Juice Fast

Options
Anyone else tried a juice fast? I'm in the middle of my 15 day fast, and absolutely loving it. Mostly vegetable, some fruit. Always freshly juiced.

I'm so jazzed about it, that I've been blogging the whole thing. Check it out: http://fattygonerogue.wordpress.com/

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    That's so good to hear! I want to do one so bad, but I am hesitant to invest in a juicer at the moment. I want to do one (especially after watching Fat, Sick, and nearly dead) I just honestly don't know ifmimcam do it. I may try a 3 day starter juice fast.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We juice from time to time, but I would love to try a juice fast!
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I juice for breakfast about four times a week and love it! I was drinking too much for a while, and actually gaining weight, but I have cut back. it's just so darned good for you! There are so many great recipes! Good luck with your fast!
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    Ive tried doing these kinds and I always wind up light headed and very irritable its not for everyone and also word to the wise-anyone who has never juiced before do not start with a whole day of it. Start yourself out and avoid dark leafy greens as these can actually be harmful to you and make you sick and even turn you off to juicing. Also know that carrots are good for you in moderation but when juicing because it is very sweet it should be a treat and not a staple because on top of that you can get vitamin A poisoning if you over do it with carrots and other vitamin a rich foods,
  • raiseyourgame
    Options
    I've never heard of dark leafy greens being unhealthy?
  • GuichoGuacho
    GuichoGuacho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pace your selves!

It works...if you are committed, but it is difficult and the symptoms are hell on earth.

BUT...it works :-)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you can stand it, then awesome.

what are you going to eat after you stop juicing?
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    Not unhealthy, hard to digest in juiced form. When you eat it you digest it differently than when its juiced. Some people cant handle that big of a change so quickly from whole foods and wind up sick from it.
  • carrtje
    carrtje Posts: 15
    Options
    what are you going to eat after you stop juicing?

That's a good question. If I lived in a vacuum, I would go straight to lean and green (lean proteins and vegetables), but it isn't. First, I have to transition off the juice for about four days. Then, I am headed to a week-long training out of town with my job at the end of the month. Luckily, they are offering a "local, organic, GMO-free, Gluten Free options, Vegan options" lunch buffet each day. I think I'll schlep my juicer along and do a juice for breakfast, eat lunch at the buffet, then another liquid for dinner. My doctor suggested a meal replacement shake to me that I might do. It's also nice that I can just buy them now, and have them all ready. I won't have to wander around Santa Cruz looking for something to eat, or have to stare at a delicious menu each night.

Once I get back to the comforts of my home, my family has decided to go Paleo. I did it once before and it was fantastic. It just didn't work without the whole family on-board. My wife and I think it will also be a great choice for our ADHD son. There is tons of research out there about getting away from dyes, preservitives, sugars for ADHD kids.
  • carrtje
    carrtje Posts: 15
    Options
    I always though "fasting" meant abstaining from food. Juice is food ergo you're not fasting.

You're absolutely correct. Fasting is a misnomer for this process. In fact, all over you see the linguistic marking changing to Juice Fasting/Feasting. Following a well-planned Juice FEAST is not fasting at all. You actually take in quite a lot of calories during the day. The drinks are packed with a HUGE wealth of micronutrients. What is missing is fat, and animal proteins. If I were to be doing this for an extended amount of time, I would be adding some kind of protein supplementation to stave off muscle atrophe. In fact, that is exactly my plan in about four days; to begin adding that for the next phase.

As for those links: the first one wouldn't load up for me. The second was really poorly written. I think he based his claims off of true fasting. The third was a good read. Thanks for sharing.