Does it really matter..

Options
I was doing some research/reading as I do alot of and came across this from FITDAY website and was wanting feedback/opinions on this topic of.......Does it really matter when you eat.

The website says and I quote "If you are someone who refuses to eat after 8pm, you might be happy to know that eating late is not bad for your diet. Contrary to popular thought, spreading your calories out over the course of your day is better than cutting yourself off from food at a certain time. The time of day you eat any number of calories does not affect the rate at which they are metabolized by your body.

Your weight variation is determined by the simple equation, number of calories you consume minus the number of calories you burn. The time of day you consume the calories has nothing to do with the equation. If you are eating the same number of calories for dinner, it doesn't matter if you eat dinner at 5pm or at 11pm; the number of calories does not metabolize differently."

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/is-eating-late-bad-for-your-diet.html#b

Me personally believe it don't matter as long as you don't over do it. I am suppose to eat every 3-4 hrs which is impossible and some ask how when I stay at home but I do watch my grandson(s) and it isn't easy to eat that often so I basically eat breakfast around 8/8:30 ...lunch 1/1:30....if I need to snack around 4:30 and supper around 7:30 and yes I have been known to have a light snack depending on how I feel because I can't sleep if I go to bed hungry. I am not bashing anyone on how they eat, I was just
wondering what everyone else thinks on the subject since I do see it come up alot among my MFP friends and hear different things.

Replies

• jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think that is probably right too. I do not cut myself off at a certain time, my dinners are always late around 7:30 or 8:oo. I try not to eat anything real heavy in the evenings but that is more due to the fact I will be uncomfortable when I go to bed than anything. I agree with you on eating when you are hungry just don't over do it.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Read up on intermittant fasting. Eating every 3-4 hours isn't set in stone.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 8pm because I have found doing so interferes with my sleep. I NEED my 7-8 hours of rest each night, so I don't eat after 8. I don't go to bed hungry because I eat a satisfying, filling dinner.
  • jadimasi79
    jadimasi79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter when you eat because your body doesn't have any mechanism that says it is this time and I will stop processing food. Most "diets" and such that say this is because most people are less active later in the day or find themselves snacking or sneacking more food and don't pay as much attention to what and how much they are eating late in the day. :smile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat right up until the time I go to bed. Heck, if I work late - I've been known to consume 1000 calories and 30 mins later go to bed. I've lost nearly 60lbs and kept it off for almost 2 years. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you'll be fine.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Scientific studies have shown that it doesn't matter when or how often you eat. The old myths of eating 6 times a day and cutting yourself off at a certain time at night, like 8 pm, are just that... myths.

I do what feels right for me. I do plan for 6 meals a day but that's so I don't get hungry. Oftentimes I can skip one of those meals if I'm not hungry if I ate a larger meal before it. Since I'm a night owl I do plan for my late night snack which can happen as late as midnight or even 2 am. If it feels right to you, it's planned, and fits within your daily macros then do it.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I stop at 8 mainly because it helps me limit snacking. I have no trouble watching what I eat during the day. After dinner I snack. Maybe due to boredom. At 8 I'm finished, thus damage is contained.
  • derrickshunny
    derrickshunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hmmm that is interesting! My dr. told me we in the US eat backwards and that we need to eat our big meals earlier in the day, especially breakfast. now I'm not disagreeing with the article, I am just thinking this is gonna be a subject that has differing opinions from the "experts". Personally I just prefer eating my biggest meal in the middle of the day. But I still have something small in the evening and a bedtime snack. And then there is the fact that I ate my biggest meal at lunch time back when I was much smaller. So I'm sure part of it for me is psychological. This post will keep me from unnecessary worrying on the nights that we are busy and eat late. :smile:
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I feel like it (but mostly try every 2 hours from morning to lunch to avoid the I am starving feeling) my dinner is always at random times. Ive done good. I wouldnt stress about it at all. My progress has gotten me to where i am now not concerened about eating times.:flowerforyou:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There is no impediment to weight loss.

The only problem is if it makes you feel worse or better. If you can't sleep on a full stomach then it is probably prudent to stop eating a few hours before bed.

Just like eating at certain intervals. If you have cravings and eating regular small meals helps keep you feeling full, then it works. If one large meal keeps you fuller longer, then that is the way to go.