I NEED ENCOURAGEMENT....PLEASE HELP

Options
I'm just trying to loose 10 lbs which maybe simple for some people but i have the hardest time doing it because i can't stay focused. I need a friend to help me or any tricks to keep striving. The smallest discouragement like gaining alb knocks me down. how to I fix my laziness?!

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Set small goals, realistic ones too! This is what I'm doing and it's working like a charm!

My focus is not losing pounds but losing inches. I've found this to be far easier to focus on because results come quickly.

I'm losing about .5 to 1 full inch on a weekly basis. If I can do it... so can you! baby steps are the key.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a few months ago -- wanted to lose 10lbs but didn't think I had the motivation to do it!!!
    I finally found a program that worked for me (Turbo Fire) and a supportive community of people on MyFitnessPal. I told myself 21 days forms a habit, so if I could just make it through the first 21 days of clean eating and exercising, that the rest would be easier! 21 days passed... then 30... then 60... then 90... you get the picture!! I'm now down 8lbs and onto my next program... working out daily is a requirement for me now!

Surround yourself with people with similar goals and find people who are motivating. I browsed the forums daily to see before/after pictures because that is what got me off my butt!!

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
    I'm just trying to loose 10 lbs which maybe simple for some people but i have the hardest time doing it because i can't stay focused. I need a friend to help me or any tricks to keep striving. The smallest discouragement like gaining alb knocks me down. how to I fix my laziness?!
  • spen9573
    spen9573 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So how to do loose inches instead of lbs?? That's actually really interesting but I have no idea how to do that! do you just measure everyday or is there something else to it?
  • rore62
    rore62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just take 1 lb at a time. Don't look at the big picture. Before you know it the 1 lb losses will add up to the 10 lb goal you have set for yourself.
  • susieeasterwood
    Options
    don't focus on ten lbs. just do three. then when u get there do three again. if u move it u losei it. no junk food either. u know what i mean sodas, snacks,etc. lay off the carbs, yes its hard. i have been doing it for 7 weeks and i have lost 15 lbs. hard as hell and i am an old lady (68). so hang in there and "get er done" i know u can do it.

Trashy
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but looking at the scale too often discourages me. I keep the scale check to once a week, mabye less.
  • lauren_mead
    Options
    Eating a stalk of celery and drinking a full glass of lemon water every hour helps me not only by curbing my appetite, but by keeping my mind on my goals.
  • MollieBeth1
    Options
    If you want to lose inches you need a workout program that will help to strengthen your body.

Also, for the OP: Strive to set a goal that is easily attainable. I.E.: This week I will drink at least two glasses of water everyday. Do that for a week or two, then set another goal while still maintaining the first goal. Also, take a minute to look and see if 10lbs is even a realistic goal. Why not strive to make little changes and try to lose a pound in the next two weeks. The last 10 is a pain in the neck, probably the hardest pounds to lose, but keep it up and stay motivated!
  • katiewilliams7
    katiewilliams7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Don't focus on tomorrow, because tomorrow's never come. Wake up each morning and tell yourself that you are going to do the very best that you can do TODAY! Only worry about the day ahead. I find that if I focus on days ahead I get discouraged. Also, ALWAYS log your meals BEFORE you eat them. This way if it's too many calories, or too many carbs you can adjust your food before you ate it. My Dr. has me only eating 50 carbs or less a day. It's hard, really hard but in 8 weeks I have lost 32 pounds. You can do it!
  • jschway
    jschway Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I joined at the very end of February and just this week hit the ten pounds gone mark. It took a lot of experimenting with different types of workouts to find ones that were challenging AND enjoyable enough to stick with, as well as tweaking my calorie intake. It can definitely take time to find what works right for you, so try not to be discouraged. I've had plenty of those "I'm doing X, Y, and Z and nothing's changing!" moments, so don't let them get you down on yourself! Just keep pushing and try something new until you find something that works AND that you can enjoy, because the goal aside from the weight loss should really be to make new, healthy, SUSTAINABLE habits. Feel free to add me if you'd like to chat more and share encouragement / vent frustrations =]
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time (just like AA). I just focused on meeting my goal for that first day and then the next and then the next. When I put on a pound I just focused the next day on losing that pound. It's working.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Another idea... take pictures!!! I take pictures at the end of every week. It's really awesome when you start to see changes in your body -- it's even more rewarding than seeing the number on the scale go down =)
  • susieeasterwood
    Options
    hey girl u look really awesome hang in there and u might be on the cover of sports illistrated. looking in good!!

Trashy
  • agmick
    agmick Posts: 6
    Options
    If you've got some extra money--I'll say my Fitbit has been a huge motivator (www.fitbit.com)--it's basically a pedometer on steroids with a website component as well (which syncs up nicely with MFP). You can set goals for steps, distance, floors covered etc...