Woman's Deadlift help?

Options
I'm 5'2, 117 lbs. I was 154. I've been doing a ton of 15-2-lb dumbbell work since it's what I have on hand, but I would like to start some dead lifts and squats. What is a good weight to start at? Am am in decent muscular shape just looking for more! Thanks for your help
7557970336_91972e9c29.jpg
learning. by Khrystina the Ninja, on Flickr
-Moser

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Cool pic and nice squat stance! :wink:

I absolutely love deadlifts!!!! I think they helped a ton with the cellulite I used to have on the back of my legs.

I started with 40lbs (2 20-lb dumbells). Sometimes if I want a quick cardio type workout with higher reps I use 50lbs (2 25-lb dbs). I think you could start at either this, or just an Oly bar (45lbs). You will progress super quick from this, especially if you deadlift 2-3 times a week. My PR is 150lbs, but I can only do 1. I weigh 110 pounds. I don't know how much better I will get from here, or if I want to. I'd say my average when I am doing 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps is 100lbs.

Start small. Deads are tricky, you want to make sure you do them right or they will kill your back.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Start with just the bar to get your form right, then work up slowly adding 10lbs or so at a time. If you know someone who lifts get them to watch you to make sure you are getting the form right.

EDIT

Did you mean with dumbells or a barbell? LOL

If you meant dumbells then google 'Goblet Squat'.....this will teach you how to squat correctly.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i'm doing a great program called stronglifts that has helped me progress in my strength rather gradually.

i agree that you should start with just the bar to get the form down right. check out this video that goes into deadlift form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

i also noticed that you're using smith machine. i have read and heard over and over again the we should all stay away from the smith machine. overall, it can do more harm than good. i strongly encourage you to use the squat rack/power rack for optimal results in strength.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Look into the strong lifts women's group here. There's a summary of the program with links to videos. And, yeah, you'd be better off away from the Smith machine.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Start with just the bar to get your form right, then work up slowly adding 10lbs or so at a time. If you know someone who lifts get them to watch you to make sure you are getting the form right.

EDIT

Did you mean with dumbells or a barbell? LOL

If you meant dumbells then google 'Goblet Squat'.....this will teach you how to squat correctly.

What this dude said.

And for the record: goblet squats....kick....*kitten*. It's a much better way to learn squat form than using a Smiths Machine.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree, mostly, with starting with just the bar to get your form down first. One thing to add to that is that if your gym has training plates (skinny 5 lb. weights that are the same size as the thicker heavier 45 plates) I'd use those to boost the bar into the proper position. If that is not an option, I recommend setting the pins at the rack at the same height as it will be when you are deadlifting with plates. Yes, this is a pain in the *kitten*. I have seen some people put the bar on stacks of plates to get the bar into position too.

I love deadlifts!

Also, goblet squats are amazing!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I know this has been posted before but still...

VUciE.jpg
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I know this has been posted before but still...

VUciE.jpg
    love this!