound high unless you are under 5' 7" My maintenance caloires without exercise is 2750.

I am slightly taller then you (6' 2") and was around the same weight when I started (235) but yeah, that sounds right. trust me. 2100 calories is right up your ally. If your eating 1400 then your way low. Ask anyone on here, I have been doing this for the better part of 7 months and have never had an issue with the site's numbers, with the rare exception of very petite women (and that is a completely different topic)

you should definately be in the 2000 range or higher!
    If your eating that few, your body is probably hoarding calories, which is why you aren't loosing weight.

you REALLY need to ready this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?hl=viv&page=1#posts-44824
  • MissEm915
    Options
    Miss em,

nuts. a handful of walnuts has almost 200 calories in them.
    avocados are a regular calorie bomb. Around 300 calories, and full of good fats and fiber.

an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter is around 300 calories (depending on the apple) as well.

thank you! the apple with peanut butter is a great idea. i will go have some right now ;)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    it's the best. also good is almond butter. I mix cinnamon into it.:flowerforyou: