Struggling to keep up- 30 Day Shred

Options
Hey guys!
So, I've never been the sporty/active type so I didn't expect to be exercising 3 hours a day etc. However, I thought I'd start easy and work up. I've been doing calinsthetics at home and my job is pretty active, have tried jogging (bear with me on that...) and walking more.
The other day I tried the 30 day shred, level 1. I loved it (even though I was swearing by the end), but the next time I tried it I couldn't do more than 10 minutes. I'm finding this with jogging too. How can I be fit one day and not the next?? Stamina very much needed.
What would you guys suggest???
Thanks!

Replies

• StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest. Although 30DS is thought to be done everyday, Jillian Michaels recommends only doing it every other day so your body has time to recover. It will get easier as your body heals. I got great results from 30DS. Try jogging one day and jillian the next. Don't over exersize or your body will be too hurt to heal fast enough and this will be a negative impact in the long run!

Enjoy 30DS, take breaks when needed, just listen to your body. :)
  • floydette6
    floydette6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also just started the 30 day shred. I started on Tuesday night. Wednesday I went and did some VERY light swimming/active floating haha. I skipped shred that night. I picked it back up tonight and was okay. If I had tried it last night, I would barely have been able to lift my arms, I was so sore. You may want to try spacing it out at first until you can build yourself up to it. Some people can jump right in and do it every day from the start. Not all of us can haha. Hope this helps! :)
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Your body needs rest. Although 30DS is thought to be done everyday, Jillian Michaels recommends only doing it every other day so your body has time to recover. It will get easier as your body heals. I got great results from 30DS. Try jogging one day and jillian the next. Don't over exersize or your body will be too hurt to heal fast enough and this will be a negative impact in the long run!

Enjoy 30DS, take breaks when needed, just listen to your body. :)

^^^ This! I'm doing 30DS three nights a week to suppliment my current workouts. I have been working out with a personal trainer for 16 months now and my general level of fitness has hugely improved.

Don't stress it too much, work within your range and definitely have rest days where you just do some moderate cardio!
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The Shred is pretty tough because you are working the same muscles pretty much without rest. Just keep moving through it, sometimes you might have to pause a few seconds but don't stop. After a few days you won't have to keep pausing. I started with a group here on 07/01 and we are following the below schedule and then start over for each 3 levels.

Day 1: 30DS
    Day 2: 30DS
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: 30DS
    Day 5: 30DS
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: 30DS
    Day 8: 30DS
    Day 9: Cardio
    Day10: Rest
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred on July 1st (for the third or fourth time) and I found that if you can get through the first 4 days it starts to feel much easier. The 2nd & 3rd days are the worst, endurance & soreness wise. Now I am on my second day of level 2 (we are doing 10 days of level 1, 10 of level 2, & 10 of level 3) and it feels like starting level 1 again but I am going to get through it! Best of luck to you. Also with the jogging - try the couch to 5k program to build endurance while jogging. I kind of designed my own program with building my endurance while running, but generally I found that if I could do it one day, I knew I could still do it the next, it wasn't a physical limitation, it was me having to be mind over matter. Sometimes my mind gets the better of me & I don't make my run as far as I know I could, but we all have good & bad days. Best of luck.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have found that on the days that I drink plenty of water, I am able to push my body further. I don't have any scientific research or anything to back this up, but if I haven't had enough water throughout the day, it is a lot harder to work out for any length of time. So maybe you could just try drinking more water?

I agree, too, that your body needs rest. Especially since you're just starting out, you really need to take it easy on yourself!

By the way, I've been doing 30DS for a couple of weeks now, and I love it! :love:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Are you hurting or do you just feel a bit weak/sore? The latter just have to push through cause it will get easier.

I just completed 30 Day Shred -- I did it in 30 consecutive days (I do not recommend that unless you talk to a doctor, mine was totally fine with it). I found that I felt weaker some days, but kept pushing because it wasn't physical pain like an injury -- just achy like sore muscles. Some days I was definitely slower/did less reps -- I felt that way off and on the entire time -- but I still lost 19.25 inches (about 3-4 pounds, but that wasn't my main objective).

I would say listen to your body and talk to your doctor if you have concerns about pushing yourself too hard.