When does running become "fun"?

Options

Replies

• FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been running off and on for about 1 1/2 years now. And I still don't "love" it. I don't know that running and I will ever be best buddies, but I've learned to get along with it.

Like others have said, once I got off the treadmill and started running outside it was so much better. I kinda like running outside. But right now it's still almost 90 degrees when I get home so it's back to the treadmill until the end of September.

Also, as others have said, set a goal for yourself. My first goal was to do a mile without stopping. Once I did that I did a mud run (AWESOME). After that a sprint triathlon (DOUBLE AWESOME). Then last December I ran a half marathon. And looking back, I have to admit I did love running the half marathon. I just couldn't believe I was actually doing it and just really enjoyed the experience.

So try a few things (running outside, setting some goals) and see if that helps with the joy of running :smile:
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    running become fun to me when a 3 mile run could be done easily - meaning, i had to push speed or distance to make it a hard workout. then, lots of fun stuff can be done. :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't really that long, but I kept at it. The key is to not push your speed to early in the game. Take it easy. If it really gets tough and you're breathing is out of control, then walk for a minute. As long as you're breathing correctly (deeply and not erratically) your runs will improve. Breathing while running should be deliberate, low in the belly, and enough to fuel your muscles each time you do it. And sometimes, runs just suck. No matter what shape you're in. My advice: listen to your body, try to give it what it needs to succeed in the run, but don't push speed too early. And no matter what, don't stop! The more you push your body on runs to just keep going--even at a slow pace--the more mental steel you'll gain when you run. Truly and honestly, running is about 90% mental. Good luck and I hope you keep running!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Consider that maybe it is just never going to be FUN for you.

I've been running only since May and since it's gotten easier (I run a bit over 10k for a "long" run now) it's become more fun, less like work. I am interested in challenging myself now, not just trying to make it to the mailbox and back. I honestly don't think I'll ever be running half marathons, because it really does just get too boring after 10k, but we'll see. I agree that the mental challenge, more than physical, is the really interesting part of it. It's cool because there's always some way to find a new challenge with speed or distance. If you don't enjoy constant challenge, then running may always be a struggle to find enjoyment.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    When you stop doing it because "I need to workout today"

This :) -- I'm training for a 1/2 marathon but I don't see my training runs as "needing to workout"... I see them as a chance to reach my goals.

I'm still obese, so running will hurt at times but I still feel free once I get rid of the negative talk and get into my zone
  • sntgrxs
    sntgrxs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know that any excercise becomes fun I am just trying to get it to stop feeling like a chore. I always feel like I dont have time.

If you get any ideas let me know. right now I am doing excercise bike and yoga after work and walking on breaks during work.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The other thing that helped me enjoy it was when I finally got real running shoes. Who knew the wrong shoes were what was holding me back?! I had cross trainers which I thought were good for everything but I found out that they're designed more for side to side movement than front to back and tend to be heavier as well! Now that I have my Brooks, I can go faster and have far less joint pain than I used to.

Agreed! A good pair of shoes make a huge difference. I have a pair just for running so I don't wear them out too quickly. And you don't have to spend $110's of dollars. I got a pair that were 50% off because they were last year's model and the new ones were coming in.
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that have posted that it just might not be your thing. Running is not for everyone. When I started running I dreaded it, however, I love it now. I think I started enjoying it when my friend, who's a marathon runner would run with me and motivate me to go farther and faster. She encouraged me to train for and run a half-marathon. So I did and ran my first one last year. Now if I run I only run outside I don't like the treadmill! For me running helps me to clear my mind and spend time out doors. Find what motivates you and then do it. The main thing is to be active. Good luck! :happy:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I started in March. I couldn't even run a full minute my first day. It was hell. Several days/weeks following it was still hell. I am now completely in LOVE with running and my "regular" route is 5 miles.

Give it time, once it becomes easier and you get the breathing rhythm down it will become enjoyable. Hang in there! It *may* not be your thing, but it's worth giving it a shot! All i know is, I'm glad I didn't give up.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I started to really enjoy it when I learnt how to control my breathing and when my legs stopped feeling like jelly every time I went out!!! It took months rather than weeks and I also find it easier the lighter I am but then the downside is I burn less calories!!! ;( I can't imagine ever not wanting to run now though I love it!!! hope it gets better for you! :smile:
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    when I hit c25K w6d3 and realized that "YES i can run for 25 minutes non stop!!" now its a challenge to increase the time/distance... honestly running is one of those things you either love it or hate it ..
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    my suggestion is sign up for a fun looking race in your area. charity races are usually inspiring and lots of fun. a 5k is usually very easy to handle and they are usually fun run/walks. for me, it keeps me training, without thinking about the dreariness of running each day, and when you finish, you'll have a lot of inspiration to keep you going until the endorphins take over and you start getting addicted to running.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Running became fun when I started winning prizes for my age group! I'll never beat a gal in her 20s, but I've been in the top 3 of ladies 40-44!!! Give me a medal, a certificate, a beer glass and I"m hooked!

Also, get off the treadmill if you use that. Get outside. When the temps are reasonable (may mean early in the morning). Find a nice trail.

Invest in quality shoes and some fun gear! I like using my heart rate monitor with GPS so I can not only see how many calories I burned, but also my speed! I like to set a pace for myself that's slightly challenging and then push to acheive it.

And, so people like to run with others. I'm a solo runner. But, you might find joining a running club or dragging a friend out with you ups the enjoyment factor.

When I'm out of commission with an injury. . .I literally feel like crap until I can lace up my shoes and go. I might not go fast or far, but at least I'm back out there. (I'm currently getting back up to speed from an injury.) I used to loathe the thought of running. At 40, I became a runner!

But, if you never develop a love for it, find something else. Running should be pleasurable or you won't stick with it!
  • ChristinaLeexo
    Options
    I usually get bored running by myself so i have friends, change the location, place some awesome music make a game out of it, like race your running buddy to the nearest what ever hah.... that is what I do. :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    For me? Two words: neh ver.

I think some people just aren't built for it.
  • BarreGirl
    BarreGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Running while you still have quite a bit of weight to lose is NEVER fun. However, other than the initial investment in a supportive pair of shoes (get professionally fitted) it's basically free. I run because I can't afford gym memberships and didn't really use them when I had them.

My own personal measure has been entering 5Ks and then watching my race t-shirt size get smaller and smaller. I plan to make a t-shirt quilt out of them once I've reached "goal."

Hang in there. I agree with everyone else though - get outside and take a friend or some tunes. Makes all the difference.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've never enjoyed it, and its not because its hard to me, I was at a point where I was running 4-5 miles a day and it still wasn't fun. I've just accepted running will never give me the thrill that swimming did, and thats ok. I've honestly switched out running with other exercises depending on what resources I have available. I've added zumba and spin in as cardio. I also never saw any weight loss or body change from running, but most of my friends did. However, I saw drastic changes when I fist started doig spin, still nothing to the results I saw when I swam, I just need to get back in to that.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't think every person is going to love running no matter how long they do it. If you find yourself constantly battrling yourself to do it then maybe its not for you. There are other ways to get cardio and stay fit aside from running. Exercise is no different than anything else in this world, we all have our own personal tastes. If you force yourself into an activity you hate you're more likely to give up than if you find something you truly like to do.
    agree!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Running while you still have quite a bit of weight to lose is NEVER fun. However, other than the initial investment in a supportive pair of shoes (get professionally fitted) it's basically free. I run because I can't afford gym memberships and didn't really use them when I had them.

My own personal measure has been entering 5Ks and then watching my race t-shirt size get smaller and smaller. I plan to make a t-shirt quilt out of them once I've reached "goal."

Hang in there. I agree with everyone else though - get outside and take a friend or some tunes. Makes all the difference.
    ^^^like this!
  • thunderpuddin
    thunderpuddin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've always liked running, But I truly enjoyed it once I started to listen to music while I ran. I experimented with different Genres of music and found the songs and sounds that really pumped me up. It keeps it fun and when certain songs come on your pace and energy increases. When I run on the treadmill I put the TV on, either a movie, TV show or something visual to keep my interest. I can also place my laptop on the treadmill which gives me access to all my favorite shows (and i don't have to sit and watch them)

The most important thing that helped me was starting my runns in intervals... Run for a few minutes, walk for a few minutes.. then run again, walk again... The next days or weeks I lengthened my running time and shortened my walking. In a month or so I started to real feel comfortable running.

I've also found that testing different shoes and clothes to find the most light and comfortable combination helps.