People that have moved - What food do you miss?

Options
weeblex
weeblex Posts: 411 Member
When you move a state, a country or a continent away the food changes, not just the healthy stuff.

Some of it you can learn to make, some of it you find the equivalent and some you just can't figure out. Maybe someone here can help figure out how to make it.

I'm from the UK and missed Scotch Eggs, store bought Pork Pies, English Bread (yes it tastes different), English Heinz baked beans and Bacon.

Scotch eggs and Bread I can now make,

The pork pies are a mystery to me, how do you make that dark pastry!!!!

English Bacon I have to get when I get off the plane at Heathrow.

What can you not get where you are?

(I brought back Baked Beans last time I visited, the customs guy X-Ray'd my bag and said "Ah, Crisps and Baked Beans". I asked how he could tell from an X-Ray what was in the cans, he said after Crisps, Baked Beans are one of the most popular things Brits bring back to the US lol)

** Up to 90 responses and no one has told me how to make pork pies properly yet :cry: **

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I moved from the south to New England and there isn't any proper barbecue here. It's sad. Not really something I can make myself or bring back with me, so I just have it when I go for a visit.
  • SarahLee10
    SarahLee10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    im moved from Michigan to Mississippi and dearly miss our Kogel hot dogs! Whenever we drive back for a visit we always bring a bunch back with us.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    I missed the coney islands when I moved from Detroit to Seattle
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I moved from VA to AL and where I am at here they don't have a restaurant I love close by.....Panera Bread! It's my absolute favorite, they have the most delicious salads!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Cheesesteaks....no one can make them like theydo backin Philly
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Moved from Philly to Maryland...found a place that makes decent cheesesteaks, but still looking for a good hoagie :(
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I moved from Abilene, Texas to L.A. and there are a few restaurants I miss- Rosa's, and Alfonso Hernandez Bakery, to start. mmmmmm
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i moved from oregon to upstate new york and there are foods i miss... it was so bad when i was prego with my daughter all i wanted was comfort food from home..

jojo's- from albertsons was the worst craving i have ever had
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am from the U.S. Midwest, and I am living in the South now. I don't miss much from Ohio except maybe Tony Packo's, but if I move out of the South in a few years (a distinct possibility,) I will be forever sad to not have Duke's mayonnaise. That stuff is amazing.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I miss fantasic northwest seafood

Nothing quite as good as dungeoness, sturgeon, or clams which you procured yourself.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and JOHNNY'S SEAFOOD SEASONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I moved to Florida from Manhattan (NYC) and I miss a ton of food:

I miss Pork and Chive Dumplings fresh from Chinatown
    I miss Lamb and rice Gyro from The Wall St area
    I miss the Latin food from Alphabet City

I just came back from a 5 week trip to NYC and it sucked because my medication took my sense of taste so I could not taste anything and when it came back everything taste like salt, lemon, vinegar,
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Moved from Germany to the UK.

Missed decent rye bread so bake my own now.
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Moved from Germany to Canada... I miss real bread :(
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    grew up in Texas and Oklahoma - moved to Minnesota 15 years ago - I miss good biscuits and White sausage gravy - NO ONE around here can do it....
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I MISSED THE FRESH FISH AND SHRIMP WHEN I LEFT MOBILE AND MOVED TO SAINT LOUIS
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Moved from southeastern PA to Seattle. What I miss:

Tastycakes, peirogies, funnel cakes, big Philly soft pretzels and cheesesteaks. And westcoast pizza can't hold a candle to anything you get in the northeast. I miss Ray's pizza in NYC. They don't have hoagies here either, they have subs.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have moved from everywhere to everywhere so my list is long.

I miss Cornish Pasty's from when I lived in England. I could scarf down those like no tomorrow. And properly made bagels from a real deli. Not been to one of those in years and I miss it.
    I miss proper noodles from when I spent some time at school in Japan.
    I used to live 15 minutes from the Maryland/PA border and could get such amazing crabs with just a thirty minute drive.
    Taco Trucks and proper Mexican food. I lived in LA for a while and that, right there, is what I miss the absolute most.
    We were stationed in Texas when I was growing up and I have to admit I loved Texas style BBQ. Sigh

The list goes on and on I assure you. I just miss so many things, the down side to traveling so much and living in new places. Getting addicted to local specialties you cant have anywhere else!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to Somalia. I miss food period.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm from Vermont. I miss REAL Vermont maple syrup (I get my parents to ship me some every so often!) and I really miss creemees!!!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've never moved from Cincinnati, OH but if I did - I'd totally miss my Skyline Chili, Graeter's Ice Cream and LaRosa's Pizza.