A lesson from behavioral science

Options
So I wanted to post something that has helped me in my weight loss journey so far. In the field of behavioral science there is one school of thought that categorizes the concept of "influence" into a six-quadrant grid containing the following areas:
1. Personal Motivation
2. Social Motivation
3. Structural Motivation
4. Personal Ability
5. Social Ability
6. Structural Ability

As I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that we can use the same concepts here for supporting any personal change, with a few small edits. Thus I took these ideas and have applied them to my own weight loss as follows:

1. Personal Motivation – overcome individual reluctance and resistance
Eliminate reasons for not eating better
Make eating better more enjoyable
Connect weight loss with my core values/wants/desires
Eliminate unpleasant parts of exercising
Eliminate excuses for not exercising

2. Social Motivation – enlist help
Use peer pressure to keep me on track
Stay accountable to someone

3. Structural Motivation – “Carrot and stick”
Use rewards that encourage the right behavior
Use negative reinforcement to discourage bad choices

4. Personal Ability – Learn the necessary skills for success
Learn more about good food choices
Learn to cook healthy foods
Learn to avoid injury when working out
Learn more about fun and interesting activities to stay active
Learn how to not use food as a reward
Learn how to make food less important in my life

5. Social Ability – Leverage teamwork
Work with other that have the same or similar goals such as family members, co-workers & friends
Use a fitness coach/mentor for learning, feedback, and accountability— NOTE: Does not have to be a professional
Use a diet coach/mentor for learning, feedback, and accountability— NOTE: Does not have to be a professional

6. Structural Ability – create a supportive physical environment
Remove obstacles such as junk food from house
Limit eating out
Make food ahead when possible or keep a ready supply of frozen dinners when not possible
Make lunches ahead of time and take to work – only eat what you take
Keep your goals top of mind by:
i. Placing notes in strategic places
ii. Placing pictures of my ideal physique in strategic places
iii. Placing pictures of rewards in strategic places

Obviously, the details of your individual plan may be different than mine, but enlisting ideas from all six quadrants can be very helpful to successful change. For what it's worth, In my plan, I have a ton more detail where I explain how I actually do some of these things. I left the bulk of that out because first of all, some of the details are a bit personal, and in addition, most of it would have made this unnecessarily long without really being beneficial to others.

I hope this concept is useful to some of you!

Replies

• ceelg
    ceelg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    So I wanted to post something that has helped me in my weight loss journey so far. In the field of behavioral science there is one school of thought that categorizes the concept of "influence" into a six-quadrant grid containing the following areas:
    1. Personal Motivation
    2. Social Motivation
    3. Structural Motivation
    4. Personal Ability
    5. Social Ability
    6. Structural Ability

As I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that we can use the same concepts here for supporting any personal change, with a few small edits. Thus I took these ideas and have applied them to my own weight loss as follows:

1. Personal Motivation – overcome individual reluctance and resistance
    Eliminate reasons for not eating better
    Make eating better more enjoyable
    Connect weight loss with my core values/wants/desires
    Eliminate unpleasant parts of exercising
    Eliminate excuses for not exercising

2. Social Motivation – enlist help
    Use peer pressure to keep me on track
    Stay accountable to someone

3. Structural Motivation – “Carrot and stick”
    Use rewards that encourage the right behavior
    Use negative reinforcement to discourage bad choices

4. Personal Ability – Learn the necessary skills for success
    Learn more about good food choices
    Learn to cook healthy foods
    Learn to avoid injury when working out
    Learn more about fun and interesting activities to stay active
    Learn how to not use food as a reward
    Learn how to make food less important in my life

5. Social Ability – Leverage teamwork
    Work with other that have the same or similar goals such as family members, co-workers & friends
    Use a fitness coach/mentor for learning, feedback, and accountability— NOTE: Does not have to be a professional
    Use a diet coach/mentor for learning, feedback, and accountability— NOTE: Does not have to be a professional

6. Structural Ability – create a supportive physical environment
    Remove obstacles such as junk food from house
    Limit eating out
    Make food ahead when possible or keep a ready supply of frozen dinners when not possible
    Make lunches ahead of time and take to work – only eat what you take
    Keep your goals top of mind by:
    i. Placing notes in strategic places
    ii. Placing pictures of my ideal physique in strategic places
    iii. Placing pictures of rewards in strategic places

Obviously, the details of your individual plan may be different than mine, but enlisting ideas from all six quadrants can be very helpful to successful change. For what it's worth, In my plan, I have a ton more detail where I explain how I actually do some of these things. I left the bulk of that out because first of all, some of the details are a bit personal, and in addition, most of it would have made this unnecessarily long without really being beneficial to others.

I hope this concept is useful to some of you!
    Yeah, not patented so I'm stealing this!!!! Great post and I applaud how you structured it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    how does one use negative reinforcement to discourage bad choices? just out of curiosity....
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    great post thanks for sharing it!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    deserves a bump!
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    how does one use negative reinforcement to discourage bad choices? just out of curiosity....

White Goodman used it to keep himself off pizza. it worked until he lost the game to Lafluer
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I really love this! - Funny because I have actually used some of these myself :)!
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    negative reinforcement created behavior change by stopping a bad consequence. it's not a 'negative' thing. it can be a confusing concept because of the work negative in the term, but it is not punishment. basically, you create/continue a behavior that keeps a punishment from happening. ie: you lose weight to keep your clothes from getting too small. that's not the best example, but it gets the point across. or, you stop biting your nails in order to avoid them bleeding.

so basically, you want to avoid the bad consequences that come with bad choices, and thus make better choices :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options

White Goodman used it to keep himself off pizza. it worked until he lost the game to Lafluer

so if I see this movie it will prevent me from looking like a dumbass and having to google what you were talking about?!

Ok, I think I got it!!! ;) LOL thanks!!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    negative reinforcement created behavior change by stopping a bad consequence. it's not a 'negative' thing. it can be a confusing concept because of the work negative in the term, but it is not punishment. basically, you create/continue a behavior that keeps a punishment from happening. ie: you lose weight to keep your clothes from getting too small. that's not the best example, but it gets the point across. or, you stop biting your nails in order to avoid them bleeding.

so basically, you want to avoid the bad consequences that come with bad choices, and thus make better choices :)

Right. one of my own examples is that when I started, I told myself if I didn't get to 280 by August 6th, I'd have to give up watching any TV for 4 weeks. Since I don't really want that to happen, I'm more motivated to hit that goal than I would be if I just had a positive reinforcement such as the bicycle I plan to reward myself with when I do make that goal. Thus there are positive consequences if I make a goal, and negative ones if I don't. This has been shown to be much more effective than just positive reinforcement since I both want the positive thing, and don't want the negative thing.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing post and great insight to the human soul lol I could and am going to use this for my own advancement in several categories :) thank you for posting!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Me likey =)
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump so i can read it later ...
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I hope you find it works for you!