One Month Vacation & Staying on TRACK!

Options
Hey everyone! I really need your advice.

I'm going away for one month to South America, and I won't have half as much gym time...

Any advice on how to keep myself healthy while away without gaining weight?

It will also be VERY difficult for me to count calories, as I am going to be provided food from the family I am staying with.

PLEASE HELP! I have lost over 50 pounds and have NO intention of finding them! :wink:

Also, is there an AMAZING vitamin pill that makes you feel energetic and would totally recommend to me? I will not be able to eat half the fruits and veggies that I do here either, so I feel a great vitamin that I can pack with me is going to have to do...

Thanks in advance! Y'all are the best! Keep up the good work!

Replies

• Atalante
    Atalante Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dear Carrie,

I was recently in South Africa for 3 weeks and beware: They serve huge (really huge) helpings of food and if you like wine you are in even worse trouble...
    But a few things might help you. Contrary to at least my preconceived ideas it is not all huge braais (barbecues) with lots of meat. They are very big on shellfish and fish too, and those are light in calories (If you get a chance, try the so-called "cray-fish" which is even better than lobster, but of course rather expensive.) I tried to go very light on the carbohydrates when I was there - for instance no bread with the meals and so on. In my experience we did not get a lot of dessert and other sweet stuff which is also to the good.
    My worst problem was actually exercise. As they are all security-mad (especially if you are a very European-looking woman) it was virtually impossible for me to go for the long walks and runs that I do here at home. In fact, I had to steal away a few times because I needed the exercise and time for myself very badly. Perhaps you can find someone to exercise with?
    All that said I only gained about 2 pounds, so I shouldn't worry too much. It is going to be one of the most memorable experiences of your life as the country is just fantastic! Enjoy every minute of it and get back on track immediately when you're back home.
    I wish you a wonderful trip
    Atalante from Denmark
  • CarrieTawadros
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to South AMERICA lol, but that's ok - I've been to Africa a few times before I started this journey to weight loss and beyond (I'm Egyptian)... :tongue:

I really appreciate your input. Less carbs seems very reasonable, as well as seafood. That's awesome that you managed to gain only 2 pounds! Cheers to that! :drinker:

I will try my hardest to get away. At least I can try and find a friend to work out with. If I don't exercise for even just a few days in a row, I usually feel disgusting, the guilt gets to me VERY quickly! :(

Best,
    Carrie from Boston
  • Atalante
    Atalante Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This goes to show that you have to read everything carefully - just what i keep telling my students...I'm still laughing at myself. I have never been to South America, so I cannot help you specifically there, but I'm glad you could use some of the advice anyway. On the other hand I have been to Egypt a few times and it is one of my favourite places. I just hope they manage to avoid too much unrest after all the changes..

I know what you mean about feeling guilty without exercise, but for me it is also a mental strain.

Have a wonderful trip!

All the best

Atalante from Aarhus, Denmark