People that have moved - What food do you miss?

Options

Replies

• keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Moved from Irving TX. There was a little Italian place there called Angelo's, had some of the best lasagna I've eaten. Just a great little casual place, with great food. After a hard day of working in the yard, you could catch a quick shower, throw on some shorts and a tee and be good for dinner. Even now, 20+ years later, one of us will say, 'Man it's an Angelo's night'. Dang, now I've made myself hungry!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I spent half my childhood in England and I miss Fish and Chips wrapped in a newspaper

We had that last night. I had an operation on my wrist yesterday so I wasn't up for cooking, sent hubby out to the chippy. I shared a portion with my daughter otherwise MFP would have exploded when i logged it! Had mushy peas too - would have been rude not to!
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I spent half my childhood in England and I miss Fish and Chips wrapped in a newspaper

We had that last night. I had an operation on my wrist yesterday so I wasn't up for cooking, sent hubby out to the chippy. I shared a portion with my daughter otherwise MFP would have exploded when i logged it! Had mushy peas too - would have been rude not to!

I don't think I've ever had Fish and Chips from news paper, but living a few doors down from the chippy was always great for a snack. Fortunately I'd cycle 5 miles to and from work to work it off. They also sell the best battered sausages
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I moved from Edinburgh, Scotland to Ipswich in England. I really miss haggis. I sound so stereotypical

Ipswich is home base when we go back. Have you tried the hotdog cart in town. We can't miss that when we are back

I've seen it out and about! but never tried it. Lunch time tomorrow then!

Ooooh The Hot Dog Cart..got several pics of it on my phone. I always get a large w/cheese and splash on a little brown mustard.

Now I am having rotten cravings...
  • MelissaFD
    MelissaFD Posts: 8
    Options
    Heinz Baked Beans, got to be Heinz!!! I moved here to the USA 6 years ago and the other thing I miss is "proper" bacon. I'm with you and the bread, it all tastes so sweet here in the South- w heave a bread maker now!!
  • MelissaFD
    MelissaFD Posts: 8
    Options
    That is the number one thing I miss from England, I should open a "chippy" here in the South..
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    We moved from PA to NC and I reaaaally miss Sheetz! Sheetz is just a glorified gas station but they have really good food, mmm.

My brother's fraternity used to do Sheetz "runs" at 3:00 in the morning.
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    Spent 3 years in SoCal and grew accustomed to the quality of hispanic fast-food. Now that I have quit fast-food I'm not looking for a replacement but periodically I do miss it.
  • weeblex
    Options
    Heinz Baked Beans, got to be Heinz!!! I moved here to the USA 6 years ago and the other thing I miss is "proper" bacon. I'm with you and the bread, it all tastes so sweet here in the South- w heave a bread maker now!!

We think the bread is sweet because the milk is sweet, if we make it with powdered milk it tastes so much better.

The beans are rationed too....... Open a can, put half back in the fridge, then have the other half with a breakfast fry up. We are down to 2 cans now so I'm not allowed anymore before we book flights!!!!!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    moved from central PA to NC and I miss Turkey Hill Peanut Butter Ripple Ice Cream, Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea, and Middlesworth BBQ Chips (and my favorite little Mexican restaurant that hubs refuses to go to when we go home because it sends him to the bathroom for 2 days . . . wimp).

Turkey Hill diet green tea. <<drools>> I recently got one of these out of the vending machine at work and it was frozen solid. So I sat it on my desk and drank it one drip at a time as it defrosted. And it was still awesome!
  • weeblex
    Options
    That is the number one thing I miss from England, I should open a "chippy" here in the South..

So long as you do battered sausages as well as the fish :smile:
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options

We think the bread is sweet because the milk is sweet, if we make it with powdered milk it tastes so much better.

The beans are rationed too....... Open a can, put half back in the fridge, then have the other half with a breakfast fry up. We are down to 2 cans now so I'm not allowed anymore before we book flights!!!!!!!

We are down to 1 can so you are really rationed!
  • Tanglesaturnfly
    Tanglesaturnfly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Moved from upstate NY to NC. I miss Italian food! Esp. pizza and CANNOLIS!!!
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I moved from Providence RI, foods I miss:
    Coffee milk
    Hot wieners
    Pizza strips
    Spinach pies
    Grinders
    Clam cakes
    Steamers
    Dough boys
    Dels Lemonade
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I moved from the UK to New Zealand and I really miss:

UK baked beans and UK Cadburys chocolate

Other than those I don't think there's really anything else I miss. Anything Watties here certainly ISN'T Heinz equivalent, so I guess I could go with that range!
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    keithgi wrote: »
    Moved from Irving TX. There was a little Italian place there called Angelo's, had some of the best lasagna I've eaten. Just a great little casual place, with great food. After a hard day of working in the yard, you could catch a quick shower, throw on some shorts and a tee and be good for dinner. Even now, 20+ years later, one of us will say, 'Man it's an Angelo's night'. Dang, now I've made myself hungry!

I live 2 minutes from Angelo's and yes, the lasagna is amazing! And the white pizza....
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    Cali to Washington Washington to Missouri. I miss In-N-Out Burger and the Mexican food from Cali. I miss the Fresh salmon/crab/seafood from Washington.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I miss NJ/NY Pizza. Everyone else is doing it wrong.