Eating breakfast 10 minutes after waking?

Options
I joined a gym today, hooray. BUT a trainer was trying to sell me, well himself, he went over a whole bunch of great knowledge with me that I had never heard. He said I should be eating breakfast no later then 10 minutes after waking up. Has anyone ever heard this? He also suggested only doing 1 day a week of high intensity cardio and 4-5 days of strength training and low intensity.

Replies

• misspinklee
    misspinklee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a rule about it, but they say it jumpstarts your metabolism.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym today, hooray. BUT a trainer was trying to sell me, well himself, he went over a whole bunch of great knowledge with me that I had never heard. He said I should be eating breakfast no later then 10 minutes after waking up. Has anyone ever heard this? He also suggested only doing 1 day a week of high intensity cardio and 4-5 days of strength training and low intensity.

I've heard it and it's utterly ridiculous. If it's your personal preference to eat right upon waking, then do so, otherwise do what is your preference in regards to meal frequency as it provides no special advantage to eat X meals a day, or every few hrs or right upon waking
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've heard it, but I personally think it is a matter of opinion and what works for you. Some people can't tolerate breakfast and have a hearty lunch and/or dinner and lose just fine
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a rule about it, but they say it jumpstarts your metabolism.

"They" are wrong. Metabolism doesn't need jumpstarting.
  • misspinklee
    misspinklee Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Yeah yeah, relax.
    "they" are allowed to believe what they want :))
  • lrr33
    lrr33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my friend was a jenny craig consultant for years and she always told me to eat something within the first hour of waking. it has seemed to help me. good luck!!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself

Frankenstein_2.jpg
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The breakfast advice is not accurate (meal frequency/schedule doesn't matter).

The cardio/weight advice is solid.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me most days if I don;t eat a small breakfast....like a bowl of cereal I'm starving half way through my morning walk,but that's just me.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Yeah yeah, relax.
    And "we" are allowed to correct this nonsense when it pops up.
  • juliawelker
    Options
    It won't hurt to try it. I say see if it works for you. If it doesn't, then tell your trainer it doesn't work for you and that you'd like to try something else. Or maybe you are one of the people who likes eating that soon.
    Personally, my stomach needs around half an hour before I eat. I wake up around 6:30 though.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to experiment with it, it certainly won't hurt me. I also do strength training and cardio 5-6 days a week so we will see.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to experiment with it, it certainly won't hurt me. I also do strength training and cardio 5-6 days a week so we will see.

It's not going to physiologically hurt you, but the more silly restrictions you place on yourself the harder your process is going to be in the long term.

What if you have to eat within 10 minutes of waking
    and
    You can't eat past 6pm
    and
    You have to drink a protein shake right after your workout
    and
    You can't mix protein and fat in the same meal
    and
    You have to eat 6 meals per day
    and
    You have to eat every 3 hours
    and
    You have to avoid sugar
    and
    You have to avoid all fatty meats
    and

It may hurt you more than you think, when it comes to dietary adherence.

None of the above is necessary.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Tell him "Fine. I wake up at 6:30 and expect you to be there with my breakfast no later than 6:40."

LOL!
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't eat breakfast until I drink at least 32oz of water, or decaf coffee. My stomach refuses to accept any food until it has drink.

Typically I eat breakfast about 2 1/2-3 hours after waking up.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I wake up....
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat my breakfast when I'm hungry as that's usually a good sign my body wants food. Sometimes this is right after I wake up, sometimes it's not til I've been to the gym and been at work for over an hour.

Your metabolism doesn't wear a watch and is counting down the minutes from the time you wake up and even though we may sleep, metabolism doesn't.

Eat when you're hungry and eat healthy and you'll be right as rain.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Yeah yeah, relax.
    And "we" are allowed to correct this nonsense when it pops up.

Perhaps the Personal Trainer would like to "clean up" the mess that happens when I try to eat something being awake after 10 minutes.. its projectile. Not very lady-like...

Coffee for me first...