wake up in middle of night hungry

Options
For some reason the last week I have been waking up around 1 am hungry. So hungry that I cant go back to sleep. I have tried drinking water but it just come back about a hour later. I don't eat after 9. What other ideas u guys have?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    are you chronically undereating?
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    75gms of lite cottage cheese b4 bed.... Thats what I try to do most nights.... I went to a Thailand bootcamp and was told it was a good idea.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    a spoon full of peanut butter before bed. I know you said you don't eat after 9, but it sounds like your body is saying it's hungry. Try to PB (Or some other healthy fat) before bed along with the water and call it a night.
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    75gms of lite cottage cheese b4 bed.... Thats what I try to do most nights.... I went to a Thailand bootcamp and was told it was a good idea.

My doctor said it is VERY important to eat a little bit of protein every night before you go to bed to sustain yourself throughout the night. I also eat a single serving of Breakstone Lite Cottage Cheese.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Actually I started eating my BMR amount of calories because I was stuck. My diary is public well it should be lol. I will try Pb or almonds and water before bed tomorrow and see what happens
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I usually try to wait about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before my last meal and bedtime, sometimes I'm hungry before I go to bed, if so, I have a scoop of whey protein with water, most days I dont get hungry in the middle of the night though unless I did a whole lot of exercise that day and didnt eat any of my calories back. It could be several factors for you, are you eating enough everyday? Are you getting in lean protein and fresh veggies? If your on a healthy nutrition plan, and getting enough calories, and your still hungry, you might want to try adjusting your macros, increase your protein and lower your carbs a little, wait about a week and adjust them again if you're still getting midnight cravings.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat your dinner later.
    or move a snack to before bed.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    1) It looks like you were having frequent really low days until about a week ago. I'd hazard a guess that it's related to the recent calorie increase -- your hunger was reduced because of the chronic underfeeding, and is just getting back to normal. One of my friends had that happen when she went off a restrictive diet -- it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

2) If you wake up in the night *starving*, eat something. The rest will do you more good than a hungry night without sleep. Personally I used to do a boiled egg when that happened although I've pretty much got it under control now. I chose a boiled egg because of the fat/protein that made it digest rather slowly, usually keeping me non-hungry until breakfast.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'd say lower the carbs and increase the protein. Protein before bed should nip that right in the bud.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps!! Yes I just went up in cals last week.

I will try the protein before bed and see what happens!!