too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat about half my weight in protein (g).....I'm not a doctor, and neither is she, but it seems to work for me.
  • cherrybl0ssoms
    cherrybl0ssoms Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with 1g of protein per lb of body weight - been doing this since January and no negative effects! I am more energetic and feel great. Definitely do some googling if you have more questions, and ultimately, find what works for YOU!
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Anything over 150 - 180g on a regular basis is probably going to put an excessive load on your kidneys. Plus, if your body can't use it, it will convert it into fat, even if you are within your maintenance calories.
    I usually eat between 150-200g of protein per day. I've done this for the past year or so. No problems losing, no kidney problems either. I'm 5'9" currently 330 lbs.

I agree with eating a lot of protien, as stated above. My one caution is to watch out for supplements that give you too much protien at once. Your body can only process (depending on the person and metabolism) 8-15g / hour. So the "SUPER EXTRA PROTIEN SHAKE 68g OF PROTIEN" is a waste, you are not getting all of that protein. They are expensive and if you waste it you are paying a ton of money to poop out protein shakes.

I drink shakes everyday, and usually about 25-35g per shake.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Most nutrition and government sites I've perused indicate a healthy protein range for adults is between 10 and 35%.

As another poster commented, high protein can have a negative impact on some people, and you usually do not know ahead of time if you are susceptible. Though if gout runs in the family, that is a tip off.

Protein tends to ontribute to a 'full' feeling and can help absorb excess water in your system.

Like many other things it may be best in moderation, and your body needs a variety to be healthy so make sure you are not eating the very same foods every day.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that unless you're trying to go extremely low carb and high protein and low fat together, you're good to go. And even then, it might not hurt you.

Or so says wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 2000 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    Anything over 150 - 180g on a regular basis is probably going to put an excessive load on your kidneys. Plus, if your body can't use it, it will convert it into fat, even if you are within your maintenance calories.

Neither of these things are true. Please do not post misinformation as fact.

Joey, your protein is set quite low. Try to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass. I have no idea how tall you are but as a male I'm guessing it's gonna be at least 150g a day. Best of luck.

I apologize if I was incorrect, but that is what my research revealed, and I wasn't posting it as fact. This is an open forum. The best you're going to get here for any question you post is an educated opinion. For fact, you should consult a nutritionist.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Neither of these things are true. Please do not post misinformation as fact.

Joey, your protein is set quite low. Try to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass. I have no idea how tall you are but as a male I'm guessing it's gonna be at least 150g a day. Best of luck.

I apologize if I was incorrect, but that is what my research revealed, and I wasn't posting it as fact. This is an open forum. The best you're going to get here for any question you post is an educated opinion. For fact, you should consult a nutritionist.

W-wha? You can't just absolve yourself of bad information by saying that it's "just your opinion" so "no harm done, facts don't exist here and you shouldn't expect them". So your research was based off of what? Other people's opinions or something else besides facts? If I understand you, the only people that can state facts are professionals in a given field? If I state that Venus is the second planet from the sun, that is just my opinion and not a fact, because I'm not an astronomer? What if a nutritionist is on one these open forums? Is there some sort of paradox where any information they dispense is rendered factually neutral because it is a forum (wherein there can be no facts) but they are harbingers of facts themselves?

Oh, and no - you don't have to worry about too much protein under normal circumstances.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    rofl. thanks.