Crystal Light

Options
cdngrl81
cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
I drink Crystal Light to help me get the recommended amount of water and I have been reading about aspartame and pregnancy. I live in Canada and all of the flavors I drink are sweetened with Splenda instead of aspartame. Is this safe to drink while TTC and pregnant?

Replies

• cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's probably something to discuss with your OB/GYN. Aspartame and Splenda weren't around when I was pregnant, so I don't have info myself.
  • thejonperry
    Options
    I would use Stevia. If you like soda they have zero cal drinks called Zevia. Also, they have flavors for water.
    It's a natural 0 calorie sweetner, but I've never been pregagnat so make sure you double check that w a Docter.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Talk to your OB/GYN or a nutritionist. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as I can...you just never know how that stuff is made. :sick: Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk with your doctor, but I do know that Splenda is sucralose, which doesn't seem to have as many safety concerns surrounding it in general.

I found this article pertaining to this matter specifically:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/splenda-sucralose-safe-for-pregnant-women/
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Talk to your OB/GYN or a nutritionist. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as I can...you just never know how that stuff is made. :sick: Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Most doctors and nutritionists don't know much about this sort of thing. While I had gestational diabetes my nutritionist actually told me to use artificial sweeteners to replace sugars.

During pregnancy, it's best to avoid any sort of man-made chemicals, whether they're in food, cleaning products, or anything else. There really hasn't been any scientific study on the long-term effects of these things, especially on how they affect a developing fetus.