Looking for zucchini recipes

Options
tinkermommc
tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
My zucchini plant has gone crazy! I've gotten 8 zucchinis off it already and it's the beginning of July. I gave some away but as I'm trying really hard not to make a zucchini cake, I need some ideas. We grilled some but I was the only one that really liked it. So what's your favorite way to use up zucchini? Thanks!!

Replies

• elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i LOVE grilled zucchini. I could eat it all day.

zucchini pasta - either make strips with a peeler or grate.
    zucchini fritters - grated with pepper, onion, egg
    zucchini fries - cut thin and sprinkle with oil and cheese
    zucchini pizza - cut in half, scrap out insides
    lasagna using zucchini as noodles
    zucchini chips
    zucchini dip
    zucchini brownies (never tried it)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Lucky you. I can't grow it anymore because of darn squash vine borers. I love Zucchini and there are TONS of awesome low cal recipes out there. He's a good one:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I like making pasta out of zucchini! you can use a spiral slicer to make angel hair out of it, or a veggie peeler to make thicker noodles. I LOVE zucchini. its my favorite!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but came across this recipe this morning: http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=2275 Zucchini is one of my favorite summer veggies! :)
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Zucchini - Flax Seed bread or the like.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-pecan-flaxseed-bread-10000001054875/

Just leave out the sugar (or substitute).
  • tinkermommc
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for all the recipes so far!! It all sounds so delicious! Now I'm excited to see how many zucchini this plant can produce!!
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like making pasta out of zucchini! you can use a spiral slicer to make angel hair out of it, or a veggie peeler to make thicker noodles. I LOVE zucchini. its my favorite!
    do you happen to know where i can get one of those spiral slicers in stores?
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    do you happen to know where i can get one of those spiral slicers in stores?

mine came from my roommate. I think she bought it online. but you could try bed bath beyond.. they have tons of kitchen gadget. I remember the box it came in had chinese characters.. so maybe an asian store?
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Does your family like spicy food? I liked it cooked years ago in the oven with some cayenne pepper but you cant use a lot its very potent. I love roasted veggies, especially asparagus. You could try to find some recipes for roasting it?
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pizza bites! I am actually having it for dinner tomorrow!

Calories: 124.8 • Fat: 5.7 g • Protein: 8.2 g • Carb: 10.4 g • Fiber: 3.0 g

Ingredients:

4 slices large zucchini 1/4" thick (or 1 medium zucchini cut on diagnal)
    Spray olive oil (I used my Misto)
    2 tbsp pizza sauce
    1/4 cup part skim mozzarella
    salt and pepper

Directions:

Cut zucchini about 1/4 inch thick. Spray both side lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil or grill for about 2 minute on each side. Top with sauce and cheese and broil for an additional minute or two. (Careful not to burn cheese)
  • CeCe_oceansoul_420
    CeCe_oceansoul_420 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to do with zucchini is slice it or dice it, and toss it with squash, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and turkey kielbasa or chicken sausage, add some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook it in the oven at 400 degrees for about a half hour, stirring once or twice. It is soooooooooo good. And healthy!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    You could make oven baked zucchini sticks with dill-ranch dip. :)

To make the zucchini sticks, first preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Next, slice two zucchinis length wise, and then slice both halves in half horizontally. Then, quarter each quarter vertically to make sticks. Next, get two medium sized shallow bowls. Fill one bowl with three beaten egg whites. Fill the other bowl with a half of a cup of flour, three tablespoons of corn meal, salt, and pepper. Dip each stick in the egg whites, and then completely covered them in the flour and cornmeal mixture. Place the uncooked zucchini sticks on a baking sheet, and bake them for 15 minutes.

To make the dill-ranch dip, get a medium-sized mixing bowl. Combine half of an 8oz container of light sour cream, a tablespoon of dried dill weed, a half of a tablespoon of seasoned salt, a teaspoon of onion powder, and a teaspoon of pepper.

Enjoy!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    http://onceamonthmom.com/turkey-zucchini-burgers/

made several batches last weekend to put in the freezer, really quite tasty. Just remember to squeeze out any excess water from the zucchini if its sits too long after grating it

Nutritional Information: Serving Size = 1 burger. Calories – 144, Total Fat – 1 g, Total Carbohyrdrates – 3.5 g, Protein – 27.6 g. Dietary Fiber – 0.5g WW Plus Points: 3
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini in place of pasta. I make large ribbons out of it with a peeler (skin and all). Or, Ill take my titan tools and make faux noodles out of it.

I also use the ribbons for making lasagna as well.
  • tulip1949
    tulip1949 Posts: 1
    Options
    I shred zucchini and saute with onions and garlic. After it is tender, drain off any extra liquid and melt some velvetta over it.
    I don't know the calorie count but it is very low in carbs.
    Shirley
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If it's a large Zucchini try Stuffing it!

Cut the Zucchinin in half lengthwise.. then scoop out the center to make a hallow place for your stuffing.

Take what was scooped out and place it into a bowl- you will use it!

Brown up some Ground Turkey, Onions, Garlic and any seasonings you'd like.. Add some Diced Tomatoes and their Juice (canned)
    You could do any kind of Canned Tomato Really.. Then add in the Scooped out Zucchini!

Mix all this together and then fill each side of the Zucchini- Bake for 40 mins or so covered with Foil.

You could also add some cooked Rice to the "stuffing mix"
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    zucchini tots. they are amazing. there is a thread on here for them.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You could make oven baked zucchini sticks with dill-ranch dip. :)

To make the zucchini sticks, first preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Next, slice two zucchinis length wise, and then slice both halves in half horizontally. Then, quarter each quarter vertically to make sticks. Next, get two medium sized shallow bowls. Fill one bowl with three beaten egg whites. Fill the other bowl with a half of a cup of flour, three tablespoons of corn meal, salt, and pepper. Dip each stick in the egg whites, and then completely covered them in the flour and cornmeal mixture. Place the uncooked zucchini sticks on a baking sheet, and bake them for 15 minutes.

To make the dill-ranch dip, get a medium-sized mixing bowl. Combine half of an 8oz container of light sour cream, a tablespoon of dried dill weed, a half of a tablespoon of seasoned salt, a teaspoon of onion powder, and a teaspoon of pepper.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for this.... will try for sure.
  • tinkermommc
    Options
    Yumm...Stuffed zucchini for dinner tonight and those zucchini sticks will be on the menu soon!!
  • rmandree
    rmandree Posts: 9
    Options
    This is my daughter's favorite veggie. A staple in our house. I usually just saute them with olive or canola oil, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Sometimes I will sprinkle Mrs. Dash just to flavor it once in a while. :smile: