People that have moved - What food do you miss?

Options

Replies

• CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have lived in several places. I live in the midwest now. But when I lived on the East Coast my diet was mostly fresh seafood. You just can't get decent crab or shrimp in the mid-west. I does not exist.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I moved from Washington, DC to Florida, and I dearly miss all the wonderful Ethiopian restaurants in DC! (Someone is going to make an ignorant comment about that. So in advance, I am very sorry for you, soon-to-be snarky commenter, that you do not know the deliciousness of Ethiopian cuisine.)

I also miss my favorite Burmese restaurant, and good Chinese food. If there isn't a special Chinese-language menu posted on the wall, I'm just not going to bother.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot, I also miss seafood. They only sell imitation crab meat when you don't live near the coast. :(
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I moved from Alabama to Ohio about 3 years ago.

I miss:
    Popeye's. Shrimp and grits (grits in general, really). BBQ. Krystal's. Blue Bell Ice Cream. Milo's Sweet Tea. My grandma's mashed potatoes. My step-dad's cabbage. Chic-Fil-A waffle fries (+ mayo, cuz I'm a fatty and it's delicious).
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    We have lived in a lot of places so the list is long. Key West the Cuban food, Caribbean food etc. the festivals there were amazing with all the different food vendors from all over the Caribbean. Next was Corpus Christi and the Tex-Mex and BBQ amazing! Guam was all of the Pacific Rim, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Chamorro. ugh i gained 30lbs there. Palau had the best Indian food i have ever had in my life. I associate with almost everywhere i have lived through food. That is the best way to get to know a culture!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I moved from the south to New England and there isn't any proper barbecue here. It's sad. Not really something I can make myself or bring back with me, so I just have it when I go for a visit.
    There is a horrible thing to miss out on! NO BBQ better than the south!
    We had the best little barbecue place right in my hometown. Sigh.

I also miss being able to go out and get a good breakfast of grits, biscuits, and gravy. At least I can make that myself if I want to go to the trouble.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    From NJ - pizza

From Maryland - crabcakes
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I moved from Miami, Fl to outwest. No Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian or Spanish food and oh how terrible.
    I also live in a tiny town so there is no Greek or Indian food to speak of. I am miserable!

Sadly I have planned my trip back home by the restaurants and food I will eat. :laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Oh - and Krispy Kreme donuts. I have to drive a couple of hours to Connecticut to get to the closest one!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I moved from Ohio to NC, I missed Chipotle because the nearest one was 3 hours away!!
    Ohio to NC I missed the fresh seafood
    When I was in Japan from NC/Ohio I didnt miss much, Chipotle maybe, but the food was amazing.
    Japan to Ohio I missed the amazing seafood
    Ohio to Chicago (currently) I miss the fresh and pure maple candy and butter and things like that they made back home!

(Dont judge my moving... lol... husband is active duty military!)
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I moved from Washington, DC to Florida, and I dearly miss all the wonderful Ethiopian restaurants in DC! (Someone is going to make an ignorant comment about that. So in advance, I am very sorry for you, soon-to-be snarky commenter, that you do not know the deliciousness of Ethiopian cuisine.)

I also miss my favorite Burmese restaurant, and good Chinese food. If there isn't a special Chinese-language menu posted on the wall, I'm just not going to bother.

I have eaten Ethiopian before and although I wasn't a fan of the bread (texture thing, same reason I don't like flan) but they had the BEST coffee ever!
  • purpleychick
    purpleychick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Moved from California to Missouri.

I would kill to have an In-N-Out Burger. We have 5 Guys, but it's not the same. *sigh*
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Moved from NJ. I miss ubiquitous legit NY pizza.

I also sort of miss taylor ham egg & cheese sandwiches.

And bagels
  • patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Moved from Maryland to Utah. Miss Crab cakes and blue crab.
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    I moved from Chicago to Maryland...I miss Scatchells Italian beef sandwich...my oh my...My mouth is watering while typing this. I miss them...and Home Run Inn pizza...smh...I miss Chicago

oh yea...and all the Indian restaurants :D
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Moved from Long Island to Vermont, then upstate NY.

I miss kaiser rolls, pizza and bagels.

"Hello everyone, my name is 76 T., and I am powerless over delicious carbs"
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I moved from upstate NY to Florida about 10 years ago. There are so many foods that I miss but the two that I consistently bring back after a visit are salt potatoes and Gramma Brown Baked Beans. And cases of wine haha
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As a kid I lived in a seaside town in Mexico and I really miss the Mexican seafood. Ceviche, cocktel, tostadas topped with pickled shrimp, raw clams served in their own shell, fried flounder, fish tacos...the list goes on. I know how to make most of these actually, but seafood is just too expensive inland and doesn't taste the same anyway. Sigh.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I moved from Minnesota to Florida and I dearly miss caribou coffee and noodles & company.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    moved from central PA to NC and I miss Turkey Hill Peanut Butter Ripple Ice Cream, Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea, and Middlesworth BBQ Chips (and my favorite little Mexican restaurant that hubs refuses to go to when we go home because it sends him to the bathroom for 2 days . . . wimp).