My Metabolism

AlannaPie
AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying my darn-est to increase my metabolism. I am recommitting myself to working out at least 5 days a week, but the biggest change I'm trying to make is my eating. I'm trying to break my food up into many smaller meals throughout the day. For breakfast I had a serving of cereal and 1/2 c whole milk (no I will not drink low fat), I ate an apple while I was teaching and about a 1/3 gallon of water. For lunch I had a serving of V8 broccoli soup with 2 oz of chicken shredded in it (delicious!). I ate a nice avocado and some chocolate in the afternoon. For dinner I'll have ronzoni smart pasta and 93% lean beef.

I feel good and I'm not dying for food when I get home. But I eat dinner at 5pm because I start working out at the gym at 8. I'm eating many meals, but is it okay that I stop eating so early in the day? I'm not getting to bed until 11.

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    I have been trying to eat dinner as soon as I get home and that is 5:00pm. But I go to bed between 9 and 10. I seem to be doing alright by sticking to it. But I too would like to know if it is okay to stop eating so early.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I too am trying to manage my meals better. So I broke my calories up into 400 for meals and 200 for snacks.

I have always heard that it is better to eat a bigger meal earlier in the day--but in saying that I was told by a nutritionist that it is important to eat within an hour of working out to give your body fuel to repair itsself. Something with protein.

Good luck!
  • Give it some time. It doesn't happen straight away. I have been doing similar with my meals and it took a few weeks with regular exercise to start to speed it up. You won't see it working for you sometimes for even a month! Then you have to keep it up for the pounds to start to drop off. Keep it up!
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Give it some time. It doesn't happen straight away. I have been doing similar with my meals and it took a few weeks with regular exercise to start to speed it up. You won't see it working for you sometimes for even a month! Then you have to keep it up for the pounds to start to drop off. Keep it up!

Thanks for posting that - I need that reminder! I just adjusted everything about a week ago and haven't seen the scale budge yet - I know it takes more then 7 days for the body to adjust. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll notice the difference.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    I am trying my darn-est to increase my metabolism. I am recommitting myself to working out at least 5 days a week, but the biggest change I'm trying to make is my eating. I'm trying to break my food up into many smaller meals throughout the day. For breakfast I had a serving of cereal and 1/2 c whole milk (no I will not drink low fat), I ate an apple while I was teaching and about a 1/3 gallon of water. For lunch I had a serving of V8 broccoli soup with 2 oz of chicken shredded in it (delicious!). I ate a nice avocado and some chocolate in the afternoon. For dinner I'll have ronzoni smart pasta and 93% lean beef.

I feel good and I'm not dying for food when I get home. But I eat dinner at 5pm because I start working out at the gym at 8. I'm eating many meals, but is it okay that I stop eating so early in the day? I'm not getting to bed until 11.

I eat my dinner at about the same time, and get to bed between 9 and 10 at night. I always save enough calories in the day for a before-bed snack, because I have a tendancy to wake up starving and run to the fridge in the middle of the night. I usually try to avoid carbs and sugar before bed, so if I really need a snack, I'll have a couple of nuts or a hard-boiled egg.
  • AlannaPie
    Good idea I'll have a hard boiled egg before bed!
  • 1/2 a can of tuna straight after works really well, protein to replen the muscles and aid recovery.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    yeah, changing your metabolism will take time, but good for you for beginning it! While I don't see a big issue with your last meal at 5:00, although if you are doing weight training or some other type of anaerobic workouts at night then I would suggest a small protein/carb snack afterward to prevent your body from canabalizing existing protein, it doesn't have to be big, maybe 5 to 8 grams of protein and say 15 to 25 grams of carbs or so (that's about 150 to 250 calories if you're counting).

But other than that, if you feel ok doing it, I don't see an issue with it. Keep up the great work.
  • AlannaPie
    Okay. I feel fine at the end of the night, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't killing my efforts by leaving too long a time period without eating. I just boiled some eggs. I'm going to have two egg white when I come home: 8g of protein. I don't want to eat a lot at 10:30 before I go to bed
This discussion has been closed.