"too thin" in some areas

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
Anyone else start to look "too thin" in some areas before they are to goal? I'm down 38, and would like to lose maybe 14 more(ish) but my mother pulled me aside today and begged me to stop and said if I keep going I will start looking sickly thin and already look "too thin" in my collar-bone, neck region. Now...she's over reacting, I'm 5'9" 173lbs, not too thin for sure, but my collar bones are starting to be prominent. My thighs and tummy are still a lot bigger than I want them to be but I'm a little concerned (now that she mentioned it) that I will start looking "too thin" in other places.

This was the photo that prompted ma's scolding:
july173.jpg

Replies

• Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think you look great!!!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with that. Most women at a healthy weight have their collar bone showing, to my knowledge and from seeing endless healthy weight females. My collar bone shows a lot more than that and did even when I was 14 Ibs heavier. I am the same height as you, a little taller.
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not too thin at all! You look great!
  • KeepStitchin
    Options
    I think you look great! One thing I have noticed is that we may drop quite a bit in one area at first, but usually if we have more to go, the weight starts coming off of the other areas, in your case it would probably slow down in the upper body and start coming off the lower body now. I always lose in my waist first, my hips are the last to go and my most troublesome spot, but when I lose weight it comes off of my upper body first and then I start to notice it elsewhere afterwards. We all have a weight we feel most comfortable at. As long as you're eating healthy and continue that way, I doubt you'll go beyond what is best for you.
  • KF1216
    Options
    aww, thanks everyone:)
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you but I have the same problem. I always loose weight around my face, neck and breast. My arms, butt and legs are not where I want them to be. I can say that you look great to me. Maybe your mom is so used to seeing you one way. Great luck!:flowerforyou:
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I also feel like my collarbones now stick out more than I would like them to. And my forearms are getting very lean while the upper arms still look too large =/ Unfortunately we can't choose where we slim down first. If we could I would definitely lose my belly fat ASAP!

ETA: You look great in your picture! I think the people around us (and ourselves) get used to seeing us one way that it can be unsettling to see drastic changes at first.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    First of all you look great! I am 5'10" with a CW of 164 and GW of 150. Also I like a little collar bone showing, nothing sick looking or bags of bones, just being able to see it in tank tops and things :)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    It's not abnormal for your collarbones to show. I think you look fabulous & could stop now, but okay too if you want to drop a tad more. Mom is not used to seeing you slimmer? Just a guess.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You look great! Tell her that you appreciate her concern but that you are doing it the healthy way and that you won't be "too skinny"! Love what you look like and feel like and ignore everyone else
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was just talking about this today with a friend who said the same thing to me. My neck, chest and shoulders do look thinner, smaller, whatever....like I can see the bones in my chest even. But I'm 5'7 and 147lbs. 136-150is in the ideal healthy range foe me. So I'm there now, but my goal is 143. Imma keep cruising to 136 I think now tho. Apparently the "people's choice' for my size is 134. I don't think I'm too thin, not even close, I'm average now....but ppl who are used to seeing u bigger will always have a hard time seeing u thinner. I think u look great. No worries!
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You look healthy and great! As long as you are not starving, keep it up and don't let anyone discourage you.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot! I am about 145 at 5'5" and I hear I am too thin a lot. It is their perception of you...they are not used to seeing you at this size. You do have some height on you, so very lucky! And you look great in your pic!! But if you want to lose 10 more lbs, it isn't like you are going anorexic on them, you know? I feel like 145 is a respectible weight and not too thin at all! The low 160's for you would be the same thing....do what you want to do! You look great though!! Don't let your mom sabatoge your goals!
  • HarlequinnAsh
    Options
    Other people, especially mothers look at you with rose colored glasses and see the beauty inside, so of course if she sees a drastic change in your appearance it will send out the motherly warning signals. Collarbones are meant to show, its when theyre hidden under fat that you should worry. For your height the goal youre aiming for, which I assume is around 160 or so, is definitely healthy. Just know when to stop before you get that skeletal look. I know I was 116lbs at one point and for my height 5'5 that can be a bit small but it also depends on if its fat or muscle. Ultimately its your body and how you perceive yourself, so long as you see yourself as beautiful then all is fine, again keeping it within your heights ideal body weight range.
  • KF1216
    Options
    I wish I could help you but I have the same problem. I always loose weight around my face, neck and breast. My arms, butt and legs are not where I want them to be. I can say that you look great to me. Maybe your mom is so used to seeing you one way. Great luck!:flowerforyou:

this is true. She actually works in a retail seconds store and gets me clothes all the time. I told her I need some size 8 jeans and she's yet to get them for me. Keeps getting me tens and says, "oh, this is a slim fit style". Yes...but still too big ;-) (the company she works for runs big, I wish I was an 8 in every brand but more like a 10)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You look great!

My collarbones stick out too but that's normal; not unhealthy looking, unless you are sticks and bones all over and your collarbone protrudes more than usual. That doesn't appear to be the case here.
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2.5 in and I'm currently at 125.4 down from 164.2 and I'd like to lose down to 120 but everyone is telling me "NO, that'd be tooooo thin"! My lower arms are really tiny now so I guess that'd be the only area I really think I see the biggest difference. But I'm starting to see my collarbone a little and I don't think it looks bad...lol..My final goal was 125 so I'm almost there pretty much but I'm gonna "secretly" see what 5 more pounds lost will look like! :) I think you look GREAT and not "sickly" at all! Great job!
  • KF1216
    Options
    I get that a lot! I am about 145 at 5'5" and I hear I am too thin a lot. It is their perception of you...they are not used to seeing you at this size. You do have some height on you, so very lucky! And you look great in your pic!! But if you want to lose 10 more lbs, it isn't like you are going anorexic on them, you know? I feel like 145 is a respectible weight and not too thin at all! The low 160's for you would be the same thing....do what you want to do! You look great though!! Don't let your mom sabatoge your goals!

yep, 160 is my goal - it's arbitrary though, that's what I weighed on my wedding day 5yrs ago, but I'm already smaller than I was then. I am loving how I look right now, but the thighs and tummy tick me off! Ah, and my upper arms could use some slim-down too. Not sure how much more I need to lose to get them looking like I want but I guess I'll find out, eh?

and, seriously, thank you all! I really wasn't fishing or expecting so many compliments and it has given me a huge boost on the crappy day I've had!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My collar bones always stuck out, even before I reached my goal (lost 14 lbs).

When I was very young, I got collar bones; when I was pregnant, I got collar bones; when I got older I got collar bones. You have a long neck line.,just like I do, so they will be more noticeable.

They show more when the hair is up or short. So let your hair down girl and wear a nice necklace and ear rings. Problem solved.

You are doing and looking great (specially your legs). Congratulations on your success.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Ma is just used to seeing you at a heavier weight. My Ma told me this too (once upon a time) and know what I did? I started wearing necklaces to draw her attention to them rather than my "jutting collar bones" as she put it. I think you look fantastic!