What should I eat on race day???

Options
I'm running my first 5k race tomorrow. I wonder whats the best food i could have before the race and how long before it start. Race starts at 11am. I am beginner and planning to jog all 5 k.
Any runners that could advise me??

Replies

• satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is just passing along something I've seen, not advising you on what you should do. :) I used to train with mountain bike racers about 10 years ago. The guys would train religiously for race day and then for some reason some of them would "fuel up" on a bunch of stuff that they were not used to eating just to make sure they had extra energy for the race. Special drinks and power bars... That combined with the case of the nerves that came with doing a race ended up with more than a few of them puking their guts out or having to jump off trail in a hasty look for a grove of shrubbery and a handful of leaves. I took that as a lesson in eat the same stuff that you trained with or you run the risk of upsetting your body unnecessarily. Now I step aside and let the seasoned runners actually impart wisdom on the topic. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eat as you'd normally eat, when you'd normally eat. No need to do anything special before. :smile: You're very likely already running that distance semi-regularly, so treat it as any other training run. Relax and enjoy! :smile:

And if you're anything like me, and have to pee when you get nervous, use every opportunity to visit a rest room or job johnny before the race.
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water so i pee all the time no matter I'm nervous or not ;)

Thank you for your advice guys. Ill have my usual breakfast then. What should i do about drink then? My plan was drink just before the race because if ill drink before i leave there is big possibility ill need to go to the toilet few times.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Whatever you have been doing before your training runs! As far as how much to drink. Drink enough that you aren't thirsty. 5k isn't that long and as long as you have water with you, you'll be fine.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k race tomorrow. I wonder whats the best food i could have before the race and how long before it start. Race starts at 11am. I am beginner and planning to jog all 5 k.

Personally I wouldn;t worry too much regarding food. Don;t eat anything too heavy

When you train what/when do you eat before training ?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Eat between two and three hours before your race, this gives your body a chance to digest it, otherwise you will feel heavy when running.

Don't eat anything too heavy and don't eat so that you are bloated.

Good luck in your race, have a great time and enjoy!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like to carry seedless grapes with me when I run races... it's easier to pop a grape in your mouth than it is to carry a drink and take a sip while running. :wink:
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice already :) GOOD LUCK!!!
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    I usually eat a banana before my races. Enough to fill me up but not weigh me down :)
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous replies - don't eat anything different than you would on a regular training day. That also goes for trying any new gear: shoes, sports bras, etc. It is best to go with what you know - save the new stuff for training.

Good luck tomorrow! Post back here and let us know how it goes!

Have fun!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Yeah, enjoy it

You don;t need to carry water or anything with you. Just pace yourself and enjoy

And we want to hear how you got on
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Toast with peanut butter & about 16 oz of water about an hour before the race. That will give you time to use the bathroom before it starts. Go for a banana after your run.

Have fun! Hopefully its the first of many runs to come!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How did you do in your race OP? Hopefully it went well!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    ^ This ? ^