Should I work out if I have a little cold?

Options
I have a little cold , aka minor soar throat, runny nose, sneezing, etc. Would it be bad if I worked out today? some say it helps get the cold out of your system while others says I should go straight to bed...I want to work out because I don't have that many calories left for the day lol. I'm hungry!

What do you guys think or what do you do when you get sick?

Replies

• gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My theory is if it's below the neck then you're fine. I wouldn't go out and do anything really strenous but I am a believer in breaking a little sweat. Sweating helps get toxins out.

So do what you normally would do but maybe at an easier level. Don't push it too hard!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I workout as long as I feel ok, If I just have the minor cold, that does not deter me from my treadmill! If I am running a fever, or just really feel drained, then I'll take a break..
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you feel like working out, do it. I would just take it a little easier, and make sure to pay attention to how you feel. Personally, when I'm sick and I sweat a lot in my workouts, I seem to get better faster. Just make sure to pace yourself and don't overdo it! Hope you get better soon!
  • sleepl8s
    Options
    They say that if it's above the neck, then it's ok. It might actually help you decongest. If it's below the neck, you should stay in and rest up, otherwise, you can lend yourself to getting more serious respiratory problems, like bronchitis.
  • rosemh83
    Options
    Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! You guys rock :wink:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've heard the above-the-neck, OK; below-the-neck, NOT OK theory. And you have to judge how you feel. I've had a cold for like two weeks, but it's not stopped me from working out. A high fever, however, would stop me.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do it!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can work out, it's fine.

__

I've been sick with a chest cold for the past week or two, and couldn't work out- I tried, but it didn't go so well. Yesterday was the first time in a while I was able to get through a workout. It wore me out though, and I won't be working out again for a few days probably.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    please don't take any risks and exercise when you are sick.

#1 you are not going to get in a good workout anyway
    #2 you can do some serious damage to your heart (you don't know exactly where the infection is at that time)

rather go to bed early and get some rest and have loads of vitamin C

you'll also get over your cold a lot quicker if you don't exert yourself - PLUS you are doing everyone else at the gym a favor by not spreading germs in an already un-hygienic environment. If not for you, stay home for everyone else :)
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have the energy and are up to it, then I say do it. I wouldn't force myself.
    I do work out on sick days and TOM. But if I am extremely sick and feel I should be in bed resting, then that is what I will be doing.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you're going to work out. :)

If you go to the gym I'd say stay home and don't infect anyone else!

I'd also say take it easy. Exercise is okay- just don't push yourself too hard. Unless it's in the lungs, then definitely take a break!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you have a fever--absolutely not. Not only for your own health, but for everyone else's as well. Exercising can get that mucus all moving around and you will cough more, aka spreading it around. If you think you're on the down-side of the cold and don't have a fever, go for it!