Can ketchup make you fat?

Options
I eat ketchup alot. And I was wondering since it has alot of sugar in it, will it make you fat? Anyone know the answer to my question? I think im going to stop eating it, and see what happens.

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That would be a good experiment. You already answered your own question when you referenced the amount of sugar in ketchup. :happy:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything makes you fat.

You can lose weight eating ketchup, although there are many good reason why you should not eat it
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What are you putting the ketchup on? That is probably more likely the issue.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    That would be a good experiment. You already answered your own question when you referenced the amount of sugar in ketchup. :happy:

So, sugar makes you fat?

Hmm...

My answer would have been:

If you eat enough catchup to put you over your calorie goals (yuck?), you bet it'll make you fat.

If not...well, not.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is not going to turn into another MAYO thread is it?
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    This is not going to turn into another MAYO thread is it?

these are good questions. dont hate.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    Depends on how many bottles you drink
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation:drinker: Americans now say it 'tis a veggie! {along with pizza!} :laugh:
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of these questions.

Moderation is key. A tablespoon here and there is fine. Drink the bottle, you have an issue.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This thread would make my husband run for the hills. You just have to say ketchup and he runs away!
  • LilyAstro
    LilyAstro Posts: 5
    Options
    They make reduced sugar ketchup and if you just can't give it up it's a really good alternative. I'm on a low carb plan currently and it is really a godsend lol.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    What are you putting the ketchup on? That is probably more likely the issue.

^^ This is exactly what I was gonna say :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you put it on several hot dogs per day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no single food that is going to make you fat or thin - only lots of different food made up of lots of different macros.

Keep an eye on your sugar numbers (if that is something that concerns you) and eat whatever food you enjoy (including ketchup!) and that get you to the macros that you want.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    personally I try and buy the Heinz sugar free ketchup! It honestly tastes just as good! But it's a lot of money. :( Maybe start buying the sugar free version and cut your ketchup consumption in 1/3? You'd actually be 'saving' money on ketchup then :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you put it on several hot dogs per day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And even THEN only if the hot dogs put you over your target calories!!

:laugh:
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

So, sugar makes you fat?

Hmm...

My answer would have been:

If you eat enough catchup to put you over your calorie goals (yuck?), you bet it'll make you fat.

If not...well, not.

Agree with this. Stop trying to place the blame on one individual thing. Ketchup can make you fat if you eat enough to put you in a caloric surplus. Eat it all you want as long as you are still under your daily calorie goal. Same thing goes for sugar lol. Sugar isn't some magic food that totally defies the laws of human physiology.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you eat ketchup on a calorie surplus, you will gain weight
    if you eat ketchup on a calorie deficit, you will lose weight
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you love it, but be careful about tracking it to stay in your daily goals. Measure it at least a couple times to see how much you actually use when you're just squirting it out of the bottle so you can count it accurately - it's really easy to underestimate how much of a condiment you're using.
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    This thread would make my husband run for the hills. You just have to say ketchup and he runs away!

what a weirdo. haha. ;p