Grip failing

Options
Grip is the limiting factor on shrugs and deads for me at the moment. I'm working on it, but haven't gotten it where it needs to be yet.

Unfortunately for me, I forgot my lifting straps at home and going to get them isn't an option. What would you do? This is my last lift of the week and pulls are all I have left.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem (although I've never worn straps)

It did get better with time :) Heavier weights helped as I found with lower weights/higher reps my grip would fail before I got the reps I wanted. Also, the heavier weights themselves actually helped the grip. Although with deadlifts now I also put the bar down fully with each rep, this way if my grip is failing I can quickly readjust.

If it's sweatiness that's causing lack of grip, maybe chalk will help if you gym allows it?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    for a quick fix, sorry, i don't have any suggestion other then to just put the weight down, wipe your hands and/or readjust, and go back at it.

over time, my grip got a lot stronger as my shoulders and forearms got stronger.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Since straps arent an option today, use a mixed grip. One over, one under. Be careful not to pull with the bicep or bend the elbow when using a mixed grip...easy way to tear a bicep.

Or steal some chalk from someone. not much else you can do today
  • sportsforfun
    sportsforfun Posts: 353
    Options
    Keep lifting hard and heavy and the grip gets stronger just like the rest of your muscles. Really is no quick fix for it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have been working on it and it is getting better. But I was using straps for my heaviest sets so that I could keep progressing on those lifts while working at it. It sounds like there isn't a quick thing I can do for just today...oh well.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I had to help my wife with this morning, a quick reset when the bar rests on the floor got her through the set, time and effort is the only fix
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mixed Grip, and dry your hands, depending on the gym maybe someone has chalk you could use? heh
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    powdered chalk is banned in my gym, but I saw someone using liquid chalk in a bottle whch could be an option if your gym banned chalk too...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Grip is the limiting factor on shrugs and deads for me at the moment. I'm working on it, but haven't gotten it where it needs to be yet.

Unfortunately for me, I forgot my lifting straps at home and going to get them isn't an option. What would you do? This is my last lift of the week and pulls are all I have left.

Do you wear straps on a regular basis with every or most lift(s)? If so, stop for now and if you have to back off on the weight then do it. You'll build your grip strength better in the long run if you don't use them. Also, do some forearm or hammer curls to help strengthen your grip. Farmer's Walks are also good ways to work on grip strength.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have been working on it and it is getting better. But I was using straps for my heaviest sets so that I could keep progressing on those lifts while working at it. It sounds like there isn't a quick thing I can do for just today...oh well.

mixed grip. you'll be amazed what a marked difference it makes.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Do you wear straps on a regular basis with every or most lift(s)? If so, stop for now and if you have to back off on the weight then do it. You'll build your grip strength better in the long run if you don't use them. Also, do some forearm or hammer curls to help strengthen your grip. Farmer's Walks are also good ways to work on grip strength.

I only use them on my heaviest sets for deads and shrugs. I think I'm going to just have to layup my workout today and go for volume. My gym doesn't allow chalk.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

I've been using a mixed grip, but the bar still slides down to my fingers
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ask them why they don't allow liquid chalk?

Grip training is the answer, or just stop using straps. Be careful not to have your grip training interfere with your pull days.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Ask them why they don't allow liquid chalk?

Grip training is the answer, or just stop using straps. Be careful not to have your grip training interfere with your pull days.

I'm not really sure why, but their gym: their rules and I can't argue with the awesomeness of being a block from work.

I have been working on my grip, the problem is it's not quite there yet and I still want to have a pull day today. It's pretty obvious I just need to sack up and lift for volume for today instead...I hate pulling for volume lol.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I've been using a mixed grip, but the bar still slides down to my fingers

hmm. what if you started out with the bar at your fingers in the first place. would it stay put there? the sliding down of the bar is what's painful, and what chalk helps with. you're supposed to make hooks with your fingers and the bar rests in the hook. i think a lot of people's instinct might be to try to hold the bar up higher in the palm. (perhaps i've misunderstood your situation though)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    hmm. what if you started out with the bar at your fingers in the first place. would it stay put there? the sliding down of the bar is what's painful, and what chalk helps with. you're supposed to make hooks with your fingers and the bar rests in the hook. i think a lot of people's instinct might be to try to hold the bar up higher in the palm. (perhaps i've misunderstood your situation though)

I had thought my placement was good but I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Squeeze hard, alternate grip, get a towel for your hands, as much skin as you can on the bar and have a go at locking your thumb over your finger. It might get you an extra rep.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I only use them on my heaviest sets for deads and shrugs. I think I'm going to just have to layup my workout today and go for volume. My gym doesn't allow chalk.

Damn, that sucks. For now I would seriously just ditch them and work on grip strength.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

so true
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    So I tried this and it didn't really work for me. I think my hand placement is right I just need to improve my grip.
    Damn, that sucks. For now I would seriously just ditch them and work on grip strength.
    This was basically the answer. I just needed to sack up and stop being such a crybaby. I gave it a shot, and actually PR'd in deads today. My shrugs sucked, but whatever.