I dont try to eat little calories...I just do. Normal?

Options
I only eat when Im hungry, and then I eat something healthy. Like today I had 2 egg whites for breakfast, and a large (10 oz) greek salad (with feta, kalamata olives and lost of greens-no dressing) for lunch, and an ice cream cone (i know...). I have yet to eat dinner, and I burned 227 calories on the treadmill. So my "net" calorie amount was only 125. Which seems super low, but im NOT hungry. And I usually eat like this most days. I never noticed how little calories I ate until I started tracking them on here.
What is up? Shouldnt I be hungrier?

Replies

• dreamof_perfection
    dreamof_perfection Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    idk if something is wrong with me or??
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    Same problem..... I'm at least 400 calories short of my 1200 goal... Daily....And I don't do it on purpose.
    Not sure if I should force myself to eat more since I don't want to be in "starvation mode"
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started a thread for this same topic earlier in the week. I haven't even been logging any exercise and I am frequently under 1000 calories, but I'm just not hungry. I feel like I'm eating a lot at my meals, but it is all healthy and low calories (lots of veggies with a moderation of carbs and protein). Basically by cutting out snacking on sweets and eating desserts, I am no longer eating my daily calorie limit and not wanting to force myself to. I'm losing weight fairly quickly as a result, but I don't know if I'm risking going into starvation mode at some point. However, having finally just broken a stress eating habit, I am loathe to make myself eat when not hungry.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Its not just you :)

I struggle to get my recommended in. Most days I force myself to eat more then I would.. I just dont get why im not hungry :(
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing this a good while now?...IF so then that's the problem...your body is used to eat by now...time to eat up. I would say add 100 cals per week and see how you feel.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I only eat when Im hungry, and then I eat something healthy. Like today I had 2 egg whites for breakfast, and a large (10 oz) greek salad (with feta, kalamata olives and lost of greens-no dressing) for lunch, and an ice cream cone (i know...). I have yet to eat dinner, and I burned 227 calories on the treadmill. So my "net" calorie amount was only 125. Which seems super low, but im NOT hungry. And I usually eat like this most days. I never noticed how little calories I ate until I started tracking them on here.
    What is up? Shouldnt I be hungrier?

That doesn't "seem" super low, that IS super low. You are not fueling your body adequately, and it will catch up with you.

Food does not have to be low-cal to be healthy. For breakfast, have a whole egg cooked in a bit of olive oil with a slice of whole grain toast, add some chicken and a bit of dressing to your Greek salad, etc.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    It is so easy to add a bunch of calories quickly and in a healthy way. Let good fats be your friend not your foe. Some examples:

Olive, Canola, Sesame and Coconut Oils-- 120 calories and add great flavor to veggies/stir fry
    1 medium banana = ~100 calories
    2 tbsp of Peanut Butter or other nut butters (All natural is better) = ~200 calories
    1/2 medium avocado = ~125 calories
    1/4 cup (about a handful) of raw nuts (avoid the salted ones = ~180 calories

One of my favs is simply a banana and the 2 tbsp of PB. So simple, very filling and all good.

Protein shakes are another. Add 1 cup of frozen fruit and a banana to 1c skim milk and you're easily over 400 calories for the typical Protein smoothie.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    put dressing on your salad. full fat one. that will up your cals and be damn tasty
    eat the egg whites with oil! and the yolks if you like them.
    eat some pork/chicken/cow meat!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had this problem until I started strength training. Then my appetite came back with a vengeance! LOL I just needed to up my protein. Maybe go lift weights??
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Also, eating so little really will not make you lose real fat faster. What it will do is cause your body to eat your muscles...where else is it gonna get the protein it needs if you refuse to eat it? Eat right, exercise, and the excess fat will fall off.