healthy food vs old habits

Options
Okay, I know that value of healthy foods to your body. Don't freak out by how I am wording this. I worked hard a year ago to change over to some healthier foods to replace not so healthy foods. I managed but became aware that I was eating stuff I don't like for stuff I do. I don't mean cakes vs fruit. that sort of thing but stuff like white meat for dark and always grilled instead of good old fried.I went with out the fried foods for months and ate things I had never had like yogurts and new to me veggies. My family wont eat these things and get upset with me for always fixing it and to be honest I got so sick of chicken breasts (which I have always hated) that I can barely look at one with out gagging. I do not know about herbs or other things and when I get them and do not care for them I am wasting my families preciously scarce food allowance. How do I go about trying things such as new foods or new seasonings with out wasting money and causing my family to have to eat the same?
I know..they need to eat healthier too but try telling the man who works until he drops that he cant have what he wants to eat when he pays for it. Not right if you ask me. Sooo long and short of it. How do I find a way to taste healthier foods and how do I learn not to resent having to eat things I don't like?

Replies

• merd0210
    merd0210 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Look at e-meals meal planning low fat option. You do have to pay a little up front but it has been great for my family. It e-mails you a plan a week of low-fat meals and gives you a grocery list with the brands that are lower cost (at certain stores like walmart, ect). Its helped us get variety of low-fat foods and tasty foods and groceries a little cheaper. They have other options other than low fat or walmart as well.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm interested in hearing responses too!

Through the summer, I have my 2 children and 2 step-children for a week at a time, one week with me, one week with their dad, etc.

On the weeks where I have all 4 kids, I can NOT maintain my normal diet! It's impossible for me to stay under my calorie goals because we stay so busy, having to fix them different foods because they're picky, etc!

So, for example, this week I have NO kids at home. I will spend this week making up for last week. If I make it through the summer coming out even, I'll be happy!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Google and find lists of flavors that compliment certain foods...example: Chicken and fish are both GREAT with lemon pepper. Make it healthier by using actual lemon juice and ground pepper, that helps avoid extra salt. I promise if you make it taste good, they will eat it! And remember you can always eat some of the "old" foods...just practice moderation!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Once a month, my girlfriends and I get together and make a recipe we found, and we each bring 1-2 ingredients. It really helps keep the cost down, and we get some precious girlfriend time :-)

Also, I do not buy more than 2 new ingredients a week. That way I can slowly build up a rotation of spices and such. I haven't had to buy a new spice in a long time, though. Once you get a feel for what flavor the spice brings, you will be able to get creative with it.

One spice I wish I bought sooner was coriander. It's amazing for any Mexican food.
  • ttesta20
    ttesta20 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com - the lady has taken all of the classic comfort foods and remade them to be healthier and better for you. All of her recipes have the nutrition facts listed at the bottom, and she has everything from appetizers to desserts to drinks to holiday-themed stuff. It has been a lifesaver for us - my husband wasn't too excited about changing his diet when I did, but this website has provided a lot of good ideas and 99% of the time he can't tell that it's a "healthy" recipe!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I eat variations on what I make for my bf. So if he has hamburgers and fries one night, i have a hamburger with no bun and some salad. If i make him fried chicken, i pull two pieces aside and put them in chicken broth or something and cook them. If he wants spaghetti, i cut up a zuchinni into small thin pieces like noodles and use the same sauce as him.

I just vary what I eat. I always serve a vegetable and I expect him to eat some too but i know that he will enjoy the main course so i don't worry too much about the sides. When he wants potatoes or something heavy for a side, i just make sure to have a side salad instead. It doesn't cost too much extra to alter your meals.

Also, when i want to try knew things, i try to see if they have it at a restaurant where i can sample it or see if a friend of mine wants to try it too and we will meet up and make something together and have it for lunch. You can split the cost and if you don't like it no big deal.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate that practice makes perfect on that front. Trial and error! I am the only one in my house opting to attempt at healthy eating so often my compromise comes in with smaller portions of what they asked for or trying NEW RECIPES! (While everyone groans) Once in a while I get a hit they will ask for again other times they stare at the Pizza Hut coupon on the fridge.

It is really hard not to get down when I bring a meal to the table and my husband gets up to get bread and butter, pickles, soda and chips to go along with the full meal I made. But I let it go and try to restrain my daughter (5) from having any more than one piece of bread to fill herself on.

It took a bit of griping and complaining but I eventually convinced them that cooking with olive oil did not make everything taste funny. They acclimated slowly. We will never meet in the middle and there will always be two loaves of bread - my 12 grain and his white.

As for seasoning, try to take pride in the new "collection" you have accrued. Keep them on hand because there may come a day where you find a delicious sounding recipe that calls for some unusual spices you didn't care for in the first place.
  • hfugger
    hfugger Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions to find recipes that offer ways to really increase the flavor return on your healthier foods; but I get tired of chicken too! LOL
    Variety is the spice of life...try anything you can get your hands on.
    My husband loves YUMMLY.com for recipes. It isn't geared for weight loss, just for recipes/taste. But it is a good place to start to get IDEAS on what to cook, and then find ways to make the recipes a little healthier at a time. Incremental steps will be a good way to slowly introduce the family to new cooking methods and to new foods.
    Another thing I try with my kids at home (boys, 12 and 9)....I get them to help prepare meals. When they actually help with things, they are more open to trying it. And if they helped A LOT, they are more invested in 'liking' it.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone else's suggestions too!!!
  • priddy_girl
    priddy_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    By watching my calorie intake carefully all day, i'm free to eat pretty much what I want in the evenings with my husband...just not as much as I used to. Also, I look for *new* vegetables to go on sale and buy a small amount to experiment with. I love finding recipes on line that sound good to me. I buy frozen vegetables that my husband does not like and only fix enough for me when we are having things that are taboo to my diet. It takes a little extra effort but is well worth it.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Make small incremental changes.

Switch out higher fat options for lower fat ones (instead of 80/20 beef - make your hamburgers with lean turkey or chicken, or even a mixture at first)

Change the way you plate meals - increase the vegetable offerings (or figure out what a 'true' serving really is, and stick to it)

Upgrade to healthier options - for example instead of standard pasta, use an enriched whole grain option. Or, make baked potato wedges instead of deep frying french fries.

Cut out more processed foods - and stick to homemade. Soups are an easy way to branch out - and are a great easy meal.

I know you said you hate chicken, but my family loves when we bake chicken breasts (bone-in) with a bit of Lawry's season salt on top. Since I have been watching what I eat - I remove the skin for my portion before baking, to remove extra fat. Or, if you mix together honey and some barbeque sauce and take chicken and either grill or bake it. And, even for those pickiest eaters, if they like bacon, try a BLT salad, with poached chicken (or even a rotisserie chicken would work).
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    You could still bake chicken drumsticks for dinner. Yes, they're more fatty than breast meat, but it's still way better than beef, especially if you remove the skin after cooking. You can buy generic seasoning salt to be fancy without worrying about a recipe.

Green beans are my go-to kids vegetable. They're not as nutritious as broccoli, but you can eat a lot for relatively few calories. If you get canned or frozen, you can just heat and eat. Don't be afraid to salt and pepper them plenty.

If you make ordinary burgers, try the more-expensive leaner beef, sneak in the high-fiber buns, and load up on low-calorie toppings like mustard, pickles, and a little ketchup. Mayonnaise is the only real bad guy.

If you want a different body, you really do have to live like a different person. It's more serious than just losing weight, and your family might not get how big this is.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat variations on what I make for my bf. So if he has hamburgers and fries one night, i have a hamburger with no bun and some salad. If i make him fried chicken, i pull two pieces aside and put them in chicken broth or something and cook them. If he wants spaghetti, i cut up a zuchinni into small thin pieces like noodles and use the same sauce as him.

I just vary what I eat. I always serve a vegetable and I expect him to eat some too but i know that he will enjoy the main course so i don't worry too much about the sides. When he wants potatoes or something heavy for a side, i just make sure to have a side salad instead. It doesn't cost too much extra to alter your meals.

Also, when i want to try knew things, i try to see if they have it at a restaurant where i can sample it or see if a friend of mine wants to try it too and we will meet up and make something together and have it for lunch. You can split the cost and if you don't like it no big deal.

^^ This is what I do, too. I buy turkey cutlets, chicken cutlets, fish filets and freeze the individually. When the rest of the family is having something less than healthy, I pull something out of my stash. If they're having mashed potatoes, I pop a small potato into the microwave for myself and smash it up with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. When my kids want omlets or scrambled eggs, I make myself an egg white omlet with whatever fresh or frozen veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms) we have. Buying healthy, freezable foods when they're on sale and packaging them up into individual portions in baggies has become a lifesaver and a timesaver for me. Good luck!
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. I am willing to fill my plate with more veggies less carbs and know to keep them frozen for myself to eat but I have not learned how to fix a lot of them in a yummy way. How to season the say asparagus that I have only had once. What to do with the various veggies and things like what is the difference in arugula and chard and romaine lettuce. I really want to know. I have been watching shows that look cool like chopped and they put some really different stuff in those baskets. They use seasonings and herbs I have never tried and would like to. The recipe sites sound good ...is there a site for guidance in use of seasonings such as herbs and spices? Will have to google I guess. I am an old lady in some ways such as making the best use of the computer. lol. Again, thanks to all of you who responded and good luck on your own journeys.
  • ibshell
    ibshell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you have so many great suggestions including websites that I myself am going to explore! I have to tell you of a few things I have really loved that have helped me continue to look forward and enjoy healthy foods in a very tasty way. First of all, spray butter. If you've never tried it, it's a must! My family now prefers it. It gives you the flavor without the fat. I don't eat my popcorn, toast, or veggies any other way. Next, if you have never tried "greek seasoning", "adobo seasoning", or "johny's garlic spread", you are in for a treat! (the first two can be found at most grocery stores such as winco, fred myer, smiths, albertson's--I buy johnny's at Costco) These are spices that have a combonation of flavors that work well with practically ANY food I've tried. Fish, beef, chicken, potatoes...any veggies, that's where I would start and every one of them are reasonably priced. Check out cooking shows for great suggestions. Keep foods tender and flavorful, and I promise you...you will be satisfied with the menu. And so will your family!
    Definately don't completely cut out foods you LOVE either, that will just discourage you.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat chicken breasts... I find thighs much tastier (even without the skin).

I make this chicken recipe ALL the time:
    http://www.wittyinthecity.com/2011/08/man-pleasing-chicken/
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to eat different foods; you just have to make the food you eat healthy
    Less fat when you cook
    Grill rather than fry
    Bake in the oven rather than deep fat fry
    Make rather than buy
    I agree plain chicken breast boring but with home made spicy breadcrumbs and grilled, chicken breast is nice, same with Stir fry peppered chicken with vegetables is nice
    If you like beef chilli, make it in advance and let cool so all the fat comes to the surface, scrape it off, Freeze the meat not the fat, and when you are extra busy, defrost and re-heat.
    If I buy normal cheap ground beef/mince, once cooked and still hot I put it in a colander, and let the fat drain out. No one can tell the difference. 2lb of ground beef/mince can give up 4 floz of fat.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. I am willing to fill my plate with more veggies less carbs and know to keep them frozen for myself to eat but I have not learned how to fix a lot of them in a yummy way. How to season the say asparagus that I have only had once. What to do with the various veggies and things like what is the difference in arugula and chard and romaine lettuce. I really want to know. I have been watching shows that look cool like chopped and they put some really different stuff in those baskets. They use seasonings and herbs I have never tried and would like to. The recipe sites sound good ...is there a site for guidance in use of seasonings such as herbs and spices? Will have to google I guess. I am an old lady in some ways such as making the best use of the computer. lol. Again, thanks to all of you who responded and good luck on your own journeys.

Tell us two or three vegetables you'd like to spice up. It is easier to help with specifics.

In terms of the lettuce leaves, it's a matter of personal taste, some are more bitter, others more sweet. The darker the leaf, the more nutritious, in general.

It is really important you find foods you LOVE to eat for your weight loss to be sustainable in the long term. Cooking them well is part of it, but there will always be some veggies you love more than others. Eat them, and forget the ones you have to force down. If you haven't found them yet, keep exploring new vegetables until you do!
  • dnrjohnsey
    dnrjohnsey Posts: 10
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean.. I have started trying something different I am not sure if this will help you but when my family eat a steak, mashed potatoes mac and cheese, I fix myself some steak, green beans, or broccoli, sometimes a tablespoon of potatoes, or a spoon of mac and cheese, just so i don't feel left out, if I fix them a sandwich, I just find the two longest leaves of lettuce I can find, and then I still use mayo, and all the good things in it, while they are having bread. If I fix eggs, bacon, and toast for breakfast, if I have to have toast, I will half a piece with my five year old.. these little things make me feel like I am not being left out,, and there is less complaining around my house.. I hope this helps or starts giving you some more ideas for you.. thanks for your blog.. :wink:
  • dnrjohnsey
    dnrjohnsey Posts: 10
    Options
    :tongue: The more garlic, sauteed onions, a little salt and pepper, and broccoli, green beans, peas, and even brussel sprouts are tasty.. hope this helps