My Stolen Laptop. (Tons of msgs so Im writting it here!)

Options
I got a ton of messages on here asking about my laptop, so I am just going to explain here and in my blog, so everyone can just read it!

Last night, I went to the Nickelback Concert in Toronto, ON.
I had a backpack with me as I was going home with my friend for a few days afterwards.

My Backpack Contained : Laptop, Clothes, Book, Laptop Charger, Phone Charger.
My Purse had : Credit Cards, ID, over $150 Cash, Ipod.

When my friend picked me up, we put my backpack in the trunk ( as it hides it better than the back seat) and we went on our journey.

Well, when we got to the concert, we parked and I paid for parking.
I grabbed a bit of money, and my License for ID, and shoved my purse under the seat.

We went into the concert - had a BLAST. I met one of the bands (My Darkest Days), got autographs and it made me so happy.
When Nickelback came on, I stood and danced the ENTIRE 2 hours - NO BREAK! I was like - YES CALORIE burning to make up for my alcohol (only 1 drink!) Pop, and pizza.

After the concert we jump in the car, I grab my purse from under the seat, and we head on our long journey home. (2 hour drive)

We get home, grab my backpack from the trunk, and head inside - I changed and we talked for a good hour.

Then I went to grab my phone charger.. I got really confused as I couldn't find it, and I was like I'm sure I packed it with my laptop.. Then I realized there was A LOT of extra room in my bag. So I was like oh god no, and dumped my bag on the floor, throwing everything everywhere.

I started balling my eyes out. (Laptop has ALL personal info, passwords, banking, ect. and a lifetime of pictures from family I no longer speak to such as my sister and dad and such)

We run to the trunk of the car, and my friend finds a pair of my jeans in her trunk, and seeing as how my backpack was zipped, I knew right there - I didn't forget it - It was definitely stolen.

I freaked out - called my mom - cried for hours - never slept.

There isn't anything I can do to get it back.
Theres no cameras at my concert venue.

So I lost my Laptop, Phone Charger, and Laptop Charger to some low-life who is to damn ignorant to get a job and buy their own things.

So my whole night ruined - had to fork out lots of money to get a new computer, go through hassell of freezing bank accounts and changing passwords and such.

My concert - ruined from that damn thief

So that's the story - and please NEVER think your trunk is safe.

FUNNY PART -> I do not fold clothes, to me packing is CRAMMING everything in my bag.
Well, The thief stole my stuff, FOLDED MY CLOTHES, put them back in my bag, and zipped my bag up.

Yup. They even folded my clothes, maybe thinking it made it okay to steal my stuff.

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    That seems a little suspicious to me.. but still messed up.
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I thought that too - WHO DOES THAT.

but only my friend and I knew where my bag was, and I was with her the WHOLE time, and I am still with her now so I know it wasnt her.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I probably would have been bawling about going to a Nickelback Concert.

Seriously, I hope you filed a police report and I hope the best for you.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I probably would have been bawling about going to a Nickelback Concert.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That sucks though OP :flowerforyou:
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    I think the problem started with "Last night I went to a Nickelback concert."
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm confused. How did someone get into the trunk without a key or breaking the lock?
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There is a possibility that her car insurance might cover the loss. You should ask her about her coverage.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your friend was sneaky and had a different friend go grab the laptop? Did they know the laptop was in there?

To me the re-folded cloths seems like something someone who knows you would do. They likely didn't realize they didn't unfold anything. They probably thought "re"-folding the clothes would make it seem like no one was in your backpack and you just left the laptop somewhere else.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm confused. How did someone get into the trunk without a key or breaking the lock?

^^^^This
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you lost your laptop - that sucks so bad.

I do think it's weird though... I have never heard of someone breaking into someones trunk - especially if there is no damage or anything. I would try and go through the insurance too.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Toronto was the first (and last) stop on our honeymoon road trip. We got married last October in Michigan, packed all of our wedding gifts and attire in the trunk of our car, drove to Toronto and parked in our 4-star hotel's parking garage. We unloaded everything that was in the cabin of the car and brought it into the hotel with us. The next morning we found out that some random guys broke in and stole our brand new car complete with my $1100 Nicole Miller gown, my husband's brand new $900 suit/shoes, and about $1300 worth of presents that were all in the trunk.

Funny thing is, when my husband drove up from Texas he slept overnight at 2 crappy hotels and left everything in the cabin of the car in plain sight.

The good news is, Toronto occasionally returns what is taken from us -- Our car eventually was found (completely empty and 3 days after we flew home... but still). I hope the same will eventually happen to your belongings as well.

Canada still rocks. Much love to you and yours!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options

^^^^This

I was thinking the same thing
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

this.

under the seat is the first place my 'friends' would check. (they used to ransack cars in mall/movie theatre parking lots)

no smashed window or anything? fishyyy
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I do think it's weird though... I have never heard of someone breaking into someones trunk - especially if there is no damage or anything. I would try and go through the insurance too.

Wouldn't her friend have to be willing to take a hit to her insurance premium for that?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    That seems a little off...

How would someone access the trunk without a key? It would be pretty obvious if someone had broken into the trunk...So it seems they had easy access to it.

Folding the clothes thing...generally a polite gesture like that is only done by someone who has a relationship of some sort with you...Not a random person.

Folding the clothes would also take a decent amount of time...If it was a random person they would have no idea when you would be back, they wouldn't waste time folding clothes...they would take what they wanted & get out of there ASAP...

You sure your friend had nothing to do with it? Or that they didn't mention that your stuff was in the trunk to a friend of theirs or something? Your friend was with you the whole time, but if they had someone else go get your laptop then the person getting it knows for sure that you aren't going to randomly show up at the car...therefore they can take enough time there to fold the clothes & whatnot...

Just kinda throwing those things out there...Hope you get your stuff back!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I was thinkig the same thing regarding how did they get into the car. Also most thieves would just grab the whole bag (quicker/less suspicous) check the contents later and dump the stuff they don't want. It is like a lucky dip, you grab, you go, you don't stop to fold clothes surely.

I will assume your laptop is insured against theft. Or your friend may be covered for theft of possesions from vehicle.

I and am also assuming you didn't back up the info and that is what hurts the most, the loss of personal things like pictures etc I am so sorry that you lost so much.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

Wouldn't her friend have to be willing to take a hit to her insurance premium for that?

Not a question of the friend being "willing" if someone makes a claim against your insurance and it is proved to be a valid claim you have to take the hit. It will be more up to the OP if she wants to make that claim. Besides there may be exclusions on the policy regarding theft from the vehicle and of course it would all depend on if the vehicle was properly secured, theft reported to police etc etc. Or at least these are the things that come into play on UK insurance policies.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that you left the car unlocked and some accessed the trunk via pull switch by the drivers seat. Kinda weird that someone would fold your clothes however, maybe there were alot of ppl around and they didn't want to look too suspicous??? Idk, really strange maybe someone new to stealing things cause normally ppl are not going to take the time to root thru a bag they would just take it and except everything in side of it. Maybe there was someone around you in the parking lot and witnessed what was all in your bag??? Really odd thou! Kinda strange the way they took only what they wanted and took the time to straighten things up unless they are a thief with OCD :laugh:
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I know it wasn't who I was with.

There literally was not 1 second between the time she picked me up and we got back to her place and found it gone that I was not with her. Like we were GLUED together.

People who don't know Toronto - it's pretty sketchy downtown, and it happens all the time.

It's an old car, and I wont lie, I bet I could easily get in someones trunk with a car from the early 90's..

I know the clothes thing was weird - but as family as said - its quite possible they quickly did that, so I wouldnt notice until way later when I went to get it.

I mean, if you saw someone going through a bag / putting clothes in it / ect. at a parking lot with over 20,000 people there, Im sure you wouldnt think twice about it not being their car.

But oh well, I am filling a report as soon as I can (I already talked to them, I just gotta find my serial number of my laptop) so that if the person tries to pawn it, it will be marked stolen.

Sorry for those who are confused - but I was there, I know what happened, and really, if this never happened id be as suspisous as you are all , but when it happens to you - you realize people are sneaky / weird / disgusting.

My grandparents house was broken into WHILE my grandma was there, she SAW the guy hanging through the window of the kitchen grabbing her purse.

At 7am one morning. So I mean people are weird, and I hope this person has A LOT of bad karma headed their way.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Man I did not realize Canada was this dangerous.