People that have moved - What food do you miss?

Options

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Chicago to Phoenx... Portillo's Hot Dogs, White Castle, Gino's East, just to name a few....

Oh, also Panera... I miss it, and Paradise Bakery although owned by the same company is nowhere near the same.
    Chicago does have the best food!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am from the U.S. Midwest, and I am living in the South now. I don't miss much from Ohio except maybe Tony Packo's, but if I move out of the South in a few years (a distinct possibility,) I will be forever sad to not have Duke's mayonnaise. That stuff is amazing.

Tony Paco's is amazing. I've been there and it is about a 3 hour drive for us!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have lived in several places. I live in the midwest now. But when I lived on the East Coast my diet was mostly fresh seafood. You just can't get decent crab or shrimp in the mid-west. I does not exist.

Agreed. The only time I will eat it is when I am vacationing near an ocean. I wouldn't dare eat seafood here in Indiana.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    US >>> Germany

What I Miss from the US:

- Frank's Red Hot
    - Ranch
    - Mexican Food
    - Corn Tortillas (Impossible to find here except in a kit for enchiladas)

What I'll Miss From Germany When I Leave:

- Bratwurst of all imaginable types
    - Food without 20,000 preservatives
    - Glühwein in the Weinachtsmarkts
    - Kölsch Beer
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    We moved from PA to NC and I reaaaally miss Sheetz! Sheetz is just a glorified gas station but they have really good food, mmm.

hehehehehe

I live in PA, I'd give up Sheetz if they'd put a WaWa in here
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I lived in Algeria when I was younger, I miss fresh dates, fresh oranges, fresh clementine, basically anything I could pick on a tree around there when it was ready to eat. The taste of it in Canada, when imported is so so different, it's less tasty..even orange juice is not as good. I also miss the lamb from there, it tasted better too.
  • weeblex
    Options
    When you move a state, a country or a continent away the food changes, not just the healthy stuff.

Some of it you can learn to make, some of it you find the equivalent and some you just can't figure out. Maybe someone here can help figure out how to make it.

I'm from the UK and missed Scotch Eggs, store bought Pork Pies, English Bread (yes it tastes different), English Heinz baked beans and Bacon.

Scotch eggs and Bread I can now make,

The pork pies are a mystery to me, how do you make that dark pastry!!!!

English Bacon I have to get when I get off the plane at Heathrow.

What can you not get where you are?

(I brought back Baked Beans last time I visited, the customs guy X-Ray'd my bag and said "Ah, Crisps and Baked Beans". I asked how he could tell from an X-Ray what was in the cans, he said after Crisps, Baked Beans are one of the most popular things Brits bring back to the US lol)

I live in the UK and hate all the foods you miss!! Lol

I'd gladly organise a constant supply if you can organise one to me for dim sims from Australia!! Ooooooo I miss them and in exactly 2 weeks I'll be on my way back to Aust for a holiday and will be indulging rather often in them! I miss Australia's top deck chocolate too. :(

I'd take you up on it but you can't import meat, I know, I've tried :(
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My son misses free pre-cooked food when he moved out on his own. :tongue:
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I moved from Maryland to Southern Virginia....Oh, how I miss steamed crabs and crabcakes, sorry, have yet to find decent seafood in Virginia. I miss the custard filled eclairs, Rita's Italian Ice and Pizza John's.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I grew up in New York state (not City!) where there were some fantastic Greek diners and you could find mouth-watering Italian on pretty much every corner.

I can make excellent Italian, but I miss being able to eat it in a restaurant where someone else does the cooking. I haven't found a good Italian place in Tallahassee yet. Not even a passable one. We have some so-so Greek, but no truly good Greek.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    We moved from PA to NC and I reaaaally miss Sheetz! Sheetz is just a glorified gas station but they have really good food, mmm.

hehehehehe

I live in PA, I'd give up Sheetz if they'd put a WaWa in here

We didn't have WaWa, we were over on the OH side :)
  • sistahbigbone
    sistahbigbone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I moved from California to Texas. I miss El Pollo Loco and I miss having more varieties of fresh fruit.
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I moved from Edinburgh, Scotland to Ipswich in England. I really miss haggis. I sound so stereotypical
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    moving from LA to centralish Indiana:
    Mama D's Italian restaurant
    Ragin Cajun

from Indiana to southern Maryland:
    Dog N Suds
    non chain quality restaurants of most varieties and some chains
    Nine Irish Pub
    Lafayette Brewing company
    Penn station subs
  • weeblex
    Options
    I moved from Edinburgh, Scotland to Ipswich in England. I really miss haggis. I sound so stereotypical

Ipswich is home base when we go back. Have you tried the hotdog cart in town. We can't miss that when we are back
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've never moved from Cincinnati, OH but if I did - I'd totally miss my Skyline Chili, Graeter's Ice Cream and LaRosa's Pizza.

^^^^^ THIS!!! I moved from Ohio to Alabama, and I miss Skyline, Graeters, and Donatos. As a matter of fact, I eat these every time I go home!!

I didn't even think about Donato's -- Love their pizza too. Thank goodness you can at least get the Graeters and Skyline shipped.
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Ipswich is home base when we go back. Have you tried the hotdog cart in town. We can't miss that when we are back

I've seen it out and about! but never tried it. Lunch time tomorrow then!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i moved from western pa to so cal, i miss the anti-pasta salad that you can get at the deli, also i miss deer meat. and SHMELTS, AND CONNIE ISLAND HOT DOGS WITH REAL NEW CASTLE CHILLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    From Texas to Northeast PA,

I miss Tex Mex food!....I miss HEB, miss getting REAL ranch dressing at any restaurant and not some crappy tub of whatever that you get at Sam's club, I miss Whataburger,
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I moved from Florida to British Columbia. I miss fried yellow squash. I could make it if I could find it. :-(

I miss being able to buy any Keebler cookies, particularly Grasshoppers. I also miss Moon Pies. Canadian Girl Guide cookies and American Girl Scout cookies are not the same thing.