Handling Vacations

Options
How does everyone handle vacations? I'm leaving for a week long Vacation in Hawaii and I'm nervous for how I'm going to keep up on my calorie counting when I'll basically be eating out every meal for a week. Do you just let go for a week and start over when you get back?

I'm trying to tell myself that I need to let go a little while I'm gone and enjoy my time away and stop worrying about every little thing I eat and do while I'm there. At the same time, something nags at me that if I don't stay up with it, I'll get out of habit and come back to find that I gained everything I had lost.

Replies

• jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Vacations can be tough but you can do it. 1-I don't try to lose on vacation. If I can maintain I'm happy. 2-make good meal choices. You don't have to ne perfect but Hawaii has lots of delicious fruit & seafood to try. If you are at a restaurant only eat about half of the meal. 3-be active. Go for lots of walks and swims-this will counterbalance some of the extra. 4-enjoy a Treat, just not everyday. Enjoy your vacation and just tighten up when you get back home. Have fun!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    My goal on vacation is to MOVE more than ever... I love to walk and swim and PLAY (catch, frisbee, whatever!) Eating out can be crazy on the calorie count but I try to keep it light throughout the day and if dinner is a bit high I don't stress. Does it always work to my advantage? No, but hey, you do what you can!
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just spent 10 days in Florida last month and I had the same concerns! I told myself as long as I maintained my weight I'd be happy! I still tracked my calories everyday the best I could depending on where we ate and I didn't log any "exercise" because we mostly swam and walked so I figured if anything, not logging that probably helped me. Came back from vacation and a few days later had my official weigh in and I couldn't believe I actually lost 3.1 pounds in that 2 week time frame! :) So, my advice would be just enjoy your vacation but try to choose healthy choices or at least eat the fun stuff in moderation! :) Have a great time in Hawaii!