Fiddleheads...

Options
Mireille
Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
mmmm....
I just had fiddleheads for the 1st time. They are hard to explain what they look like (google them) but they taste a bit like asparagus and broccoli!!

Very yummy! Has anyone ever tried them?

Replies

• Mireille
    Options
    mmmm....
    I just had fiddleheads for the 1st time. They are hard to explain what they look like (google them) but they taste a bit like asparagus and broccoli!!

Very yummy! Has anyone ever tried them?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that their appearance creeps me out. I saw them in the produce market today. . .maybe I'll be brave and try them before they're gone.

They just look like little alien babies to me. (sorry, was that too vivid?):tongue:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Lmao!!!
    It's so true, they look weird but definitely worth the try. If you like green veggies, you will love these. :flowerforyou:
  • k9powerlifter1
    Options
    asparagus and broccoli yummy......are you kidding me.

Now if you said they tasted like a Chicago Stuffed Pizza and a Butterscotch Milkshake I would be interested.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    ~laffin @ lookin like alien babies~ Yes, I've had them alot in my life. I have friends in Maine and they come and visit me every year and bring me a batch of fiddleheads so I don't miss them! They are very good!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I agree, they kind of look like little fetuses, :sick: But they do taste yummy!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hooo my mom used to force them down my throat.

i havent tryed them since, maybe i will love them now ..lol
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    They grow wild at my parents' house. We actually consider them weeds and take great pains to get rid of them. But, before they've unfurled, those means are salads!
    I suggest a lemony vinagrette. They're also great tossed into pasta.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    My brother is a chef and he made these for me and served them along with seared scallops...YUM-O
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh now I want to try these I love asparagus and broccoli....mmmm new green veggie yeah!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    thye are crazy looking, I am in NJ, grew up in PA and was also living in NYC and Chicago and I have never even heard of these!!! Dying to try them.
  • Mireille
    Options
    I logged off early last night and didn't see all these posts. lol

It's so funny how visual we all are. I really enjoyed them and I'm glad I found something new. It's like ali106 said, a "new green veggie" to shake things up a little.
    I gave some to my kids to try and they liked them too. I hear they are very seasonal and are not an easy "vegetable" to get year round.
    My neighbor also gave me some ramps (wild leeks) to try. I'm not sure what I'll do with those but I love to try different greens.

Have a great day all!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: