Foods with IRON!

Options
Sharyn913
Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
I notice I am low each day on my iron. Can anyone please suggest a few foods rich in iron? Thanks!

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I notice I am low each day on my iron. Can anyone please suggest a few foods rich in iron? Thanks!

I add spinach ... it must be cooked and combined with a fat source so the body can make the most of it though :)

Leafy greens good ...
  • Sharyn913
    Options

I add spinach ... it must be cooked and combined with a fat source so the body can make the most of it though :)

Leafy greens good ...

Thanks!! I'm not terribly big on spinach, I can stomach it though. Any other suggestions?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    STEEEEEAK!

But also dark leafy greens. You can always get a mixed iron and vit c (aids absorption) vitamin :).
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Spinach
    Beet greens
    Sweet potatoes
    Peas
    Broccoli
    String beans
    Collards
    Kale
    Chard
    Prunes
    Watermelon
    Dried apricots
    Dried peaches
    Strawberries
    Prune juice
    Raisins
    Dates
    Figs

...just to name a few. I donate blood and platelets to the Red Cross all the time and have low iron so always make sure I am eating my iron. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Since I started regular exercise, my iron levels were too low to donate blood. They suggested the usual dark leafy greens and all that, as well as Cream of Wheat cereal. If I eat it several times a week prior to a donation, my levels are always above the requirement.

Here's another list of iron rich foods on my blood bank's website: http://www.cencalblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm
  • Sharyn913
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Cashews, Lentils, Spinach, Mint (leaves), Eggs, Strawberries and Apricots are my favorite ways of getting iron.

I make a smoothie consisting of Spinach, Mint, Carrots, Tomatoes, Strawberries. Takes care of half my iron daily requirement.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try cooking in cast iron. It helps some people. Unfortunately, I am so low that I have to supplement but I cook in cast iron, eat steak and spinach.
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am extremely low and have to supplement as well. I was once told by a dietitian that in addition to eating iron rich foods you should also have of either, orange, grape or grapefruit juice with it. I can’t remember too much of the reason but it had to do with the absorption of the iron. So I would suggest adding this as well especially if you are extra low like I am.
  • GlorytoGodalone400
    Options
    Radishes and Leaf Spinach work well. Just make them into a salad with some other veggies, and it can make a meal.
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat cereal is very very high in iron. It kinda tastes like crap, but I think one serving has like 15mg of iron, which is almost your whole daily requirement. I make it for breakfast a couple times a week and just load it up with fresh fruit and cinnamon (no sugar!) so it doesn't taste so blah.