You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren

Options
alanaosu
alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
Hi - I'm following the above book and app (with great results). If anyone else is doing, or has done this please let me know your thoughts and send me a friend request.

Replies

• crizania
    crizania Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm so pleased you posted this topic. My gym membership just exp and I was contemplating if I wanted to renew it or not since I haven't been in ages. I was essentially doing circuit training without much equipment at the gym anyway!

I'm going to check out this Mark Lauren chappy right now :)
  • alanaosu
    alanaosu Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love his approach. Very no nonsense and I hate the time that going to the gym sucks out of my day. I've had way more success at home with some body weight stuff, a pull up bar and sandbag!
  • crizania
    crizania Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree! last year I had a personal trainer at the gym he did circuit training mostly as his workout program and even he said you don't really need equipment there is lost u can do without spending lots of money just using you're own body weight!. I had to stop at the gym due to an injury and now I'm ready to go back my membership ran out lol timing!

Major muscle workout with cardio is all you need for weight loss hence the cross-fit fad

I work shift work and i struggle with finding time to go to the gym while juggling busy kids and work and now rainy winter is here !!!

Looking forward to reading more about Mark Lauren, I checked out his website last night.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this book. I can't wait to get started!
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 3 of the basic training and I love it so far.

The first workout almost killed me though. ;-)

How is everybody doing with the program? Are you on the basic level too?
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I just started it last night. At first I thought I should start on the 1st class program and boy was I wrong! It is tough!!! I'm going to start over with the basic.

I didn't quite understand the rest time....When we are doing the Ladders, if you do one pushup then you rest 1 sec, then 2 pushups rest 2 seconds and so on. Is that right? For 7.5 minutes? It's killer!!!
  • LessJos
    Options
    I didn't quite understand the rest time....When we are doing the Ladders, if you do one pushup then you rest 1 sec, then 2 pushups rest 2 seconds and so on. Is that right? For 7.5 minutes? It's killer!!!

The ladder is a little confusing at first. You do one rep and then rest for the same time it took you to do the one rep. Then 2 reps and again rest for the same time it took your to do two reps. And so on...
    So you will increase time you spend on the reps as well as the rest time. And then you reduce reps & time as well as rest time when you go down the ladder.
    Does that make sense??
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

The ladder is a little confusing at first. You do one rep and then rest for the same time it took you to do the one rep. Then 2 reps and again rest for the same time it took your to do two reps. And so on...
    So you will increase time you spend on the reps as well as the rest time. And then you reduce reps & time as well as rest time when you go down the ladder.
    Does that make sense??

Thanks! Yes, that makes sense...I think I'll be using a stopwatch as well as a timer for the 7.5 minutes. Or I can just wing it! All I know is that my arms and shoulders are still sore, but I know it will be worth it :smile:
  • LessJos
    Options

Does that make sense??

Thanks! Yes, that makes sense...I think I'll be using a stopwatch as well as a timer for the 7.5 minutes. Or I can just wing it! All I know is that my arms and shoulders are still sore, but I know it will be worth it :smile:

If you have an iphone/ipad/ipod touch or android, I can highly recommend the app. It comes with a timer all set up and it gives you audio cues! Great tool!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

Does that make sense??

If you have an iphone/ipad/ipod touch or android, I can highly recommend the app. It comes with a timer all set up and it gives you audio cues! Great tool!

Funny you should mention that...I just downloaded the app a little while ago!
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started YAYOG on Monday. After reviewing all the workouts on app, and knowing what my abilities are, I decided to start on First Class.

I didn't have much luck in searching for people with results from this exercise, so I decided to start a blog to chronicle mine:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EPICSRT

The app does make the work out a snap!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I started over today using the app and stuck with the First Class program...what a difference the app made with the timing. I was able to do it with little trouble! Yay!!!
  • lisapoo82
    lisapoo82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started YAYOG on Monday. After reviewing all the workouts on app, and knowing what my abilities are, I decided to start on First Class.

I didn't have much luck in searching for people with results from this exercise, so I decided to start a blog to chronicle mine:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EPICSRT

The app does make the work out a snap!

Please oh please keep up posted on your results! I have been wanting to integrate some weightlifting into my workout, but between work, family, and life, have had such a hard time getting to the gym. With no weight equipment at home, this seems like it would be a super convenient option, and I'd love to hear how it goes for you! Also, based on the comments here, I'll have to look into the app for my phone!
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The app is really great, especially if you stick to one of the 10 week options! What the app does lack is enough info on how to do the various exercises properly. The book does provide more detail.

The short of it is, you do not need to buy the book if you have the app, but you will not get all the detail you do in the book.

The app is a must have if you're going to do YAYOG!

In my blog I will address modifications and form as I go and/or as I think may be useful to others.