I want your shrimp recipes!

Options
tajmel
tajmel Posts: 401 Member
My husband is easily the pickiest eater I've ever met. I incessantly tease him about it! There are very few whole foods I don't like, but confession, I hate shrimp. I just can't get over the whole sea bug thing (similarly, I don't like lobster). I feel a bit hypocritical and incredibly silly, particularly because it's such a lean protein source, so I've decided to learn to like it. Before you tell me that people can't learn to like things (as my husband just did), I used to dislike kale and sushi too, and now I love both :).

So. What's your favorite way to prepare shrimp? Any tips for handling frozen shrimp?

Replies

• eshea14
    eshea14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The other day I took some raw medium shrimp brushed it with an olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper mixture and let it sit for a few minutes (not too long because lemon juice cooks the shrimp) and then grilled it on the weber with skewers until pink (3-5 minutes per side). It was really good and would be awesome cold ontop of a salad for leftovers too.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1. Shrimp used in stir fry dishes taste great.

2. I like to put a little butter and garlic in a pan to cook with shrimp and then put it over some pasta.

3. I also love to grill shrimp on a skewer and serve it with rice and veggies.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    First, just try fried shrimp with a breading. If you don't like that, you probably won't like shrimp any other way hahah.... I could eat shrimp every day for every meal any way, but that's just me. People think I'll turn into a shrimp because I could eat just that. I really love shrimp on the grill marinated in some butter and garlic. You could also add in some red pepper flakes or cayenne for a nice kick. I love shrimp cocktail. I'm seriously like Bubba off of Forrest Gump... I mean you can boil it, fry it, saute it....anything...I love it!
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At Walmart, in the ready mixed salad bag section, by 'Marketfresh', take one package of Asian Salad (it's shredded cabbage) with sesame dressing. Prepare that according to package (you just mix it all up, no cooking) One cup of the salad mix, with 4-5 medium, cooked and peeled shrimp on a Mission spinach tortilla, roll it up! It's crunchy, sweet, filling and SO yummy!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy brown mustard, you could marinate shrimp in that and then grill it or cook it in a pan...i love it this way. so yummy.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Got this recipe off skinnytaste.com for Bangin' Grilled Shrimp Skewers and they are great!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/05/bangin-grilled-shrimp-skewers.html#more
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    love shimp!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Bump I could use some shrimp ideas!
  • erinlea75
    erinlea75 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love this one from skinnytaste. And very easy to make.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/cilantro-lime-shrimp.html
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This is my all time favorite shrimp recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-shrimp-with-feta-and-tomato/

I do a few modifications... 1) I use a tablespoon of olive oil instead the butter 2) I use a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes instead of the 14.5 oz can of diced (I like my shrimp to be saucier) 3) I use whatever bottle of white wine that I have open - which is never vermouth! 4) I use more feta - and sometimes I get the kind with 'herb and basil' mixed in.

I usually serve it over angel hair pasta.

Oh... and my tip for handling frozen shrimp. Defrost them under running, cool water and then pat them dry thoroughly. If you cook them partly frozen or wet, they'll likely water down whatever you're making. :smile:
  • kidzerrn
    kidzerrn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump? Could someone please tell me what that means? I keep seeing it!
    Thanks
    Shrimp YUM
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Grill shrimp rules and very easy.

Insanity has a Shrimp Marinara Recipe that's really good and easy.

3-4oz of shrimp (feel free to add more the last batch I made I used 12oz which is 360 calories, 3 fat, 6 carb and 69 protein!)
    serving of pasta of your choosing (I like the Barilla Plus Multigrain as it has more protein than normal)
    1/2c Tomato Sauce of your choosing
    1c broccoli
    1/4 onion
    clove or two of garlic
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese

Thaw the shrimp in cold water if they're the frozen kind and set aside. Saute the veggies and garlic in oil until tender to your liking. Add the tomato sauce and shrimp. Top off with the Parmesan.

This is one serving.
  • gjoemonteith
    Options
    Bump
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi a wee thug a pal put together.

Fry shrimp and shallots and crushed chillies I olive oil. Then add dry cous cous. Pour in freshly boiled water from the kettle to cover everything. Cop or stand for 5 minutes. Voila!!!! Then eat with a salad on the side. I hungry now. Hope you like it. :)
  • zg_grl
    zg_grl Posts: 11
    Options
    Made this on Monday and it was super tasty:
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-tomatoes-shrimp-feta-10000000780294/index.html

Couple of changes: Only used 1 clove of garlic, used basil instead of parsley.
  • olivewalnut
    olivewalnut Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    a bit of coconut oil, minced garlic, minced ginger in a pan, add in some veggies (I like bean sprouts, peppers, mushroom, yellow squash) cook for a bit then add the peeled raw shrimp. when almost done add in 1 tbsp of Kikoman teriyaki sauce (reduced salt) cook a minute or two more and serve!

unfortunately there's no known trick to handling raw shrimp! it smells terrible and feels awful, but it is so delicious!

I also love it in pasta (or equivalent... zucchini noodles/rice) with a spicy tomato sauce and asparagus! or in an alfredo type sauce