Ladies: Cramp Foods?

Options
The title basically says it all. My uterus is congratulating me on not being pregnant, and it's congratulating me HARD. What offerings can I use to appease its wrath?

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement. 1 per day will do for your first time. I normally start them 2 days prior to my period. And make sure you have lots of calcium too!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly, and I'm not sure there's a "medical" reason for it, but a little dark chocolate and some chai tea always make me feel better. :)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Motrin. :tongue: That's what I use.
  • vouzeme
    vouzeme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried it all till I was diagnosed with endometriosis... so if it's something that gets out of control, it could be worth to have it check out?

I got on Depo Prevera shots to avoid the monthly visits in general; I'd rather battle with weight than constant pain.
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Give primrose supplements a try. They have helped me in the past. Good luck.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that a cup of peppermint tea is supposed to help. Usually does help me out.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    A heating pad, hot water bottle, or corn or rice bag warmed up and placed on your tummy. I love my corn bag, I slept with it the other night. works good for cold feet too.
    And I love the dark chocolate idea, even it it doesn't help the cramps it helps emotionally for me.
    Hope you feel better soon, mine only lasted one awful night.:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I sack out in my favorite hoodie, a heat patch, pamprin, roll over on the couch, and tell the hubby it's his turn to be a parent for the day... at least on the weekends, anyway, LOL. During the week, I ask my 17 month old if she's learned to make herself a pb&j sandwich yet.
    If you check out your local natural stuff store (we have Good Earth), they will have some homeopathic remedies for discomfort, and work great :)
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You poor thing - me too, started yesterday, ugh!

I've been searching for a solution for 34 years and have found nothing for those excruciating cramps. I've tried a variety of prescription meds, I've even tried getting drunk (but felt too lousy the next day). What works for me is 800 mg of ibuprofen every 5 hours for about 2 days in a row, and permission to eat whatever the hell I damned well please.

800 mg every 5 hours totally exceeds the recommended allowance, but since it's the only thing that works for me, I have to say too bad. So I always go on a little bit of a cleanse afterwards - I try to go for a few days drinking copious amounts of water, no alcohol or coffee, to give my liver & kidneys a break!

Good luck!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If I'm thinking about it, a nice big piece of chocolate cake always helps me. . . Probably not a great recommendation. Thank goodness it's only once a month or I'd never lose any weight. *sigh*
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

I go for the Midol and the couch. Works wonders.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    not a food but seated leg presses i shoulda done some:ohwell:
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I second the Midol ^_^
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I realized recently that on my crampiest days, I was craving peanut butter. So I finally had some; a tablespoon, on a spoon. And it helped! I thought it was weird, so I looked into it... turns out protein can relieve those nasty things. Who knew? :smile:

So I'm guessing any protein could help, but PB does it for me, so I eat it. And usually don't touch it the rest of the time.

Feel better!:flowerforyou: