P90X or Insanity

Options
Wondering on the advisability of using either of these DVD's given lack of exercise over the last year, bad joints (bad ankle sprain now) and rotoscoliosis of the lumbar and tilted pelvis...what do you all think? I have seen some amazing results from them:)

Replies

• twotailedvulpine
    twotailedvulpine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do believe both are designed for people that are already and somewhat ok health. p90X especially will be terrible for your joints.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Insanity is hard on your joints. Lots of jumping involved.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I were considering either of those exercise plans, I'd give my doc a phone call first. Just from what you said about your physical challenges waves all kinds of red flags. Your dr knows your history and will give you some sound advice. Best wishes!

If you end up doing either of those, please repost later and let us know what you think! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'd start with 30 day shred (its free on youtube) to get some stamina before you try one of the harder ones.
  • monicadeleon09
    Options
    insanity is great i have gotten great results from it, however i had calve problems from the first month & i do have pelvic problems due to my last pregnancy.. But what i did is skip the workouts that were hurting my ankle or pelvic & substituted with jogging. Insanity is not made for everybody & give it what you got i can't give it all 100% because of my previous injuries, low blood pressure & anemic, but i give it all i can & i am seeing great results! Hope this works for you..
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the input :) perhaps I will stick with the minor stuff I am doing for now til my ankle is fully healed....work my way up to the shred then try one of the DVD's -I will keep you posted:)
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said Insanity is hard on the joints. I am a marathoner... and I stopped Insanity in month 2 because my knees were aching. Now I do it every once in a while. It is a great workout - loads of jumping.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    You may want to consider one of the other Beachbody programs such as Power 90 as a starting point. It's a good way to get back in the swing of things, have a very easy to follow nutrition plan and you can have just as good results. It's not as intense as P90X or Insanity but definitely works. You can also go to Beachbody's website and download the P90X or Insanity Fit Test. Give them a whirl and it'll give you a good sense on if you can handle either of them at this time. When I first started exercising I just read the P90X one and quickly decided to start elsewhere. I did two rounds of Power 90, lost 35 lbs and then did P90X. Just starting Insanity now.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    P90X is NO JOKE. Definitely not for beginners, and if you have a history of joint problems, shoulder, back or neck issues, it's probably not for you. Yes, you can modify certain exercises (I use a band instead of a pull up bar right now), but it's still for people who are in pretty good shape already. I've been exercising on and off for most of my life; I was also working out for five months before I began P90X, and I still started with the P90X lean program, which is a modified version of the full program. I would recommend Biggest Loser workouts to start, since they are easier to modify to low impact. Good luck! :smile:
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    P90X is NO JOKE. Definitely not for beginners, and if you have a history of joint problems, shoulder, back or neck issues, it's probably not for you. Yes, you can modify certain exercises (I use a band instead of a pull up bar right now), but it's still for people who are in pretty good shape already. I've been exercising on and off for most of my life; I was also working out for five months before I began P90X, and I still started with the P90X lean program, which is a modified version of the full program. I would recommend Biggest Loser workouts to start, since they are easier to modify to low impact. Good luck! :smile:

This is true it's not for beginners nor is it easy but there is another program by Tony Horton called 10 minute trainer. My wife has it and really likes it. Look into it, it might be what you need to start with.
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    Thanks Spartan i will look into it:)
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    thank you everyone for the ideas- I will take them all into consideration -my biggest enemy is impatience with myself as i used to be in great shape! then blew it all when i got divorced and now I am starting from scratch :(