When does running become "fun"?

Options

Replies

• Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    I've never ever ever been able to run to the point that it could be called anything other than torture. I've wondered how people could do it and how some people found it fun or exhilarating. Perhaps one day I will run enough that it becomes "fun." For me, I can walk 5,6,8 miles quite quickly at a time, so it isn't as if I'm sedentary. But running feels HORRIBLE to me. Every time.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Never - I'd rather lift weights and do HIIT on the elliptical.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    it takes a while for it to be comfortable enough to be fun. give it time, a couple of weeks is just not enough.

Most of the time when I talk to people who don't like it, they often are racing every single run. Racing is for races.

and walking does not equal running, in distance, calories, anything.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the new, just starting to run a little bit, camp. I agree with the listening to music idea, and I've also been having a ton of fun with an app called "Zombies, run!" It's hilarious, and it intersperses the story with your own music. I've laughed so hard on the treadmill at the rec center that people start to look at me funny. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For me it was less time based and more accomplishment based. I ran for a couple weeks, dreading it, but every time I added 2 or 3 minutes to my longest time I felt good, so I kept going back. But the first time I ran a full 5k without stopping, I was absolutely hooked. It didn't matter that it took me 40 minutes; it just felt so amazing.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    About when I signed up for my first fun run/race type 5K. Then I knew I could reach goals if I set them, and my body was conditioned enough where I was comfortably chugging along :)

It took probably 2-3 months? I started out simply because I impulsively bought a treadmill and vowed to actually use it. I hate wasting money :p
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I like burning a bunch of cals. I like how I feel when I'm done. I run on a TM because my knees don't like outside and I don't have a good place to run since I live on roads with no shoulder and a 55 mph speed limit that usually means 65. I don't always have a car to drive somewhere to run. I plug a movie in and run on my TM. I usually have to tell myself I only have to walk if that's all I want but I almost always end up running so I guess I must like it enough to do that. I don't know that I'll ever love it but right now in life it is convenient, gives me an excuse to watch tv, and gives me a good workout.
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    I have the same problem running just gets boring, that's why running to cadence can be helpful. I also think the environment in which you run can motivate you as well, choose locations that offer either natural beauty or just personal interest....set way-points along the way to help conquer mini goals during your run, little rewards might lead to big gains in the end. Good luck!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I beat my fastest time, etc. I enjoy walking/speed walking, but if I only have 30-45 mins to get some cardio in, I run. I don't think I'll ever really enjoy it, but I would rather be outside doing something than inside on some machine. I hate treadmills and don't use them at all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running until I started doing C25K outside.. now I can't get out the door fast enough.

It's awesome to push myself and know that I am doing something I once despised doing... plus the calorie burn kicks butt!
  • sunnykb
    sunnykb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I initially started running, it was a chore for me. Now that I have lost a little weight and am more in shape, its easier for me to run and I am starting to enjoy it. It took about a month to get used to running. Running a mile non stop used to seem like mission impossible. Now I've been reaching 2.25 miles-nonstop!
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Running became fun when I stopped...
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have just started running using the C25K app, and I have to say I love it.
  • esprit36
    esprit36 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just started running, I never liked it!!! but I find if I go at a slow pace and do what I can, I will improve both cardiovascular, and over all health, Its a quick way to work out and to me the after effects keep me going and motivate me for the next run, I have not got on the scale yet but I'm sure when I do the results will be enjoyable. If you cannot complete your run, walk a bit at a fast pace and then run again, at least your doing something to maintain your heart rate. I wish you much luck, I know your feelings and hope you continue to run.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I became addicted when I was able to run a mile non stop for the first time in my adult life. I wouldnt say its a lot of fun during the run, but I enjoy running because how great I feel. Not just after the run, but in general. I feel more healthy and strong and fit. I fit into clothes I wore in middle school (im 24 now). And I really enjoy the race atmosphere. I run 5 days a week now and sometimes dread it, sometimes struggle through it, and sometimes have "fun"...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with those who have said that it's much more fun/enjoyable when you're outside instead of being stuck on the treadmill. There are folks at my gym who run quite a distance on the treadmill and I just don't get it. Not only is it uncomfortable to me (phyically and mentally), it's boring as hell!

The other thing that helped me enjoy it was when I finally got real running shoes. Who knew the wrong shoes were what was holding me back?! I had cross trainers which I thought were good for everything but I found out that they're designed more for side to side movement than front to back and tend to be heavier as well! Now that I have my Brooks, I can go faster and have far less joint pain than I used to.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You my friend, are my HERO! I had just got my running legs under me when I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in my joints and my doc banned running. Tried it anyway, but somebody snitched to my husband so now it's a definite no go!

I bow to you!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I don't think every person is going to love running no matter how long they do it. If you find yourself constantly battrling yourself to do it then maybe its not for you. There are other ways to get cardio and stay fit aside from running. Exercise is no different than anything else in this world, we all have our own personal tastes. If you force yourself into an activity you hate you're more likely to give up than if you find something you truly like to do.

This, 100%.

I was a runner before I broke my leg 5 years ago. I'll never run again, but I'm absolutely in love with the elliptical.

However, I could never, ever, ever get into bicycling, not even casually for "fun." I loath all things bike. Going for a ride down to the park with my family sounds like pure Hades, to me. You just have to find something you can love. If you think you'll eventually love running, then stick it out. If it feels like something you'll always hate, then look elsewhere. Trust your instincts. They're usually right.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Running became fun when I started doing it and having fun. I set goals that I can reach, reach them, then set new goals.

^^^What this guy said^^^

Baby step into it. Don't jump in head first and expect to run a marathon. I'm a sprinter, not a runner. I set my goals to be short... 2 minutes here with a walk for a few minutes 3 minutes... build up and up. Hardest part for me is getting the muscle to loosen up... my legs knot up too fast.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever NOT enjoyed running was when I was in high school and I was concerned with how others viewed my running.

The thing about running, especially distance running, is that you are inside your own head. This can be troubling for many people as they aren't to fond of what's in there. In order to get better you have to push through a lot of things, and this takes self examination and motivation. It is fun when you find yourself being positive with yourself during your time running.

That's the dirty secret about running IMO it's more about the mind than the body.