Strength training after Running

Options
So I've just started running in the past few weeks, and I'm really enjoying it. The only thing is, I'm really missing the strength training I used to do. I've done 30 day shred, and I loved the way my body looked and how strong I felt. I really don't want to sacrifice that for running, but at the same time, I think it might be overdoing it to do both 30 day shred or ripped in 30 and run on the same day. So I'm wondering if anyone has found a short strength training routine they use after running in order to tone and tighten their muscles without a lot of equipment- I'd like to just do it in the park or something after running. Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• kateljp
    kateljp Posts: 3
    Options
    When I do a lot of running, I usually do mostly body weight exercises (squats, lunges, backwards lunges, planks, pushups, etc)...I find it's still a great workout, doesn't make me hurt too badly after running, and it's a good way to get some upper body strength in there, too. I do that outside, but if I'm home I also have a set of just 10 lb dumbells that I do 3 sets of 16 shoulder presses, 12 lateral raises, 10 front raises, and 10 bicep curls. After 3 sets I can tell I've worked my arms! Sometimes I throw some upright rows in there or deadlifts...
    Hope that helps!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Not really what you are asking but related anyhow, strength training PRIOR to running has been far more productive for me. There is no way I would be able to push the weight that I do after say 6miles of even a moderate pace. You might find the 30DS works just fine in this sequence. I have no doubt you will see better results just due to the fact that you can do it with more intensity than after an exhausting run. 0.02, WMMV.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    A trainer once told me something like 'the first 20-30 minutes of your workout you aren't burning fat, so it's more efficient do do your strength training to build muscle first, then your cardio to burn fat.'
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would do strength training first.

30DS however is not strength training. It's cardio.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    NO No no !! if you're gonna go H.A.M. then you don't do Weights/Strength AND running on the same day... alternate. but if you go moderate on either one do Strength FIRST,
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I often do bodyweight exercises before and after a run - seems to work as a good warm up and keeps me from sitting down during the cool-down. Plank, squats, lunges, push ups. Sometimes at the end of the run I do a set of squat thrusts until I reach my time goal, if the run turned out a few minutes shy of goal time.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My run days are my run days.. 5 minute warm up a walk, a few stretches and I go.

My strength training days are just that.. strength training. I do all strength training to failure, and there is no way in hell I am hopping on a treadmill for a run after strength.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My strength training days are just that.. strength training. I do all strength training to failure, and there is no way in hell I am hopping on a treadmill for a run after strength.
    Amen! :)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    M-W-F weight room

T-TH-SAT-running

SUN- rest day!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't run and strength train on the same days. I only run 3 to 4 times a week. I strength train once or twice.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Lift before u run.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I do my own strength program (like 20 minutes whole body) with heavy weights usually after my run. I have completed ChaLean Extreme, so I kind of take what I learned from that. I have also checked out this site. I do 10-12 reps with heavy weights for each exercise, making sure to cover each body area with several exercises.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Lift before u run.
    This!!
    I've found if I do cardio first..my reserve is slightly depleted
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Amen! :)

This and that. I don't run on back to back days and don't lift on back to back days.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i run tues thurs sat and weights on mon wed fri , i would keep the two seperate
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You know, in Crossfit they lift some heavy weights, then run around the block, lift some more, etc.
    It is not a bad way to combine the types of exercise.
    You can look at the Crossfit website and see what kind of body-weight exercises they do -- push-ups, air squats, box jumps, dips, for example.
    Many parks used to have courses for the same kind of thing. You'd run a quarter mile to a station, and then, at that station, you would do push-ups or pull-ups or sit-ups, etc.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I go to gym 3-4 times per week. Ill run for 30-50 mins and vary it up between slow and steady, splits and high incline walking. Then I go do weights for 20 minutes, focusing on certain muscle groups each day. After each set, Ill do steps or lunges or kettlebell swings to keep my heart rate up. My main concern now is losing weight, so I want to burn calories which I why I try and keep my heart pounding when I do weights too.

I am finding that, for me, this works well. If I do weights first I don't put as much into my cardio portion of my work out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I tried going for a short run on a treadmill before lifting once to 'warm up' but it sucked. I was all sweaty and exhausted when I was trying to do my strength training.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    ive found if I do lower body before running, I get so mad because my legs are so tired that I end up walking. and I love running THE BEST.

I'm still trying to figure it out...but next week, I've almost decided I'm going to break up my workouts...

treadmill at home for 30 or more minutes every morning

evening: weights and a cycle class.

I just can't seem to get my running in that I like to before my cycle class...and then add weights in there and it's a 2.5 hour chunk of time that my family seems to really ... frown upon? LOL only b/c I make them wait for dinner until I'm done at the gym.

is it feasible to work out twice a day for you?
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do both every day?

I run 3-4x a week
    I strength train 3-4x a week.