Bariatric surgery

Options
Looking for anyone out there who may have had bariatric surgery. I had a "sleeve", where they removed 2/3 of my stomach.:ohwell: Would like to share ideas and weight loss.

Replies

• onlyme4321
    Options
    I had the band several years ago and just recently have gained back 15 of the 70 pounds I lost. I went to the nutritionist to re-adjust my eating patterns and she sent me to this website. I've really become addicted in only 2 days. The support here is great, although I have read a post or two that suggest that surgery was the "easy" way - we know it isn't. :smile:
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    So happy to hear from you! It sure wasnt the "easy" way, I lost 50 lbs with surgery and am now stuck in a rut. I get so mad I could scream! I cannot do too much exercise except swim and little bit of walking because I need two hip replacements. Ireally wanted to get my weight down more then this before surgery. So, you still have the band? That is what I was going to get and when I went for the seminar, I ended up opting for the sleeve. I am glad I did it, no problems. Maybe we can keep in touch?
  • KristenAFL
    Options
    I had a lap-band for 3 years and lost 90lbs. Had it unfilled for a tummy tuck and gained 30 back. Couldn't get the band to work after that, was either overfilled or underfilled, so I had revision surgery and got the band removed and had the sleeve done 5/9 this year. I've only lost 8.4 lbs but I'm so much happier with the sleeve. No throwing up is worth the extra surgery.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and gained back 40 lbs over that period of time. I'm here to lose that and even more. There are support groups for biatric surgery on MFP (check them out), but if you to like to friend me, I'll try and help you along the way! Glad you're here :flowerforyou:

Laurie
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    To Kristen ,Glad to hear from someone who had the sleeve. I have not had any problems either but, I know you can re stretch it so I try to be careful I had mine Aug. 22, 2011. After I healed I could only eat about a 3/4 cup of food. Now I can eat like 1 1/2 cups so I am already seeing the trend to stretch. I have backed it down to smaller size portions. So nice to meet you. I hope we can keep in touch. Maybe we, who have had some type of surgery could form a group? Does anyone know how? THis is my first day!
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    To Laura, Thank you for your support! You are the brave one, having the complete by pass. I wish I would have done it, but I opted for the sleeve because I did not have any significant health issues. Would love to keep in touch. This is so awesome! Nice to meet you! :flowerforyou:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve Feb 28 of this year. I lost 60.4 pounds from May 2011 to the surgery date and i've lost 65.6 pounds in the last 3.5 months...

It was the best thing I have ever done.

Lauren
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had lapband surgery July 15, 2006, and lost almost 100 lbs the first year. I stopped losing and gave up for awhile and actually gained about 20 lbs back. I found MFP through a friend and have been using it since last October. I have lost what I gained. :)) Slowly, but surely! I still have about 105 lbs to go until I hit my goal weight.

A good friend of mine had the sleeve and had good success with it....much better than me with lapband. I know she said that her stomach has seemed to stretch. She has basically reached her goal weight. She started around 300 lbs and now weighs around 175 lbs.

Eating right, exercise, and the right mindset that you can and will do it!!! Best of luck!
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i had a gastric by pass oct 31 2011 down 168 lbs my goals 250 feel free to add me i am here daily and i love mfp love to give and get support/fun/and chat
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    To IHawkins. Thanks for you message. I seem to be in a rut. I know some of what I am doing wrong, snacking, but not all, That is why I think this web site will help. My daughters are all on it and they suggested it. I am so happy to connect with people who have had surgery of some kind and can understand that part of our journey, So nice to meet you! :smile:
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 8 years ago. I was down about 120 lbs from my highest, but regained back 60 of that as of 2 months ago. I had a complication in 2007 called Candy Cane Limb syndrome, so after a surgical fix of that, I was basically "reset" to my original post op pouch. So I technically had two chances, and I think I blew them both. It was mostly my own fault, with a bad diet and too much partying and pizza.

I'm now trying to get down to where I actually belong. I'm in a much healthier frame of mine - late 20s, looking towards marriage, kids someday, all of that, rather than 21 and partying way too much. I'm glad I had it when I did, because I had the chance to run with more opportunities through my early 20s, including living abroad for 2 years, since I wasn't held down by so much weight and agoraphobia, but I definitely could have done better.

I wish the sleeve had been more prominent when I had my surgery, because not having a pyloric valve is a huge challenge!
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    To lori, Thanks for your message. It is so inspiring. I wish I could exercise more, I have mobility problems because I need two hip replacements. But I swim as often as I can and walk several times a day for short treks.
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    To seasick, glad to see you are young and you are taking control of your body now, That is so smart of you. It is still a struggle, no matter what your age but you will be able to enjoy your life more, participate in more things and live longer. THis website is amazing...wish I would have joined a long time ago! :flowerforyou:
  • thomasjbrock
    thomasjbrock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too had the gastric sleeve; January 23rd of this year. There are many trials and tribulations involved after the surgery. The sleeve seems to work best on people that don't eat often, but when they do they eat they eat alot. Dehydration is common and stressful, and getting in the protein can be a real task. The suppliments are critical. I've lost about 160 pounds so far and things get better all the time. Even though eating to much can be painful, people still seem to do it. I've seen a lot of people talking proudly about how much they can eat even after the sleeve. These are the ones that complain about gaining weight even though they've had the surgery. I use a couple really helpful web sights, and it has really helped. FitnessPal, and Heart 360 are great. When I need a reminder I go to WWW.CDCobesitytrends and watch the graphic. We're not alone. The whole country is headed in the direction of obesity. You've made a great choice, but it's not an easy choice. There is more to life then food, and all you have to do is discover what that is for you. I just started to feel okay about exercise. Until now it just wasn't going to happen. I'm so sore it hurts to think. Start slow, but don't wait like I did. The sooner you start the happier you'll be. Stretch, walk, even really easy exercise is valuable. Keep hydrated!!!!! I use soup to get in my liquids, and crystal light. I admire anyone with the guts to make the decision you've made. You'll do great.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    I had the lapband done last april and am down 70 pounds. have to say, I haven't had any problems with it. Nothing makes me throw up and nothing really upsets my stomach. I just measure out my food and don't really have any problems. Although I know I eat too much when eating out because I can't weigh or measure but still it's less than before surgery because I make myself stop. My only other complaint is that I never feel full but I never feel hungry either so I guess that's good! :-)
  • mommy3crazies
    mommy3crazies Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of going the route of the lap band, but I'm scared of surgery. I just had a c-section almost 8 months ago and had a very hard time recovering from that. I'm going to try my hardest to loose 70 lbs, with my beginning goal being around 20. I have been on so many "diets" in the past, yet nothing seems to work. I am 5'3 and currently 211. The support system that I have found on MFP has been amazing (even though it's only been about a week) and I'm always open to more motivation and ideas!! Feel free to add!! Good luck to all!
  • thomasjbrock
    Options
    So many great success stories. People can make the tough choices and succeed.
  • thomasjbrock
    Options
    The sleeve is done laproscopically. I have 5 scars about 1/2 inch long. I felt virtually no abdominal pain at all. At first eating is quite unpleasant, but after 6 months I'm very happy with the result. There are many issues to contend with after the surgery, but pain from the surgery really wasn't one of them. I had the gastric sleeve and it's more effective then the Lap Band, and not as severe as the duodinal switch. So far everybody I've talked to is happy they made this decision, even the ones that had complications. Take your time, do the research, and join a pre surgery support group. Don't be afraid.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had the lapband surgery done 8/4/2011. Down 86# in less than a year. Not gonna meet my initial goal of 100# the first year but far from being "unsuccessful". The only regret I have is that I didn't do this 10+ years ago. I have since the surgery come off all my diabetes medication and am my blood sugar levels are testing at normal or below. I also am only taking 1/2 the blood pressure medication and am not taking the celebrex for the knee pain anymore (being 86# less is amazing for the knees).

I am just know jumping back on the exercise bandwagon. That one is easier to fall off than anything. They say it takes 3 weeks to develope a habit - with exercise it only take 1 missed workout to break that habit, let me tell you! I am trying to work out 3-4 times a week at the gym concentrating on cardio mainly but my "gym rat" son is suppose to help me with my lifting/sculpting soon.

Welcome and utilize the knowledge here. There is a great deal of it!!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve Aug 2010. Am a success according to my surgeons team but I dont feel like a success. I stopped losing a year post op and has been a struggle not to gain actually. I lost 33% of my body weight, which is huge considering I started at 640 lbs. I am on the waiting list for the duodenal switch, as I had the sleeve as a first step to a DS, but the thought really scares me. Good luck to you!