Deadlifts and Light headed

Options
For anyone that lifts weights I have a question about getting light headed. Whenever I'm doing deadlifts, I sometimes get a little light headed after I've finished my set, not fall down light headed, but still light headed. Is this normal or am I not breathing correctly? any help would be most appreciated.

Replies

• ohyunjin
    ohyunjin Posts: 1
    Options
    Describe your breathing.

It should be exhale on the way up and inhale on the way down or at the bottom. Depending on how heavy the weights, people will sometimes hold their breath longer to keep their core more stable.

You can get lightheaded if you are over exerting yourself as well. If you are breathing properly, might want to just decrease the weight or do less reps.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    happens to me sometimes. once i almost fainted, but that was with power cleans.

catch your breath and go again. if you're feeling faint, sit down for a minute or 3 then go again.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I do the exhale on the up and exhale on the down. I do the lifts slow and try to control as best as I can. It's usually after I've put the weights down and walk away then i get a little light headed, but not near fainting.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I saw stars the other day. And I kind of liked it.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it happens to me any time I move from a down to up position, but i am anemic and have very low blood pressure. Maybe you do, too. it doesn't mean anything- I still go about my day - I just move slower. i agree that you have to control your breathing.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Happens to me on heavier lifts. I just sit and take a breather :-)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It should get better with time. You're training that part of your body too.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Happens to me.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It might come from locking out your knees. Keep your legs straight, but soften the knees just a teeny bit. It'll help to reduce blood flow restriction. I get light headed very easily and I always have to keep my knees slightly bent. Plus, it's easier on your knees if you do that versus locking them out. If that doesn't do it, remember to breathe deep but not too hard... don't hyperventilate, as that will cause you to become lightheaded for sure. Hope that helps!!!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

lol, me too

I just take an extra breather, and make sure I'm paying close attention to my breathing in the remaining sets.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It happens. Just be careful when you set your weight down after the last set to not stand-up to quickly.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

x10031822.jpg

If you're not lookin' like this guy after a set, you're not trying hard enough (LOL!!!)
  • nfrenzer
    nfrenzer Posts: 1
    Options
    Breathing should not be an issue, since you should be using the valvsalva maneuver and completing a full "dead" stop. Dead stop means the bar completely rests on the floor between reps, there should be no tension. Each deadlift repetition is a set in and of itself, which is why most strength programs call for only one working set of 5+ reps. When you perform them properly, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Happens to me on squats, too.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Breathing should not be an issue, since you should be using the valvsalva maneuver and completing a full "dead" stop. Dead stop means the bar completely rests on the floor between reps, there should be no tension. Each deadlift repetition is a set in and of itself, which is why most strength programs call for only one working set of 5+ reps. When you perform them properly, you shouldn't have a problem.

The part about the weights needing to touch the ground, that might be my problem. My weight level for deadlifts are only at a working set of 115. right now i'm doing 115 11 times and next week it's 115x12. it's part of a program. The following week I will be going up to 125x8.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Happen to me. I take a few good breaths before starting and do the same at the end before standing up and it really help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The part about the weights needing to touch the ground, that might be my problem. My weight level for deadlifts are only at a working set of 115. right now i'm doing 115 11 times and next week it's 115x12. it's part of a program. The following week I will be going up to 125x8.

Use plates lying on the floor or some other stable riser that will make the height of the bar the equivalent of when you have 45s on each side.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts seriously tax your central nervous system. That can make you woozy. Once in a while while your CNS adjusts is normal, every single time, might be an issue.

I also disagree with breathing during the lift, Valsalva maneuver all the way. Best way to support your spine.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, happens to me sometimes too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Same thing will happen on heavy squats.
    DO make sure you're breathing
    DO have a bench nearby to rest for a minute after your set.
    DON"T try to adjust the weight for your next set or your workout partner till the world stops spinning.