Important to drink water b/c?

Options
And why does it have to be 8 cups? Can someone please explain? And what is "water weight" & how does it help you lose weight? I only drink when I'm thirsty (water that is, I cut out the juice, & soda), and I haven't been thirsty since around midnight......so I haven't drank any today.

Replies

• bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    To keep you hydrated? Not sure about the water weight thing though.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Water weight is water that is being stored inside you body......it does not help you lose weight.

As a general rule the more carbs you eat the more water you body will store.

As for why water is important.....................the majority of your body is made of water.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Your body holds onto water when you don't drink any. You drink water to Prevent dehydration.. being thirsty, isn't good... it means you should have already had water.
    Water is necessary for EVER SINGLE FUNCTION IN YOUR BODY.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It doesn't necessarily have to be 8 cups, but one should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound they weigh, daily.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I dont get thirsty all the time either, than I get something that will "wake" my thirst or more, motivate me to drink: I really like a Perrier with a bit of lemon.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
    The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
    Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
    Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
    Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
    A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
    Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.

When you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Try to avoid this situation by drinking in advance. Be especially careful when participating in activities where you won't be able to stop to get caught up.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe when you think you are hungry you are generally just thirsty. Try drinking water everytime you think you are hungry - 8-16 oz, then wait about 15 minutes, see if you are still hungry
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe when you think you are hungry you are generally just thirsty. Try drinking water everytime you think you are hungry - 8-16 oz, then wait about 15 minutes, see if you are still hungry

That's very good advice! I'm going to start doing this, thanks!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    So you don't get constipated. That's why I drink so much anyway.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I can be 500 calories under my average for the week but if I do not drink 70+ ounces a day, I will not lose anything.
  • dorioreo
    dorioreo Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm extremely late but, thanks for replying!
    I'm reading the comments now (: