Knees popping w/30day shred help pls

Options
Hi-
I have had some knee issues in the past, was supposed to have surgery on one of them. The "better" knee is popping/cracking with the squat exercises in the 30ds. It wasn't happening until day 5, i'm on day 8 and I feel like I can't go down far enough because of the cracking, I'm afraid to hurt myself. Anyone know what is happening? How can I prevent it ? SHould I wrap my knees or something? Thank you!

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    All I can say is some popping is normal and won't cause injury...BUT make sure your form is right! If you are worried about the weight on your knee do wall squats with a ball. There are also different types of squats (wide stance, change the angle of your feet, etc) that will focus different muscles around the knee and strengthen it. My knee cap moves and eventually "pops" back into place. It happened all the time through high school playing sports and could knock me out for a couple days due to the brusing it caused. A couple years ago I ended up in the ER thinking I tore something because it hurt so bad and left loose. They sent me to PT and had me doing tons of squats. I built up my legs running too and now I don't have issues.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Take it easy and watch your form. Her exercises are known for being knee killers. Drink lots of water and stretch your knees really well before you do her exercises.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    My knees make a crackling sound with squats and lunges. It does not hurt, so I have not worried about it. It could be gas releasing, like when you crack your knuckles.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My knees started doing that too. When I do normal squats without lifting my arms up, they are fine...
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. My right knee began to hurt so much I quit using the video. Turned out it was bursitis. Fine now. Doing Insanity, no problems.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine do that as well - its not really painful just uncomfortable and annoying. Some exercises I will modify them to avoid the popping, the other thing you can do is figure out what you can do to take your mind off of it, I found what works for me.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Stretch! Keep them loose. Get those quads as tight as you can too. The stronger your quads the better that knee is going to be for you. I've had one surgery myself. Had issues just like you, and the more I work the knees, Leg Extentions, Leg Press are my choices, the better they feel and the less they pop. I spend about 1 minute stretching my legs between leg exercises as well.
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!