1200 is the magic number?

Options
Where are people getting this "magic" number of 1200 calories a day? It seems a bit random to me. And people are constantly saying "NO ONE should eat ANY LESS than 1200 or you'll gain weight!" I feel like they're generalizing people and what works for them. If there is a woman that is 4'10" or something, surely 1200 wouldn't be starving her?

I dont know...sometimes I just get the feeling that people heard this number somewhere sometime and now refuse to let it go, but don't really understand the logic behind it...just my $0.02.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    It was set by the American College of Sports Medicine.

ACSM recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's the MFP floor calories. It's a common floor because of nutrition and satiety needs can usually be met for a human at that level. Of course, some will need to eat below it to lose, some will need to eat above it for satiety.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am just 5 feet tall and I can say that 1200 is very restrictive! I personally feel that I have played havoc with my metabolism by eating close or less than 1200 and exercising like a maniac and NOT SEEING any results! Did I fall sick???No! but it sure took a toll emotionally and maybe physically when i saw no change in my body composition.

Just my humble opinion.....
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Where are people getting this "magic" number of 1200 calories a day? It seems a bit random to me. And people are constantly saying "NO ONE should eat ANY LESS than 1200 or you'll gain weight!" I feel like they're generalizing people and what works for them. If there is a woman that is 4'10" or something, surely 1200 wouldn't be starving her?

I dont know...sometimes I just get the feeling that people heard this number somewhere sometime and now refuse to let it go, but don't really understand the logic behind it...just my $0.02.

and just to add - I'm 4ft 11, and yes, 1200 was too little for me personally.
  • 1234567kate9
    Options
    my bad, guess I'm making assumptions too. I'm 5'9" so I really have no clue as to diets for shorter women haha . Thanks for the info everyone
  • rrumbolt
    rrumbolt Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    every one's body is different; i sometimes have to force myself to eat that many calories, and im 5"7