Question for women only

Options
I'm on birth control and I was just wondering if it caused any of you to gain weight. If so, how much? Ive been on it for about 4 months

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    MANY years ago, yes i was on BC and it only caused me to gain a few pounds. It doesnt effect eveyone the same way.

Of course.. pregnancy makes you gain A LOT more! ;)
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    depo provera did.. 7 lbs for each 3 month period.. I got 2 shots=6 months..
  • sleepynyago
    Options
    Depo can cause weight gain...BCPs do not.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm on the pill. Nope no weight gain.
  • nikki_1123
    nikki_1123 Posts: 33
    Options
    It really depends which birth control you're on and how it reacts with your body.
    I was on the BC pill yasmin for about three months and I gained about ten pounds even with my eating the same, although I didn't do as much exersize during those three months.
    Anyway, I switched birth control and I'm down 16 pounds since!

Good luck :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    depo provera did.. 7 lbs for each 3 month period.. I got 2 shots=6 months..

my oldest daughter was on that when the pill didnt help her period.. shes small.. so i didnt really notice, but when she came OFF depo.. she dropped like 12 pounds in 2 weeks.. i was freaking out! took her to the docs.. thats what it was!
  • rollergirl12
    Options
    Nope, no weight gain associated with my birth control pills. The DP shots can make you gain weight though.
  • ladygrly
    ladygrly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I got off birthcontrol when I was 28. I was on it from age 22-28. I gained and lost weight over the years while I was on it, however, I could never lose past a certain point. When I went off birthcontrol, I immediately lost 5 pounds and was able to lose even more to get down to 117. I since gained back a lot :-( and I'm trying to get to 117 again.
    So in a nutshell, yes you do gain weight, but it's only about 5 pounds of water weight.
    Jessica
  • klgglasgow
    klgglasgow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My boobs got a lot bigger....but that was it. Hmmmmmmmm....maybe I should go back on them. :wink:
  • daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm on tricylin or something. one of the pills. Im not sure if i have any weight gain since Ive been working out and watching what I eat. I just hope this doesnt cancel out my hard work
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    I was on different birth control pills over a span of 16 years... and most of them did cause some weight gain (about 10lbs). They all messed with my hormones. If you are worried about weight gain from medication, talk to your Dr.
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I gained 22 Lbs on BCP ( this was when I first started to take them )so yes you can it depends on the person. any hormonal fluctuation can cause weight gain ( gained 50 lbs after the put me on 25+ different BCP and hormones to get me to stop bleeding. I bleed 8 months straight)
  • sleepynyago
    Options
    ^^ I just discussed ortho tri-cyclen and weight gain today with an ob-gyn...according to her, all the research points to ortho as being a very good bcp for weight control. There is no evidence of it causing weight gain...it shouldn't be working against you:)
  • daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Im on tricyclen. I havent noticed any specific weight gain when I started, but I wasn't keeping track at the time.
    I think they say you may gain1-5lbs but it would be unusual to gain more than that I believe.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it depends not only on the brand but your own body and how it reacted to the increased estogen/progesterone. Some people gain a lot, some not any at all. But most birth controls will cause increased appetite as well as water weight increase, so it's quite possible and very common.
    I've been on BC since november and it's been pretty bad. we should make a group just for women on birth control cause no one understands how hard it is to lose the weight.
  • karina530
    karina530 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me any birth control I was on would never allow me to loose weight, I didnt really gain, but I definitly could not loose=/
  • Pacileo4Evers
    Pacileo4Evers Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For me any birth control I was on would never allow me to loose weight, I didnt really gain, but I definitly could not loose=/
    I had this problem too!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm on tricylin or something. one of the pills. Im not sure if i have any weight gain since Ive been working out and watching what I eat. I just hope this doesnt cancel out my hard work

It might make you hold weight (most likely fluid) for part of your cycle, but it won't cancel out your work.You're likely on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo -- which is a low dose hormone pill, which means weight gain shouldn't be as predominate as it would be with a heavier dose hormone pill, though temporary weigh gain (again, fluid most likely) is possible.

I highly recommend measuring yourself to track progress and not just rely on the scale. I have Mirena (which is a low dose hormone IUD), it totally makes me hold water weight two weeks of my cycle, even though I am still getting smaller. Eventually my weight catches up -- but the measurements keep me encouraged and motivated.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I never gained weight on bcp, and took it at different times in my life (as an unmarried teen, as a married woman, after kids) with breaks in between.. my weight gain was entirely due to other circumstances. As a matter of fact, I ultimately had to have a hysterectomy, and my weight loss came after that.. Not directly because of the hysterectomy, but I would not have been able to work out with the pain before the hysterectomy.